Official member of the 500 Jeffrey club

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
She finally arrived today. This was the most random stroke of luck I believe I have ever had buying a rifle. Found this thing on a random forum while just googling 500 Jeffrey for sale. I signed up and sent the guy a message and he responded that they did still have the rifle in thier shop. He worked for a Cerakote shop in Oregon and they had an FFL and at some point had ordered this rifle and then the owner purchased it from the shop for his personal collection but it just sat on the shelf for a couple years. A little bit of dealing and I purchased a NIB Sako Brown Bear in 500 Jeffrey. I was worried the whole time, as it seemed the deal might be too good to be true but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Here is a pic of the rifle and it with it's matching 416 rigby. My dies and a stack of CEB solids and Raptors also arrives today and I have a box of 570 grain swift A Frames inbound as well. I need a bit more brass but I got enough to get her running, as well as two boxes of Norma factory ammo. I put 6 rounds through it today before work. Feeding and extractions seem to be right on the money. I'll know more after some more in-depth testing but it looks good so far.

I don't have any WiFi here at work at the moment and I can't get the pictures to load, but I will get them on here.
Recoil on the rifle was not terrible, less muzzle jump than the 460 it seems. It is quite accurate so far. Definitely Minute of Elephant @ beemaa. Ha ha.
What would you all's opinion be on going 1-4 scope or red dot?

20220613_131758.jpg
20220613_133700(1).jpg
20220613_134709.jpg
20220613_134831_HDR.jpg

Congrats and enjoy it nice to have pair like that.

Congrats on the new addition!

Congratz on the 500

Beautiful rifle. Next goal: Get a .505 Gibbs.

I am a big fan of practicing with the same platform you are going to hunt with. With this set up even. Platform redundancy creates muscle memory. With these two rifles no matter which one in shooting all the controls are the same, sight picture, trigger pull, bolt manipulation. In a high stress situation you never rise to the occasion, you fall back to your training.

Nice pair (dogs and Sakos)

Have you decided on a scope for the 500?

Any plans to add weight to stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetlaw

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.