New Von Gruff Heavy Hunter Knife

WOW!!!
I´m very amazed with you´re jobs!
Looking at the photos of the knives in the post, I saw the one with the upper edge and it is identical to the one I made, to use it hunting wild boar.
Regarding the design of the blade, the cutting angle, the drop of the edge ... Very comfortable! I designed it like this looking for something practical, comfortable, and multipurpose that would serve both as a finishing weapon (I love to finish with a knife) and also as a skinner, and everyone who sees it says "what a strange way, how did you come up with doing it like that?" I already thought they were crazy, until I saw that knife of yours and I thought "it looks like I'm not that crazy" hahaha
Beautiful designs, very good work!
Marcos. Most of the knives in this thread are not ones I have made apart from the Heavy hunter at the start of the thread. @Dr Ray was looking for a design or style of knife for a new custom he was thinking of commisioning and as he already knows about all of my own designs from my website and my main thread here on the forums https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-african-knives.26296/page-116 I simply posted a few differnt styles from my photo collection of knives I have found in various places on the net

Of course not looking to commission or influence anything you may make. Only posting some historically based follow up for some of the posts in this thread mentioning the variety of designs out there- including the wavy blade designs. Many of these ethnic/cultural designs are most certainly not based so much around function but tend toward symbolism, costume and tradition. Although many could be dual purpose or even three purpose and used as formidable weapons. Here's a couple in my collection showing examples of the wavy blade types of both keris and kris blades.

top pics- small Buginese/Sulawesi 9 lug keris. Note the finely carved, fullered and laminated blade. Some of the earlier blade smiths used nickel/iron material from excavated meteorites to forge these. More Big Medicine" :)

bottom pics- a larger Moro kris (short sword) late 1800s confiscated during the Moro rebellion in the Philippines following the Spanish-American War. It is an 11 luk blade. Note the temper color difference in this forged blade between the core and edge and the straps that secure the blade to the ganja and handle. No question this weapon was made for serious fighting!

View attachment 440944
View attachment 440945

View attachment 440946
View attachment 440947
"

Hope am not distracting from the thread....but I have always wondered as to the reasoning behind the shape of these type of blades...did it give any advantages in situations they would be used in?....

Hope am not distracting from the thread....but I have always wondered as to the reasoning behind the shape of these type of blades...did it give any advantages in situations they would be used in?....
To a certain extent there are or were ceremonial and militray weapons and as @fourfive8 noted "Many of these ethnic/cultural designs are most certainly not based so much around function but tend toward symbolism, costume and tradition".
The military designs were more a reflection on the way the fighting was done and the main weapons and protections they were facing in thier sphere of influence. The Kopis style of forward weighted and curved (or recurved) blade was usefull for hacking over the top of a shield with amount of recurve, size and weight being determined by locaal factors.
Whether fighting on foot, horse back or even from charriots, flat sandy terrain, forested areas, rolling grassland or even from boats, and so many other factors had a major impact on weapon design.

To a certain extent there are or were ceremonial and militray weapons and as @fourfive8 noted "Many of these ethnic/cultural designs are most certainly not based so much around function but tend toward symbolism, costume and tradition".
The military designs were more a reflection on the way the fighting was done and the main weapons and protections they were facing in thier sphere of influence. The Kopis style of forward weighted and curved (or recurved) blade was usefull for hacking over the top of a shield with amount of recurve, size and weight being determined by locaal factors.
Whether fighting on foot, horse back or even from charriots, flat sandy terrain, forested areas, rolling grassland or even from boats, and so many other factors had a major impact on weapon design.

Thanks for that

Marcos. Most of the knives in this thread are not ones I have made apart from the Heavy hunter at the start of the thread. @Dr Ray was looking for a design or style of knife for a new custom he was thinking of commisioning and as he already knows about all of my own designs from my website and my main thread here on the forums https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-african-knives.26296/page-116 I simply posted a few differnt styles from my photo collection of knives I have found in various places on the net
Ok ok, I understand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!