Permethrin Application

Martin's 10% permethrin concentrate. You will have to look to make sure it is the 10% concentration. They also make a 13.3% one that DOES have petroleum. I think every brand I have seen in 13.3% concentration includes petroleum distillates. Probably comes off the same assembly line with different labels.

I believe Chewy (dog supply store online) and Tractor supply (online) have the 10% concentrate.

Correct, Martins 10% permethrin is water based. It’s interesting to note that the online listing for this product says “not for clothes.” Regardless, if diluted properly, this is the stuff to use if you have a lot of clothes to treat. This is the stuff vets use to dip dogs for fleas and ticks.
 
I was in from Zambia, Zimbabwe, Eastern cape and Krueger, last month. I sprayed all outer garments with Sawyers Premetherin, and my boot tops. Not one single insect bite of any type. Same with the wife.

I take my Africa clothes and hang them on the shower rod a few days before I pack. Then I spray away covering all surfaces. Let the clothes dry for a day, and pack them. Then rinse out the shower/bath tub.

We did the same 3 years ago too. This process has worked great for us. Zero insect issues.
 
I lay out all clothes including underwear, socks and hat and spray it all front and back. It's effective immediately and lasts through several wash cycles.
I do it the exact same way as you man. Using Sawyer spray, and I do it 2-5 days before I leave for the hunt. For my two SA and one Namibia hunts, it’s worked wonders with way less/zero ticks compared to other guys in camp.
 
Thinking of bringing a bottle when I leave for Zim again in a couple weeks. I've had some run ins with the fast moving attack scorpions the last few trips. Like at least once each time...and its always middle of the night when I might be a little slow moving...possibly even a little tipsy...when the damn things come chasing after me. Along witht he giant shower spiders...which honestly don't bother me, but wouldn't mind having a shower or two without one hanging out with me. Was curious what a light misting around the floor of my open cabin bungalow thingy might do. If it would make a difference at all.
Its a contact pesticide. Spraying around the floor should kill any insects attempting to cross for a week or more if not exposed to rain washing it away. Parents house has issues with the oriental ladybugs, I can spray around entry points(doors windows etc) and it will kill them for several weeks as they attempt to enter
 
I ended up buying and returning Agg grade formula and bought more Sawyer water-based for clothing, gear, and tents.

Is it necessary or recommended to wash after first treatment/spray?
 
I have never washed after the first spray and have never had any issues.
Makes sense. Everything I’ve read or watched says it lasts 6 washings, but once it’s applied and dry, no issue wearing it. I did my socks and underwear too…

Also, depending on frequency of washing while in camp, you could easily exceed 6 washings in a very short period of time. I’m in Moz Coutada 10 for 10 days then Botswana for 9 -10 days… South Africa hunting 4-5 Days.

So management of washings seams to be important. I’ll bring one extra container of 24oz Sawyer Permethrin spray.

I also have various sprays and creams that have been recommended beyond Deet that I’ll apply directly on exposed skin. I’ll report if they work or help…

Only had 1 tick on me from South Africa in multiple trips. That was after setting in a grassy blind all night. I found it and removed it the next morning. Not too worried there.
 
Is there any reason to take any extra spray with you, if so can you take a bottle of sawyers in your checked bag?
 
Yes, because I’m likely to have my laundry done more than six times in 25 days…

Brought an extra bottle in my checked bag
 
Yes, because I’m likely to have my laundry done more than six times in 25 days…

Brought an extra bottle in my checked bag
Fair warning. That stuff loses its effectiveness well before the sixth washing!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,280
Messages
1,570,453
Members
168,886
Latest member
OVBEstela0
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top