Now is the time to build up your workshop!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by rookhawk, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:13 AM.

1. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Speaking of picking, I was in getting a new V belt for the helve hammer and remembered seeing the(US 50 gal) drums of old bearings at the back of the shop when I picked something up from the no contact pick-up area during the lockdown so asked them what they were doing with them. They go for scrap so I have free reign to take what I want as the outer races are very good steel for forging tools etc. Most are smaller in the drums full so I got some of the 4 inch dia ones but there were a few of the larger ones about 2 ft in dia. I do know that some have been forging from the rollers in that size so will see how I go with the outer races in the meantime but good to know these are there for the taking if I feel the need.
    IMG_20200630_102603.jpg IMG_20200630_102617.jpg

2. steve white

steve white AH Veteran

Member of:
    dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
    Hunted:
    Cape buffalo, plains game
    I recently built a checkering cradle, which is also good for holding a stock for inletting, carving, etc. Cost less than $10 for the materials, too. Picked up a binocular surgical magnifier from a warehouse of retired medical equipment. The lenses are Zeiss, and the lighting works on it. Good for these failing eyes when working on minute projects. Need a good drill press, as I wasted money on a Chinese harbor freight jobber. Have been organizing things into plastic lure boxes. Fixed up a massive vise, but don't know the brand. It's only quirk is that it only locks when swiveled 45 degrees. The lock doesn't tighten otherwise. Still, useful. Cleaned, flattened and sharpened all my planes, chisels, and carving knives. Can't really organize things even if someone stuck a gun to my head. Don't know why--just can't seem to do it. Expanded selection of various hand tools, testers, gauges. Happy with all the upgrades!

3. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International

When I started reading your reply I thought the story was becoming “worlds largest canister Damascus experiment”!

Von Gruff likes this.