Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
As just reported in the Wall Street Journal:

New Zealand will ban military-style semiautomatic weapons, assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, stepping up its response to Friday’s slaughter of 50 worshipers at two Christchurch mosques by a lone shooter.

Shooter Brenton Tarrant held a valid gun license, but the weapons used in the terrorist attack included semiautomatic rifles that had been illegally upgraded with higher-capacity magazines to enable 30 bullets or more to be fired without reloading. His license restricted his magazine capacity to seven bullets.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said her government would also pay cash to gun owners who surrender their weapons in a nationwide amnesty. The proposed changes, which include an immediate modification to license classifications, have the unanimous support of her inner circle of lawmakers. The ban is expected to take effect in three weeks.

New Zealand’s response mirrors the tightening of regulations that took place more than two decades ago in Australia, where semiautomatic weapons were banned following the 1996 Port Arthur massacre that left 35 dead.

The Australian-born shooter, 28, is in custody after being charged with one count of murder. Police say more charges are likely to follow. He hasn’t entered a plea.

There are between 1.2 million and 1.5 million guns in circulation in New Zealand, police estimates show, according to Gunpolicy.org, an online database of gun crimes and laws hosted by the University of Sydney. Those estimates are unlikely to include guns traded illegally.

About 242,000 people out of a population of more than 4.5 million held a firearm license as of 2015, according to a report prepared for lawmakers.

There is no doubt that the criminal actions of one person were horrific. Much has been said about that on another thread, all of which I second. But he was just that - a criminal, who had already violated the law with respect to the weapons he possessed. The only impact of bans, as many have said, is to disarm law-abiding citizens, while criminals will continue to flaunt the law. Murder has been against the law since time began, yet that did not deter this individual. Why do politicians think that "banning" certain types of guns will result in persons prepared to commit murder suddenly getting a conscience?

Those of us who live in what we call a "parliamentary democracy" are at serious risk of these types of emotional responses to terrible events, simply because the ruling party controls both the executive and the legislative branch and can pass laws at will.

That didn't take long did it? Be interesting to see the compliance rate and opinions from our Kiwi members. Some have volunteered to give them up already.

I would say taking AK’s/AR’s out of the hunting list would be a great improvement in the world of hunting. I lived in Cody WY and a wealth person in the area used an AR to wipe out a small herd of elk because they were eating his hay.
Another one used his helicopter to push a herd bull and cows toward his son so he could shoot it. The helicopter was convicted and sold in a silent auction. His wife bought it back!
How says money can’t take care of things.
Today it gets your kids into great colleges, keeps you out of jail when you get caught with hookers, etc.

Those points you make are criminal activity and therefore a silly argument for banning something. If a car is used to mow people down on the sidewalk do you ban the car?o_Oo_O

If a white extremists is driving the car maybe!
Is that what you were thinking of?

I guess they will feel good now. Of course reading the article, he illegally modified the gun, so ban them all. Typical progressive, the do as I say crowd, because we are smarter then you.

If a white extremists is driving the car maybe!
Is that what you were thinking of?
No not at all, it doesn't matter who is driving the car, you DONT BAN THE STUPID CAR! By your argument if the rich neighbors shot all the elk with a Model 70 Winchester you would ban them right? After all its the guns fault, not the shooter right? Try to think it thru a little better before posting nonsensical baloney.

No not at all, it doesn't matter who is driving the car, you DONT BAN THE STUPID CAR! By your argument if the rich neighbors shot all the elk with a Model 70 Winchester you would ban them right? After all its the guns fault, not the shooter right? Try to think it thru a little better before posting nonsensical baloney.
Sorry I have been disappointed with the idea of hunting with an A? and a clip attached in case of a second/more shots needed to finish off the animal.
I hunt with a bow or a single shot Ruger. Still don’t understand why we need the banned gun to hunt. Check out my avatar I did ok in NZ with an old fashion 7mm mag.

I'm unsure what the connection is between wanting to hunt with a particular rifle and banning all or any of the others? Who gets to decide which guns we get to hunt with - politicians? Other hunters? Why?

And why is hunting the only reason to have a particular rifle? Is target shooting out? Is self-defence out? Who decides that?

In a "democracy", I guess the majority can pretty much do what they want, but let's not kid ourselves that decisions like these are rational.

Sorry I have been disappointed with the idea of hunting with an A? and a clip attached in case of a second/more shots needed to finish off the animal.
I hunt with a bow or a single shot Ruger. Still don’t understand why we need the banned gun to hunt. Check out my avatar I did ok in NZ with an old fashion 7mm mag.
As Hank notes, what the hey does banning semi autos en masse have to do with hunting? Well, uh... exactly nothing. You obviously harbor some distain for semi auto's or you would be able to reconcile legal ownership for other reasons besides hunting. The NZ ban didn't say as far as I know that since semi autos are lousy hunting rifles, just turn them all in. Its like our 2nd Amendment. It says exactly nothing about hunting. It isn't now and never was about hunting. I remember even my late dad, an avid gun owner and hunter said when they were talking about banning semi's some years ago, "well, it aint a hunting rifle". I had to remind him of a few things. He came around.

My question: If semis have been banned in NZ how did he get one into the country? And here we go again. The emotional knee jerk reaction. As a parallel, think about the UK. They started with one type then escalated to another and another until there are hardly any left.

Sadly, it's happening here in the US. The idiots in congress come up with this ban nonsense and people say it's OK because they don't use that particular gun. So far none have been banned but there are foolish restrictions on some things. The new weenies and libtards along with the usual freaks in congress are squealing gun control and all sorts of blather. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Would you ban something based on the color of the skin of its owner?o_O
Sorry I am not a racist! I just think we don’t need the A?’s out there. They are just making those people that want to hunt with a rifle wore about loosing our chance to do that!

"Sorry I am not a racist!

You said "white" extremist which is why I asked:(. And the rest of your statement makes very little sense:confused:o_O. But again, this isn't about hunting, but that seems to be the only thing that matters to you, as you don't seem to grasp the consequences of banning a particular type of firearm by fiat.

Ahh, it's getting late and I've had belt or two but I hate the idiocy.

The fargin' icehole Tarrant supposedly had 30 round magazines. Gained probably illegally since his license was for a 7 round magazine ( this according to the WSJ quotes of OP). How did he get possession of them? Why did the previous law fail? Why aren't we looking into that?

What if the Tarrant was a Miculek type of shooter? What if he was in possession of 7 round magazines, which were within his apparent license, but could reload and accurately put rounds down range so damn fast that it didn't make a difference in magazine capacity?

I look at the NZ Ministry of Transport website and I see for 2018 records for fatalities in road deaths for 20-24 year old drivers (28+16+6+1=51). That is for one year. I didn't bother to look up others as I would make an ass out of you and me and assume that they are fairly similar. My bad if I'm terribly off.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/mot-resources/road-safety-resources/road-deaths/2018-road-deaths/

Maybe they should ban 20-24 year old drivers also?

Or maybe just pare back on drivers in general?

https://www.transport.govt.nz/mot-r...number-of-road-deaths-historical-information/

For my simple thinking there is more death by vehicle than mass shootings in beautiful New Zealand...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_New_Zealand

I look at the NZ speed limits on the Wiki (forgive me for being simple). It seems to be around 62-68 MPH.

Do they allow vehicles to be for sale that have capabilities above the legal set speed allowances? My bet is yes. Why do they allow that? It is not necessary according to their law. Why would you need a vehicle that can travel faster than 68 MPH when it is the law?

Ferarri!!!!

https://auckland.ferraridealers.com...740/2016-ferrari-f430 coupe-ZFFEZ58C000153432

Top speed: 196 MPH.

"But I will only use it on a licensed track"

30 round magazine: "But I will only use it on a licensed range"

Aye, Chukar,
Valid points all, but you have to take into account that you are dealing with politicians, the lowest life form on the planet engaged in the dirtiest profession on the planet.

Typical and I saw this coming from a mile away. I do find it funny that the international media reported this but ignores the daily attacks on Christian churches that happen daily across the world. This was a terrible tragedy but...... it was made into a media circus simply because it fits the left wing media agenda.

Exhibit A.
4D4DCF78-9DED-46E3-A477-36B751B0A550.png

That didn't take long did it? Be interesting to see the compliance rate and opinions from our Kiwi members. Some have volunteered to give them up already.

Respect,I am surprised how fast a parliament can work.When I think about on the lame ducks in our government........
Basically, the issue of "American and European" is a matter of opposing views, to put it roughly.
The car/weapons comparison is unreal, everyone knows what this question is about.
Of course, the logic is absurd:.
"Forbid weapons (or drugs for example), then nobody takes them and the world is healed".

But to make the possession of dangerous objects very difficult, sometimes to forbid it, is completely okay.
There are enough crazy ones and they become more every day.
An American weapon friend wants to protect himself from the crazy (understandable), the Europeans (so I call them times) want that a crazy one does not come at all to a weapon.

Let's enjoy hunting and shooting as long as we can.
Foxi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross