Opinions on Sako actions for dangerous game rifle

Kudurifle

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I am looking to acquire a 375 Holland & Holland bolt action rifle for dangerous game hunting in Africa and bears here in North America. I have an opportunity to buy a really wonderful custom rifle built on a Sako action. This thing has got everything I have dreamed of: quarter rib, flip up ivory night sight, ebony fore end cap and grip cap, gorgeous wood. It shoots very straight and the price is very good for the quality of the rifle. I am only hung up on the action. I know Sako makes a fine rifle, but the action is not a mauser style controlled claw feed. I know many PH's swear by CZ and the like. I am looking for input from the professionals and long timers who have had experience with both. Thanks very much. Mike

Buy the CZ550 in 375H&H and if you save money, that's more for taxidermy. MHO.

R.

I have the Sako Bavarian 85 in a 375H&H and it is a fantastic rifle. It has never let me down and some of my clients that have used it have also loved the rifle.

Hi Michael,

There was a custom rifle based on a Sako action on here a while back. I believe it was made with an old style Sako action and not their newer model. I just offer that up FYI. I have no idea whether the new action has some advantages but thought I would mention it just in case it was the same gun.

I would buy the Sako it has one of the best actions you can find.

Nothing wrong with the Sako in 375H&H,keep it clean and looked after and you will have no problems. Just like any other rifle. Belted cases with a taper have very little issue with extraction. Only issue you could have is a double feed if you don't close the bolt on a chambered round. Short stroking on either a pushfeed or CRF will have the same results. Sako will be quicker on the second shot all other things being equal on a CRF rifle. You may also find that theSako will allow you to mount the scope lower than a CRF will,which is better in my opinion. As always, no matter what you choose, get to know it and get to know it well.

..I have the t-shirt and the scars and if you were sitting at my campfire, these are some articles I would give you to read. You pays your money and you takes your pick. I use controlled feed because I grew up with it and I trust it..
http://www.gunsandammo.com/hunting/controlled-round-feed-vs-push-feed-rifles/
http://www.chuckhawks.com/controlled_push_feed.htm
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/controlled-feed-vs-push-feed-rifles/
Thank you. I read the articles. Sounds to me like the right test is to run a few hundred rounds through the actual rifle intended of the purpose under every scenario possible and see how it performs. Any rifle can malfunction. Thanks, Mike

Hi Michael,

There was a custom rifle based on a Sako action on here a while back. I believe it was made with an old style Sako action and not their newer model. I just offer that up FYI. I have no idea whether the new action has some advantages but thought I would mention it just in case it was the same gun.
Love to see the post if you can send me a link. Thanks, Mike

Too bad you're so far away, I'd let you shoot mine to help you decide YES

Love to see the post if you can send me a link. Thanks, Mike

I am an Luddite so not sure how. I searched it and I think it is the post "custom 375 H+H". The link within the post seems to be down. If memory serves, it was a custom rifle made in the late '70's :unsure:. I mentioned it because the seller had it listed on multiple websites and I thought there was an off chance you were speaking of the same one. Good luck and I am sorry I am not more use!

I have 5 Sako rifles, and really like them all. I have never had any of them fail for any mechanical reason. All are well made, precise, and good value for the money. I also have a similar number of Mauser type controlled round feed rifles. No serious problems with any of them, but tolerances can vary more with traditional M98 actions, and they are not as smooth to operate. Even the more modern "Controlled round feed" versions like my Rugers do not feed and eject quite as smoothly as the Sakos. My Sakos are generally more accurate and have better triggers/quicker lock time too. So I would suggest you go with the Sako and be happy.

I have a friend that got a Sako bolt in 375 H&H in his face two years ago during a elephant hunt, it was a new rifle... He was hospitalized for a couple of weeks and lucky to get away with a large scare. I know that he was doing attempts to put Sako in court, but decide to let it go because it would be very expensive to fight against a gigant . I know that he also wrote about this on YWH (yeswehunt) a year ago. The rifle was after the accident on some kind of expertise evaluation... but I don't know what was the reason for the bolt to broke ??? It's a nightmare and probably not happens often.

