Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I know Weatherby is not well liked in this forum. This rifle has some nice lines and a beautiful wood stock and not too expensive with an MSRP of $. 1799.00. I think this would be great rifle in a 257 Weatherby configuration. Without the muzzle break of course. :D

1712835570281.png

The contrary, I always liked Weatherby's cartridge more than his rifles, but why not the model 307 Adventure. They have retained the typical stock shape and the thing is available for some typical Weatherby cartridges. If so than only in a new Weatherby caliber, 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum for example. Reminds me a lot of the cartridge 244 H&H Magnum, which was not much successful either.

I've owned a few later model Mark Vs, and I feel there is better value out there for what you get in the accuracy department. 2 of my rifles would not shoot much better than 1.25 MOA with months of load development. I stripped the factory bedding and re bedded and machined the bedding to fit the actions and they still would only hold about 1.25 moa. Fine for hunting accuracy but not for everything else.

Of all the wby calibers the 257 or 270 would be my preferences. They have their place and the rifle pictures is rather handsome. Maybe just make sure ammo or reload components are available and scope bases before making the jump. But I say Go For It!

Of all the wby calibers the 257 or 270 would be my preferences. They have their place and the rifle pictures is rather handsome. Maybe just make sure ammo or reload components are available and scope bases before making the jump. But I say Go For It!

I have both calibers in a Mark V Deluxe. I need another Weatherby in my safe like I need a hole in my head. :ROFLMAO: My next and probably last rifle will be an RSM in 416 Rigby. (y)

I know Weatherby is not well liked in this forum. This rifle has some nice lines and a beautiful wood stock and not too expensive with an MSRP of $. 1799.00. I think this would be great rifle in a 257 Weatherby configuration. Without the muzzle break of course. :D

View attachment 598832
I'm with you on this. Very nice looking rifle.

In some ways Weatherby rifles, along with the Colt/Sauer and Golden Eagle rifles were great looking when toned down just a tad. Graceful lines, but a bit shiny for my taste. Semi gloss on both wood and metal actually added to the beauty in my opinion.

Every MK5 I ever saw had a nice piece of wood on it that would make the typical Remington or Winchester jealous, but the asking price reflected that

The contrary, I always liked Weatherby's cartridge more than his rifles, but why not the model 307 Adventure. They have retained the typical stock shape and the thing is available for some typical Weatherby cartridges. If so than only in a new Weatherby caliber, 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum for example. Reminds me a lot of the cartridge 244 H&H Magnum, which was not much successful either.
And I have wanted a 244 H&H for as long as I can remember.

In 1973 I purchased my first new gun, a Weatherby Mark 5 in 300WM. The dealer/gunsmith installed a double (set) trigger with a little shoe like a Glock trigger. When one pushed the trigger forward, the shoe came out and it set the trigger The standard trigger was quite wide and serrated and the pull was a tiny bit over 2#. In “set” mode, one simply had to touch the trigger and the Rifle fired. I purchased this rifle for a 10 day horseback elk and mule deer hunt. The horse, tired of climbing mountains, repeatedly tried to scrape me and my rifle off his back. A few rainy moose and woodland caribou hunts from remote unheated camps and a slide down a talus slope and the Weatherby looks weathered with a heavily scratched stock and blueing that’s needs a redo. I sent the gun out, had all metal parts etched and coated with a military grade “dry lubricant”, synthetically restocked the firearm and had a muzzle break installed. Shoots 0.5 MOA and is one of the best looking foul weather firearms I own (and there are several). Love the rifle and while the original was beautiful, this one has its own special beauty and is light years ahead in functionality.

Those are always eye catching rifles. I actually prefer the foreign made ones. Almost never a boring piece of wood, nice lines, comfortable, and most importantly, skip line checkering. They never should have gotten rid of that. But I wouldn't throw a new Mk V Deluxe out of bed for eating crackers.

35 years later and I purchased a Blaser R8 Professional (synthetic stock) and my 2nd barrel was a .300WM. Kind of forced the retirement of the Weatherby.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Stainless in .338 WM that I bought new in the 90’s. It is the most accurate and durable over the counter rifle I have ever purchased.
It shoots as well as most of the custom rifles I have had built for more money…

For people of a certain age, the first time holding a Mark V was something of a revelation. Now, though, their new rifles do nothing to excite me, especially the ones with the whacky fluting and bizarro camo. Same goes for their new RPM cartridges. Odd to see a company swing from belts to rebated rims.

I agree with you above comment. As a kid I used to drool over the Weatherby rifles that I saw on their catalogs or on gun magazines. I remember telling myself that one day I was going to own one (I own too many to list here). The new models don't do it for me either. In my humble opinion, the best looking Weatherby rifles with the best wood, and best bluing are the ones that came from Japan.

As a kid in the 70's and early 80's, I remember seeing advertisements in NRA's American Rifleman for the Bank of Boulder offering a free Weatherby Mark V in exchange for buying a Certificate of Deposit for a certain amount and term.

I agree with you above comment. As a kid I used to drool over the Weatherby rifles that I saw on their catalogs or on gun magazines. I remember telling myself that one day I was going to own one (I own too many to list here). The new models don't do it for me either. In my humble opinion, the best looking Weatherby rifles with the best wood, and best bluing are the ones that came from Japan.
Absolutely agree, just I also love the ones made by Sauer, too
Anyway the old Wbys were masterpieces, truly outstanding.
I have a very accurate rifle in 300 Wby, but it's not a Weatherby, so it's "one day" wish, when I'll find a very nice one.

Get the RSM .416 Rigby, a classic

That is my plan :ROFLMAO: I don’t need another Weatherby: I have a MK-V from 240 all the way up to 6.5-300 Weatherby :giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineTrp

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double