Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
SCI Brush Country Chapter
Hunted
Kalahari; Limpopo, South Africa; Omay, Zimbabwe; Czech Republic; Mexico; Texas; New Mexico; Colorado
1686323454318.png

Article focuses on the shark tooth but the boar tusks caught my eye :). It's either two tusks fused together, and could be possible given the discolored middle section, OR it's a giant curved tusk ! Seems to have been included in a wealthy person's jewelry stash. Oh how the times have changed.

Last edited:
Those come from micronesia islands , still cool though
IMG_0367.png
IMG_0368.png

View attachment 538811

Article focuses on the shark tooth but the boar tusks caught my eye :). It's either two tusks fused together, and could be possible given the discolored middle section, OR it's a giant curved tusk ! Seems to have been included in a wealthy person's jewelry stash. Oh how the times have changed.
@buck wild, I think that the boar tusks that caught your eye is a Vanuatu Pig tusk.

Vanuatu Pig Tusk

Perfectly circular Vanuatu pig tusk from a 20 to 25 years of age pig.

Length: 14.37 inch (36.5 cm)
Girth: 2.25 inch (5.7 cm)
Diameter: 4.52 inch (11.5 cm)

Pigs are a traditional symbol of wealth and status in Vanuatu. Pigs arrived in the islands with the first Melanesian settlers, and are the only mammal to populate the island simultaneously with humans. There are no indigenous large mammals. Pig ownership came to be a sign of status, wealth and power. Pig killing became an important ritual, a way of showing social standing and proclaiming political power. Elaborate boar raising strategies were developed in order to produce the highly prized circular tusks.

Vanuatu's flag has two horizontal bands (red on top, green on the bottom) and a black triangle on the edge by which it is hoisted, with the regions separated by yellow stripes. The boar's tusk and namele fern are in the black triangle. The red represents the blood of boars and men, the green the richness of the islands, the black the Ni-Vanuatu people, and the yellow the light of the Gospel (Vanuatu is about 90% Christian).

The coat of arms of Vanuatu also features a boar's tusk and two ferns, in front of which a Melanesian warrior stands, holding a spear, on top of a scroll that reads "Long God yumi stanap". This national motto translates into English as "In God we stand".

full

full

full

full

full

Vanuatu Sacred Pig (source: https://turtlebaybeachhouse.com/vanuatu-sacred-pigs/)
vanuatu-sacred-pig.jpg

Chieftain Jean-Denis with wild boar tusks
source:

Attachments

• boar-tusks.jpg
    boar-tusks.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grat

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.