Nothing wrong with it! Every action on the market has had some kind of glitch somewhere...

I personally would trust a Sako

I have a friend that got a Sako bolt in 375 H&H in his face two years ago during a elephant hunt, it was a new rifle . . . The rifle was after the accident on some kind of expertise evaluation . . . but I don't know what was the reason for the bolt to broke ???

Sako has maintained a fine reputation for building high quality firearms for more than 90 years. Although all mechanical things can fail there has been nothing said that directly attributes this particular reported failure to the proper use of the firearm.

With regard to this instance all that has been said is that the firearm is supposed to have been a new Sako, chambered in .375 H&H, that there was a supposed bolt failure and that the firearm handler was injured in the facial area. Subsequent to the occurrence the firearm reportedly received an evaluation by a firearms expert but the outcome of the evaluation is unknown.

Although the incident was truly unfortunate, I wouldn't point a finger at ANY firearms maker without further details being known. Sako has a fine reputation and I certainly trust them.

On my lion hunt my buddy bought a older Sako 375 H& H but new in the box and I worked up the handload for it, preformed flawless on Lion and Cape buffalo, but so did my Remington 700 375, I leave the feed thing to experts but the Sako loved Barnes 300 grain and swift a frames when I worked up the load, happy hunting

Buy the Sako 85 Kodiak, you can hunt around the world from Afrika to Alaska. In 375 H&H mag. the precision is grat and with the bullet selection its up for anything from Deer to Buffalo. A great rifle com wind come rain.
I own it and love it !

Hi Michael,

Not sure. How is the older action different from the newer? Is one better than the other? Thanks, Mike

Sako used a number of different actions over the years in their rifles. I know that at one time, quite some time ago, they had a classic beauty in .375 that was a Mauser type action if I recall. However most of the actions they used are push feed type. The only thing that has kept me from buying a Sako over the years is the cost. They have a beautiful Bavarian model in 7x64 that keeps calling to me, but at nearly 3K, I keep plugging my ears!:D

I have a Sako 85 Kodiak in 375H&H and it performs 100% flawlessly with open sights or my aim point red dot.

If I was to take it to Africa for close range African game I’d use the red dot and bet my life on it working flawlessly. I love this rifle so much and one great thing about it is if you fire all your shots, just keep the bolt open and throw a new round in the chamber and it will feed straight in flawlessly when you push the bolt forward again no problems feeding or extracting. I’d pick it over any other gun I’ve ever used in those regards. Never any problem with the red dot.

Now, one thing to keep in mind is this. Sako 85’s have a reputation for not ejecting the fires cases with low mounted scopes. They seem to eject spend cases in a bit of an upwards direction rather than straight out the side I guess. People say in Europe where 50mm objectives are common they have no problem. But I know it’s a complaint people in America have with their lower mounted scopes. If I’m not running my red dot I have a 1.5-8x scope which is mounted in relatively high mounts (otherwise the front sight obstructs my vision).

I can tell you that although I’ve never had a problem using it, I have seen the potential for problems in using it. If you don’t rip the bolt back fast enough the spent case kind of lazerly pops up and hits the scope and then kind of falls back to the action and then bounces of again and out. What I’m saying is I really think the ejection problems are real. It’s not a myth. For deer hunting it’s no problem and I’d happily take my gun to Africa for non dangerous planes game with my scope. It’s super accurate and the chance of any problem is very low. It’s worth the less than 0.5% chance of a failed follow up shot and the animal getting away and me needing to pay for the trophy fee (as I said it’s never given me a problem) but, if you are worried enough to be doubting the Sako action then I’d say make some dummy rounds and cycle then through the sellers action. Do it slow and fast on different angles etc.
I can’t talk highly enough about Sako’s in general and mine in particular, and with my red dot I’d be happy to hunt lions in thick brush on foot but with a scope maybe not haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg