Qatar Airways??

The hotel inside the airport, as far as I know there is only one, returned my email and for the 8 hours it was almost $400 US per stay.

A 8 hr day room for $400???? I wouldn't pay that much either, but that's more than the 24 hr rate. That seems odd or incorrect. Expedia shows $287 per night for a mid June 2018 date.

I may be wrong, I'll have to go through my emails. What ever it was, it was too much.

they do have place in the airport you can take a shower. airport video on youtube looks super nice

She's good with sleeping on the floor of the airport waiting area if it means she can shoot more animals. LOL

It's great to hear there are kids out there whose heads are in still in the right place. Good job raising her mate!

Yeah, this trip was her idea and she has more animals on the hit list than I do. She just turned 17, so no need for that documentation, and missed that part on the CITES with the Mt. Zebra, so no need for that paperwork. Not traveling with a firearm, no paperwork there. Before I booked the plane tickets, I called and inquired about their rules for archery equipment and there shouldn't be any problems there. Calling CDC today as their website suggests that we have Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Malaria, and Rabies prevention. ??? Uhh, ok???

She just turned 17, so no need for that documentation Calling CDC today as their website suggests that we have Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Malaria, and Rabies prevention. ??? Uhh, ok???

You might double check on the age 17 deal. I thought it was under 18 and only one parent traveling that required copies of birth certificate, affidavit from the other parent, etc.
http://www.embassyofnamibia.se/index.php/consular-matters/travelling-abroad-with-children

As far as the shots........somewhat optional for Namibia. I got 7 shots (4 in one arm, 3 in the other) when I went to work in Angola.

Im planning to do full review of them in a couple weeks, as I leave March 18th returning on the 28th. Hopefully this can help other members decide to take or avoid Qatar Airways as well as the likely long layover in Doha.

My goal is to have photos of the planes, economy seating, meal options, entertainment options. I also plan to document my time outside the airport in Doha on the 10 hour layover, including how easy customs is to clear, taxi service from airport to Souq Waqif, and the return back thru security after returning to airport.
Dave
I really look forward and thank you in advance for the report. I am contemplating Qatar for next year with my group safari to Namibia. Are you sitting in coach? Let us know about how that is.
Philip

Yeah, this trip was her idea and she has more animals on the hit list than I do. She just turned 17, so no need for that documentation, and missed that part on the CITES with the Mt. Zebra, so no need for that paperwork. Not traveling with a firearm, no paperwork there. Before I booked the plane tickets, I called and inquired about their rules for archery equipment and there shouldn't be any problems there. Calling CDC today as their website suggests that we have Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Malaria, and Rabies prevention. ??? Uhh, ok???
You likely don’t need any vaccinations for Namibia save tetanus. You only have malaria concerns in caprivi.

You might double check on the age 17 deal. I thought it was under 18 and only one parent traveling that required copies of birth certificate, affidavit from the other parent, etc.
http://www.embassyofnamibia.se/index.php/consular-matters/travelling-abroad-with-children

As far as the shots........somewhat optional for Namibia. I got 7 shots (4 in one arm, 3 in the other) when I went to work in Angola.
The way I read this it is a suggestion based on RSA requirements. Nowhere does it state this is the law of Namibia. That said going to Namibia with a child, whether traveling throughout RSA or not, you should have the RSA required documentation in the unlikely event you have to travel home through RSA. I will be taking my then 13 year old son next year.
Philip

I guess it's better to be safe, than sorry, in regards to the paperwork. I was thinking a tetanus shot was a good thing to have, even though they didn't mention it on the CDC website. And I wasn't worried about the Malaria as we will be far from the Caprivi. The others? I'll be calling the CDC today and ask them some questions. I do appreciate all the input.

Bushwacker, noticed you are in San Antonio. Did you use a travel agent and, if so, who? Thanks.

No travel agent, just researched the crap out of flights, airlines, and layover options. Used Google Flights, it's the only way to go if buying your own tickets. Again, I know to most, a couple of hundred bucks for a travel agent is a small price, but add that couple hundred to the hotel in the airport, upgraded seats, etc. and that's more to put toward the fun stuff. If I were traveling with firearms and having to go through countries where firearms are a problem, then a travel agent would be worth the extra cost. I chose not to utilize one, time will tell if that was a mistake.

Dave
I really look forward and thank you in advance for the report. I am contemplating Qatar for next year with my group safari to Namibia. Are you sitting in coach? Let us know about how that is.
Philip
Yes, I have a basic economy seat. As a single guy on budget, couldn't justify the extra $4K for business class. Since im taking digital camera, gopro, camcorder, and iphone...my goal is document everything and sort when I get home what I keep and what I delete. So should have plenty of photos of the flight, seats, food, entertainment options, bathrooms, airport, leaving airport to enjoy Doha, and what not. I figure its the least I can do to help others trying to decide on their hunts since everyone on here has been so helpful in my planning of this first safari.

I researched a lot of the flight options before booking, and basically it came down to United/Turkish, United/Ethiad, or American/Qatar. I've heard good things about all 3 non-us carriers and just a matter of what had better layover options since all were within like $20 of each other. Layover in Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, or Doha for 8-22 hours...so just decided to do Qatar because I got miles thru American for the flight, and since then have checked with both AA and Qatar, personally I get 50% of my Qatar miles for AA frequent flyer program...so ill end up with around 11,000 miles toward future flights. My buddy is flying from Alaska and going thru Dubai, so ill get his report on flying Emirates and add to my report.

I've flown SA, Emirates , Delta and BA to SA and I really couldn't tell much difference between them. Emirates was more of a hassle with archery equipment and the layovers were longer on BA and Emirates. Delta is still my favorite for the direct flight from Atlanta because it's nonstop. Was able to get a very good deal from Missoula Mt. round trip for $1417 for this coming July from Delta, it was by far the cheapest flight we could get. Also love the Delta app for checking to see whether your luggage made it on the plane, I sleep better knowing my bow is on the plane!

The Delta app is a great bonus, we utilized that on our trip to Alaska this past May.

I think everybody should have a tetanus shot and regular boosters and also the same for Hep A and Hep B. When I got mine a few years ago there was no vaccine for Hep C but that may have changed. Spinal Meningitis is another good one to get. I was going to get one for rabies but was talked out of it. I was told that whether you had it or not you still had to go through the series of shots after getting bit.

I think everybody should have a tetanus shot and regular boosters and also the same for Hep A and Hep B. When I got mine a few years ago there was no vaccine for Hep C but that may have changed. Spinal Meningitis is another good one to get. I was going to get one for rabies but was talked out of it. I was told that whether you had it or not you still had to go through the series of shots after getting bit.

I had meningitis two years ago, I can not tell you how horrible it was. The pain was beyond belief for about 4 days and then just terrible for a couple more. I was in the hospital for 8 days. The vaccine doesn't cover all the causes, but it can help protect against some of them.

I've flown SA, Emirates , Delta and BA to SA and I really couldn't tell much difference between them. Emirates was more of a hassle with archery equipment and the layovers were longer on BA and Emirates. Delta is still my favorite for the direct flight from Atlanta because it's nonstop. Was able to get a very good deal from Missoula Mt. round trip for $1417 for this coming July from Delta, it was by far the cheapest flight we could get. Also love the Delta app for checking to see whether your luggage made it on the plane, I sleep better knowing my bow is on the plane!
Jeff
How far in advance did you book. You stole that ticket! I paid $2400 just for the DL 200 flight for August.
Philip

Phillip I just booked them Feb. 12th I know we got a smokin deal because two years ago we paid $1703 and that was the best deal I could find then. Last year I flew Emirates in July also and paid $1470 from Missoula but instead of arriving at 5:30 pm the next day, it didn't arrive until 6:00 am the following morning and that makes for very long trip.

I sent an email to the Oryx airport hotel and asked them about day room rates, as their website doesn't provide a price. They sent me a table, with prices in Qatari Riyals. A day room isn't much cheaper than a full 24 hour rate. The cheapest rate for two persons is 900 Riyal or about $260.........pretty darn expensive.

upload_2018-3-8_7-32-16.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg