Next resurrection......

robtattoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia
Another parts- bin special I'm bringing back to life.

I picked up this badly chopped, uncrowned Husqvarna M46 in 9.3x57 to play with. It's barrel was previously cut, trigger was missing & it'd been badly drilled & tapped for scope bases. None of these holes lined up.
At some point, a Williams receiver sight had been mounted & it looks like the screw snapped or something & the remaining sight base (I assume) was ground off & the gouges filled with JB Weld. The original sight base & dovetail was also ground down, a bit.
What can i say....i have a real soft spot for short barrels!

I got dug into her this afternoon.

20220910_180201.jpg

20220910_180223.jpg

20220910_182533.jpg

20220910_180142.jpg

If anyone happens to know what thread size the screw into the forend is supposed to be, I'd be very grateful for the info!
20220910_182646.jpg

Right now, I've stripped all the bluing & polished the barrel to 800 grit, installed a modified M98 Timney trigger (I was sold a mispackaged part. Thought it was cheap...) re-cut & crowned the barrel & re-drilled & tapped the scope base screws for blanking plugs. The rear most is done, I'm just waiting for the front 2 to set up before i trim & polish them.
I also got the surface rust off the bolt shroud & handle, stripped & cleaned the bolt & blued both parts.

20220922_163436.jpg

Yessir.
I'm putting it all together for a good friend of mine. He does 99% of his hunting for hogs in Florida & 50 yards would be a reeeally long shot. I've got NEGC front & rear bases ordered & I'm going to go with a white or silver bead & shallow V.

I'd really like to put a silver line down the rear express sight, but i haven't quite figured out how yet & google isn't hrdelping!

Neat project. Your work looks really well done so far!

A few progress pics.....
I've soldered & screwed on the rear sight, soldered the front ramp, filled the scope mount holes & taken care of the JB weld. I spent yesterday polishing everything back up & re-bluing it all.
I'm hoping to run to the range this weekend & get the sights regulated for a mid-range, 270gn load (I'm not looking for match accurate, anything inside an inch at 50yds will be fine) then I'll order the front sight to suit (hence the cable tie)
Once i get that all squared away, I'll start on refinishing the stock. I was tempted to leave it alone, since it's only for a couple of tiny nicks, but i grabbed some steel wool this morning & 'made a clean spot'.......dammit.

20221019_135420.jpg

20221019_135457.jpg

20221019_135513.jpg

Looking good so far. You have a gift for far gone relics.
Thank you!

I still haven't managed to get to the range, but i did refinish the stock. Stripped off all the old shellack, steamed out the worst of the dents & started on the oil. 5 applications of Alkanet oil, 3 wet sanded Tru-Oil & 9 more straight applications, sanded in between then buffed out to a satin sheen. Sorry for the crappy photo.

Every time i do this, i swear it'll be the last.......

I've got another on the way

20221028_131940.jpg

Famous last words, "This will be the last project" I understand that statement, but also realize that I will always have several projects on the bench.

Very nice work by the way! I picked up a husky from another AH member that is completely original and starting to work on similar loads to hit where the sights are regulated.

I picked up this badly chopped, uncrowned Husqvarna M46 in 9.3x57 to play with. It's barrel was previously cut, trigger was missing & it'd been badly drilled & tapped for scope bases. None of these holes lined up.
At some point, a Williams receiver sight had been mounted & it looks like the screw snapped or something & the remaining sight base (I assume) was ground off & the gouges filled with JB Weld. The original sight base & dovetail was also ground down, a bit.

View attachment 491304
View attachment 491305
View attachment 491306
View attachment 491307

If anyone happens to know what thread size the screw into the forend is supposed to be, I'd be very grateful for the info!
View attachment 491308

Right now, I've stripped all the bluing & polished the barrel to 800 grit, installed a modified M98 Timney trigger (I was sold a mispackaged part. Thought it was cheap...) re-cut & crowned the barrel & re-drilled & tapped the scope base screws for blanking plugs. The rear most is done, I'm just waiting for the front 2 to set up before i trim & polish them.
I also got the surface rust off the bolt shroud & handle, stripped & cleaned the bolt & blued both parts.

View attachment 491309
@robtattoo
A lot of work but well worth it. I bought an Al rifle once for 50 bucks. The sales oerson asked why a wanted that piece of crap for.

View attachment 491304
View attachment 491305
View attachment 491306
View attachment 491307

View attachment 491308

View attachment 491309
@robtattoo
I told them because. After much work with wet and dry on the metal work and stripping the wood work and refinishing plus a new barrel and rescue.
I took the finished job back and asked if they remembered the piece of junk I bought. They did. When I showed them the finished job they couldn't believe it was the same rifle.
I get great pleasure out of bringing to old and unloved back to life.
Bob

@robtattoo
I told them because. After much work with wet and dry on the metal work and stripping the wood work and refinishing plus a new barrel and rescue.
I took the finished job back and asked if they remembered the piece of junk I bought. They did. When I showed them the finished job they couldn't believe it was the same rifle.
I get great pleasure out of bringing to old and unloved back to life.
Bob
Bob you are a true reniesance man. I find myself gravitating more and more to 100 year old rifles that have never been improved upon and still do the job they were designed for.

Well, NECG finally sent me the front sight blade. That was a loooong 3 months. Long enough that I've handled the rifle a BUNCH & fallen in love with how trim & nimble it is. I have to let her go, since i built her for a buddy, but nothing was going to stop me having my own, so I did another'n

Basically the same deal, but no scope holes to fill, 20" barrel & the original rear sight base. It was pretty much a straight up refinish, although i had to reinstall a front swivel & front sight. The stock was very badly cracked, diagonally across the forearm so i hollowed it all out, filled it with epoxy & re did the inlet.

Still needs bluing & they both need the sights setting up, but this is the pair:
20230225_152855.jpg

Aaaand the second one is finished & sighted in. I pulled a middle range load, again & rather than mess around with development, adjusted the sights to the load. It's absolute dead nuts at 100yds & grouping right around 2" with a 6 O'clock hold.
The more I shoot this rifle, the more I'm appreciating the simplicity of a shallow V, safari style sight, paired with a large white dot front. It's so much quicker & easier to find & plenty accurate for hunting. Easy nice, to my eye than a 'more accurate' narrow notch & fine blade.

20230316_200122.jpg

20230316_200338.jpg

20230316_200242.jpg

Right-o.
Now I need another project......

Yessir.
I'm putting it all together for a good friend of mine. He does 99% of his hunting for hogs in Florida & 50 yards would be a reeeally long shot. I've got NEGC front & rear bases ordered & I'm going to go with a white or silver bead & shallow V.

I'd really like to put a silver line down the rear express sight, but i haven't quite figured out how yet & google isn't hrdelping!

This will be the most dignified hog rig ever created. I love what I’m reading!

Aaaand the second one is finished & sighted in. I pulled a middle range load, again & rather than mess around with development, adjusted the sights to the load. It's absolute dead nuts at 100yds & grouping right around 2" with a 6 O'clock hold.
The more I shoot this rifle, the more I'm appreciating the simplicity of a shallow V, safari style sight, paired with a large white dot front. It's so much quicker & easier to find & plenty accurate for hunting. Easy nice, to my eye than a 'more accurate' narrow notch & fine blade.

View attachment 523343
View attachment 523344
View attachment 523345

Right-o.
Now I need another project......
I had the scribe line on my rear sight filled with gold foil. Really stands out on gloomy or rainy hunts.
ED755D13-FEEC-4240-92B9-AB16F0D44BE6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross