New To Reloading Need Beginner Help

That MPBR is great advice. It says I should sight my 458 lott in 8.3” high at 100 yds to be minute of buffalo out to 440 yds.

Somehow i think I’ll keep with my current methods....my point is just that all advice needs listened to, but not all of it may be really helpful in all cases.

BTW, I never use MPBR. I just know where my gun shoots and aim as required.

Well, OK, 458 WM doesn't really fit that. None of the short-range heavies do, even down to 45-70. That was a general comment, as most people who reload don't just reload for DG. YMMV.;

On lubing cases, chech out Hornady's One Shot. It is a spray lubes that works great, it will even lube the inside of the case necks at the same time that you do the rest of the case

zim,
the 458 does fit that, as does any cartiidge.
they all have a point blank range as decided for the job.
+/- 2", +/- 3", +/- 1", depends on the size of your target and how tight your rifle groups.
saying "minute of buffalo " is just frogshit, when you should say "minute of buffalo heart".
big stoppers just have shorter point blank than varmint rifles.
it is all about getting the most out of what you have within the parameters you have to work with.
one thing is for sure, just zeroing at 200 for most med game rounds is wasting potential.
bruce.
bruce.

zim,
+/- 2", +/- 3", +/- 1", depends on the size of your target and how tight your rifle groups.
saying "minute of buffalo " is just frogshit, when you should say "minute of buffalo heart".
it is all about getting the most out of what you have within the parameters you have to work with.
one thing is for sure, just zeroing at 200 for most med game rounds is wasting potential.
bruce.
bruce.

I love this post.

You pick your own MPBR based on how high you want to deal with the bullet being off POA at intermediate ranges.

Be careful with how greedy you get. I was running around with a 300 yard zero on a deer rifle and it caused me a problem once. It was shooting 4" high at 100y. A deer jumped up and ran away from about 10y in thick brush. I swung with it and it stopped in a clearing and I shot at 40y. Problem was I figured the range wrong, held low, and wounded it. Tracking was no problem at all due to the intense blood trail. I resolved the problem, but the following lessons stuck with me.
1. Learn to range estimate well under pressure.
2. Learn the trajectory of the rifle for your zero and memorize it out to no shoot distance. Make a laminated card if necessary and refer to it often.
3. Stick to the limits you set for yourself.

what cartridge was 4" high at 100.?
most deer rifles will keep going up after 100 sighted in thus.
my own 280 etc I put 2.5" high at 100, and the 9.3 at 3"high at 100.
the 280 comes on again about 250, and the 9.3 at 200 with 300 gn swift.
this allows me to aim dead on nearly out to 300 with the 280, and 250 with the 9,3.
my 223 is 3/4" high at 100 and dead on at 200.
the sized game shot with the 223 is smaller, so I cannot risk going as high with it.
+/- 3" = 6" for target size, which is about as much as you want to go on any big game.
the 280 at 2 1/2" high at 100 maxes at about 3" high at its zenith.
the j b m ballistic calculation website will give you these figures.
bruce.
p.s. 25 yds and less you need to aim high, but not much

On lubing cases, chech out Hornady's One Shot. It is a spray lubes that works great, it will even lube the inside of the case necks at the same time that you do the rest of the case[/QUOT
I too use One Shot and it works well. I have a designed loading block I use exclusively for lubing. I place the loaded block (NOTE: I alternate holes so as to create gaps between cases for spray to access.) in a box. I then spray quickly at a 45 degree angle so some spray gets in the necks. I then rotate the block 90 degrees, repeating three times to cox over all cases.
I then repeat spraying quickly at the bodies but from an angle that sprays between the rows. I then resize, wipe and then clean the inside of the necks with lighter fluid on a swab.
The only thing I don’t like about One Shot is that it is easy to over lube the shoulder and get dents.

H4895 is really the "crescent wrench" of rifle powders and is just about ideal for .308 Win size cases. If I was only going to buy one powder and primarily load for .308 Win. It would be H4895 or IMR 4064.

zim,
bruce.
bruce.

True enough, amigo. But... I can't think of anything I'd shoot with a 458 WM/Lott past maybe 125-150 yards. While a buff heart may be a 12" target, I don't think I'd sight in for a 240 yard zero (and thus 280 yd MPBR) since I wouldn't be too keen on pulling the trigger past 100-125 yards. And while 458 would drop lesser game such as impala or gemsbok, I'd rather use a different cartridge for such game if 250-300 yds was on the table. YMMV. ;)

H4895 is really the "crescent wrench" of rifle powders and is just about ideal for .308 Win size cases. If I was only going to buy one powder and primarily load for .308 Win. It would be H4895 or IMR 4064.

and varget (ar2208)
bruce,

and varget (ar2208)
bruce,

Varget...5 shots, 100 yards, Berger VLDH 175 gr...

When I find the node, I get the same results from Speer Grand Slam 180 gr, Hornady ELD-X 178, and Berger VLDH 175 gr. I could probably reproduce this in any bullet, but it for sure works out of 3 different rifles on those 3 bullets. MV in the range of 2575 to 1610. Yeah, I'm a Varget guy for .308 Win.
vldh175.jpg

Varget with Speer Grand Slam 180 gr. My bench got bumped on the flyer. That's 4 in the center, from 100 yards.
43.7 gr varget.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross