Rage broadheads

dreaming

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Are there any regulations/restrictions regarding mechanical broadheads in south africa? I am going in May of 2011 for a rifle/bow hunt and am in love with the 2 blade Rage broadhead. I will only be hunting plainsgame.....does anyone have any bad experience with this? I shoot a 70# Hoyt Alphamax with a heavy weight hunting arrow, matched with the 125 Rage.

Hi Dreaming

I could be wrong but as far as I know there are no regulations or restrictions on plains game? Giraffe might be one in question here?:confused:

I would have to say that I was not a big fan of Rage at first but after using them a few time’s I would go as far as recommending them to a client!:p

Here is what a rage did on a Zebra pretty big cutting diameter.
Piet Zebra.JPG
They are very reliable and seem to group extremely well on long distances which helps a lot when you want to walk and stalk game.

I have found that they do not penetrate as much as fixed blade broad heads but in saying that they do open up a hole LOL. It sounds like you are shooting a pretty heavy arrow so that might make up what you would lose in penetration.

Hope this helps have a great hunt!:D

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

dreaming,

I am not an authority on the regs, but when I went to RSA last year my outfitter and PH highly recommended the Rage broadhead specifically for plains game. Simply put they loved them. I have nothing against them (I used them on whitetails last year and previously used Rocky Mountain Snypers-very similar to Rage), but instead chose to use a tough 3 blade fixed blade head. My friend that I went with did use Snypers on his red hartebeest and blesbok with very good success.

As an engineer by trade I have never been a fan of things that seem to be too complicated (i.e. using moving parts when you don't have to), but I have seen some pretty good results with these heads. If I ever went back, I would have to consider them.

I hope this thread stays constructive and helpful for you as this topic seems to be a very heated one on other forums.

nd

dreaming, At this time there is no regulations or restrictions regarding the importation of mechanical broadheads in South Africa. As a general rule, there is no regulations or restrictions regarding the use of mechanical broadheads however since South Africa’s provinces have sometimes different regulations regarding the standard of bow equipment to be used, I would recommend you to ask your hunting outfitter about the specifics for the province(s) where you will be hunting.

Could someone clarify for me the below statement by ABO?

African Bowhunting Organisation (ABO) information

The hunting of some pachyderms is now illegal within our borders (referring to South Africa). Currently, bow hunting of the following animals are prohibited:
• Elephant
• Rhino
• All cat species…. Including but not limited to Lion & Leopard
• Crocodile
• Hippo

Professional Hunter's Association of South Africa (PHASA) information

Minimum Recommendations for COMPOUND BOWS
Game - Draw Weight - Arrow Weight
Small game - 40 lb - 400 grain
Medium game - 70 lb - 550 grain
Buffalo, Elephant, Rhino, Hippo - 80 lb- 700 grain

AH information

Bow hunting is legal in most of South Africa’s provinces, although restrictions may be imposed according to species. Requirements may also be imposed for the standard of equipment to be used. Bow hunting in most provinces must be done under special permit which needs to be arranged in advance by your hunting outfitter. Also provinces have different regulations regarding bow hunting dangerous game. Because there is no central location where all of the provinces rules and regulations are posted, you should ask your hunting outfitter to supply you with the latest regulations before booking a bow hunting safari.

Bow hunting big five and/or dangerous game, such as bowhunting Elephant, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Lion and Leopard is legal in some provinces of South Africa.

Recommended Minimum Equipment Requirements for Bow hunting in South Africa
• Big Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 700 grain
(Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, Buffalo)
• Medium Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 70 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 550 grain
(Kudu, Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
• Small Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 40 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 400 grain
(Warthog, Nyala, Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Backed Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)

Thanks Jerome for confirming that one for us!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!