Potentially stupid question

AtlBGhunter

AH senior member
Joined
Oct 16, 2019
Messages
62
Reaction score
186
Location
Atlanta, GA
Media
48
Hunting reports
Africa
4
I’ve been able to accumulate a fair amount of skins through my various adventures. I wanted to see if it is possible to turn hair on tanned hides into useable leather. I recently got some boots made out of a gator and they told me they’d love to work with buff, kudu etc. if anyone has any experience. Please let me know.
IMG_0749.jpeg
 
Never seen hair on boots before.

Looks like something one of my female cowgirlfashionista coworkers would wear.
 
Jerry Jeff Walker had a pair of hair on boots back in my youth and I thought they were awesome back then. I may have evolved over the years, but I have actually thought of getting a pair made with a cape buffalo backskin. They would either be awesome--or an epic fail. Difficult to tell until made. :-)
 
That is the problem with custom leather goods.

I had some custom bags made out of that mahogany colored latigo leather years ago. They are beautiful

Ordered some boots out of the same leather and they look like hell. Nice color, but they pick up so much dirty being oil tanned.
 
I don't think that's possible OP. During the tanning process, the hair is stripped from the hide during the early stages; thus you can have a leather product. Once through the tanning process with hair on, I don't think there's a way to slip the hair off the leather.
 
I am interested to hear if anyone has actually tried it. I am skeptical the fished leather would come out anything like expected, but I suppose it depends on the specific tanning method originally used.
 
In
the tanning process the hide is soaked in lye I believe to loosen and remove the hair. This is done before the actual tanning process even starts.

If it could be done I would imagine that it would be quite costly.

But here's a suggestion, have the boots made with the hair othe inside.
 
In
the tanning process the hide is soaked in lye I believe to loosen and remove the hair. This is done before the actual tanning process even starts.

If it could be done I would imagine that it would be quite costly.

But here's a suggestion, have the boots made with the hair othe inside.

The "other" side is a suede finish and likely not an even finish at that. It won't contain the leather grain people seek for boots. purses etc. That grain is on the hair side of leather.

OP, guess you'll have to make another trip to kill some stuff to make boots. Seems like a reasonable solution to me :ROFLMAO:
 
The "other" side is a suede finish and likely not an even finish at that. It won't contain the leather grain people seek for boots. purses etc. That grain is on the hair side of leather.

OP, guess you'll have to make another trip to kill some stuff to make boots. Seems like a reasonable solution to me :ROFLMAO:
It is not actually suede, its called a rough out and is a lot more durable than suede. Suede is a scored leather of the hair side. A rough out is the side with no hair. I have a few pairs of rough out boots, they are great.
 
Inuit make and wear hair-on boots from caribou hides. Apparently they wear well.
 
It is my understanding that the tanning process is different. Tanned hides left laying around lose integrity and become very fragile. They will fall apart if you try to rehydrate them. You can tear them apart like tissue.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,220
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top