Problem with ruger M77 RLS in 270

Check the ejector button to see if it's jammed.

Shot it when first got it...actually used it here in zambia on a hunt in 1990
OK try ruling a few things out, loosen the action screws a few turns, try the bolt, if still no remove the bolt shroud and try. I've seen where the safety link has bent and doesn't fully put the locking piece back into fire so pull the action from the stock and try that if you get that far.

Screenshot_20240313-175228_Gallery.jpg

Above is 270 round in muzzle ..below is 7x57 round

Screenshot_20240313-175236_Gallery.jpg

OK try ruling a few things out, loosen the action screws a few turns, try the bolt, if still no remove the bolt shroud and try. I've seen where the safety link has bent and doesn't fully put the locking piece back into fire so pull the action from the stock and try that if you get that far.

OK thanks will try in morning..and that applies to ones with the tang safety as well?....getting time for dinner here... :D Beers:

Need to shoot it to get an empty..... :E Big Grin:
Lol you could pull a bullet but if you don't have a reloading press you may mess the neck up, like I said it's probably not a throat problem since you shot it before just ruling things out. One last question before you enjoy you dinner and go to bed. Was the gun taken apart after you last shot it, the bolt closes with out ammo correct.

There is one other possibility that comes to my mind. If you have developed a carbon ring then your cartridge may not chamber. Not the most likely but its on the list. They can be a pain to clean out but it can be done. Good luck with your problem.
Bruce

Lots of good ideas. Another thought. I’d inspect the back side of the claw extractor, look for a burr or odd bend or something preventing it fully snapping into place.

In case you don't have the manual handy, attached are two versions for the M77 tang safety version. As others have mentioned, taking the bolt apart and giving it a good cleaning is probably worthwhile.

1710352092971.png

Attachments

• m77-above79.pdf
    875.1 KB · Views: 21
  • m77-below79.pdf
    884.4 KB · Views: 25
Does the rifles headspace appear to be correct?
I would remove bolt and drop a live (factory loaded) round into the chamber and see if it fully seats - and also easily falls out.

Is the safety on safe?

Lol you could pull a bullet but if you don't have a reloading press you may mess the neck up, like I said it's probably not a throat problem since you shot it before just ruling things out. One last question before you enjoy you dinner and go to bed. Was the gun taken apart after you last shot it, the bolt closes with out ammo correct.

Not taken apart was just put in the safe for long time...and yup cycles perfectly with no ammo in it....

Methinks that your problem may actually be in the safety. If you have the safety on the bolt should be locked and you should be unable to open it. This makes me think that the safety is stuck in the on position, which would prevent the bolt from closing. Make sure that the safety is truly on or off. I will try this on my 2 Rugers when I get half.an opportunity this evening.

Methinks that your problem may actually be in the safety. If you have the safety on the bolt should be locked and you should be unable to open it. This makes me think that the safety is stuck in the on position, which would prevent the bolt from closing. Make sure that the safety is truly on or off. I will try this on my 2 Rugers when I get half.an opportunity this evening.

But can close the bolt with no round ....with bolt cocked and closed with safety on can't pull the trigger but can open it...same as on a 3 position Winchester type safety if in middle position

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredFri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!