Philosophy of Hunting

franzfmdavis

AH member
Reaction score
Out of personal interest, I would appreciate if you would share a favorite quote on hunting.

Here is mine:

“When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: ‘By the same power that slays you, I to am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven’.” From The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

I first wrote this on the interior lid of my tackle box when I was 15, and I have referred to it since for every fish and animal I have harvested.

“Who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

T.R.

( Comes in handy when walking in on elephants, or following up a buff after the shot) :cool:

“Who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

T.R.

( Comes in handy when walking in on elephants, or following up a buff after the shot) :cool:

I do a radio program for my job and have used that very quote a few times. (y)

"When in doubt, make sure his lights are completely out". Heard it somewhere.

"It was a pleasure to walk in the easy rolling country, simply to walk, and to be able to hunt, not knowing what we might see and free to shoot for the meat we needed." — Ernest Hemingway, “Green Hills of Africa”

Out of personal interest, I would appreciate if you would share a favorite quote on hunting.

Here is mine:

“When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: ‘By the same power that slays you, I to am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven’.” From The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

I first wrote this on the interior lid of my tackle box when I was 15, and I have referred to it since for every fish and animal I have harvested.

I very much like this quote. I must read more of this writer.

My astronomy professor once said, "The universe is about stardust [mass] propelled by energy in some direction." I asked if that included me. A few students laughed. He responded, "Yes, and in all the universe that contains more  stars than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on earth, humans may be the only bits of stardust orbiting this one that can choose the direction the Big Bang sends us. And we only have an infinitely small period of time to make our choices. It's a gift of immeasurable value. Choose wisely." I can't even remember the guy's name. Should dig up my transcripts I guess.

Moral of the story? Don't choose to take poor shots. Or maybe something deeper?

Part of this poem, in its original German is printed on every bottle of Jägermeister

A loose translation which preserves the rhyme and meter is:

This is the hunter's badge of glory,
That he protect and tend his quarry,
Hunt with honour, as is due,
And through the beast to God is true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheila_barwick

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross