Plains Game With A .375 ...Recommended ? If so 250 Grain or 300?

charlieB12345

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Wondering if the .375 has enough to reach out and touch some plains game or should I pack a more long distance rifle?

Absolutely yes.
Use 250-270 grains bullets and the limit is your capability from shooting sticks.

Ive used a 375 on PG fairly extensively..

you should be able to manage shots out to 200+ even with 300gr projectiles.. which is plenty of range for many properties in southern africa..

of course a lot depends on where you are going.. Limpopo is very different from the Eastern Cape.. which is very different from most of Namibia.. etc..etc..

Took a zebra once with 300g TSX at a ranged 275 yards Rifle was sighted in dead on at 100 yds as I was hunting buffalo. Held just below the withers (at least that was the intent.).

Wondering if the .375 has enough to reach out and touch some plains game or should I pack a more long distance rifle?
300 grain will do about everything. If you want to get really specialized and bring just one rifle, use Talley QD scope mounts/rings and bring two different scopes for two different loads. I have a scope for 300 grain A-Frame and another scope for 270 grain Barnes LRX but I usually just use the 300 grain load/scope.

250 or 270 gr is what the bullet manufacturers recommended to me for 250+ yard shots

hornday DGX states 150 meter is at max range
barnes stated 1800 fps is designed max range
Hornday 250 CX 2000fps max range
Swift has a picture chart

IMG_0839.png
IMG_0840.png

I’ve done several 1 gun safari with just a 375 H&H. I took all these at 200-330 yards with 250 gr TTSX and a 5x Leupold. 300 gr would work equally well. I took a jackal that afternoon too. I have a 100, 200, 300 yard range and know where my rifles shoot at those distances. I’m not a Leupold CDS fan but it could really have some value on a 375 H&H for longer shots.
IMG_3439.jpeg

Whichever one is most accurate in your rifle. While most shots will not require holdover, it is good to have a holdover system that works for you.

Best of luck

I think that bringing two separate bullet weights is asking for trouble. If you're only hunting PG and nothing else, then a good 250 or 270 gr bullet should do fine. But if you're also hunting buffalo or larger game, and are going to use 300 gr bullets for the larger animals, I'd stick with 300 gr for everything. Keep it simple.

I’ve shot 300g out of a 375 H&H with a firm rest over 275 yards with no problems. And I’ve missed off the sticks at around 200 yards. The round will make the distance, it’s the shooter’s ability.

Define "reach out and touch". How far do you foresee yourself shooting? How far can you accurately and confidently shoot that 375? How far is your PH going to feel comfortable allowing you to take a shot?

I'm no expert, but I have shot a fair amount of plains game - the majority of those shots were less than 200 yds with a few in the 250 - 300 yd range. What I have experienced - the PH is going to get you as close as he can.

What and where do you intend to hunt? Will you have cover to get within a couple hundred yards or less, or will you be forced to "reach out" like a sheep hunter? There's also the possibility you'll be in thick brush with limited visibility.

What caliber is your long distance rifle, and what do you consider long distance? I shoot my 300 PRC 2000 yds at the range but there's no way I'd consider hunting with it.

Take whichever rifle(s) you are comfortable shooting.

I am not the guy to tell you to limit yourself to 1. When I go to Africa I typically take 3.

As for different weight bullets of the same caliber; I've never done it, I think it's most likely the best way to insure the wrong one will be loaded in your rifle when the situation presents itself to have the other.

Good hunting.

Define "reach out and touch". How far do you foresee yourself shooting? How far can you accurately and confidently shoot that 375? How far is your PH going to feel comfortable allowing you to take a shot?

I'm no expert, but I have shot a fair amount of plains game - the majority of those shots were less than 200 yds with a few in the 250 - 300 yd range. What I have experienced - the PH is going to get you as close as he can.

What and where do you intend to hunt? Will you have cover to get within a couple hundred yards or less, or will you be forced to "reach out" like a sheep hunter? There's also the possibility you'll be in thick brush with limited visibility.

What caliber is your long distance rifle, and what do you consider long distance? I shoot my 300 PRC 2000 yds at the range but there's no way I'd consider hunting with it.

Take whichever rifle(s) you are comfortable shooting.

I am not the guy to tell you to limit yourself to 1. When I go to Africa I typically take 3.

As for different weight bullets of the same caliber; I've never done it, I think it's most likely the best way to insure the wrong one will be loaded in your rifle when the situation presents itself to have the other.

Good hunting.
It would be my 300 win mag loaded with 200 grain swift aframes ....and when I say reach out I mean in the 4-500 yard ranges

375 will do it. 260 and 300 grain nosler partitions will open up at 500 yards. The 250 tts by Barnes shoots a little flatter. All three group well in my guns.

It would be my 300 win mag loaded with 200 grain swift aframes ....and when I say reach out I mean in the 4-500 yard ranges
Where are you planning on hunting? Most PHs will highly discourage taking 400 or 500 yard shots. I’ve done 11 trips to several countries in Africa. The longest shot I’ve taken has been 360 yards however there have also been trips I’ve never shot over 100 yards the entire trip.

I've not used a 300 Win Mag on plains game, but I have used my 300 Wthrby Mag - quite successfully.

No doubt there will be plenty of responses concerning both the 300 Win Mag and your anticipated range.

May I ask where and what you intend to be shooting in the 400-500 yd range?

I've used 270's all the way down to steenbok, and out to 300 yards. For most bush hunts you'd be hard pressed to shoot 400-500 unless down a two track fence line. But I've used 270 win 130's and 300 HH 180's on plains game too.

All day long! I used my CZ-550 in 375 H&H in the Eastern Cape, I shot everything from Warthog to a big cow Buffalo, all with 300 grs TSX. That is where I became I true believer of the 375 H&H, and what it was capable of. Practice, know your rifle and learn the ballistics of the bullets you'll be using, and you'll be set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Escamp

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt