New Lipseys M77 .35 Whelen

@Fryeguy
Try Higdon CFE223 with the 250s. Speer lists the loads and I get 2,700fps with the 250 Speer, Woodleigh and Hornady. The Hornady 250 round nose clocks in at a nice 2,680fps
Bob

Impressive velocity for a 250gr out of the old Whelen. Move over 338 Win Mag!!!

Reactions: USN
I am on marks list also for the 35!
I'm a big 35 Whelen fan! I'd be on the list but I picked up a Ruger 77 tang safety several years ago with a Brown Precision stock, 22" Shilen #4 barrel, Birdsong T coating on all the metal work. It's sat in the safe but I'm working on sorting out optics for it and plan to get it going soon. My other rig is a Remington 700 with Bansner stock, blind magazine, Lilja 22" #4 bbl, ceracoated, with S&K rings, Swaro Z6i 1.7-10x42mm. It shoots 225gr Swift A-Frames 2680 fps behind a heavy dose of RL 15....cloverleafs. I'm thinking hard about trying the CFE223 though. Bob seems to love it and it gives some great velocities from what he's shared. I can't imagine getting 2650 fps plus with a 250gr Swift A-Frame.

I was finally able to pick up my rifle today. It is a fine looking rifle, I can’t wait to shoot it. I threw a Leupold 2.5-8x36 in some Warne QD rings on top. I hope to shoot it this weekend, I’ll be sure to post my results if I do. The only factory ammo I could track down was the 200gn TTSX and the 200gn Interlocks. I’m not reloading at the moment so I’m hoping one of these will shoot well. Here’s a few pics.

IMG_8214.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

Also, in case anyone was curious. My rifle weighs 7lbs14oz bare, exactly 9lbs with the scope mounted. And the trigger pull is about 3.75lbs

I bought one of the 35's on a whim from my LGS. Still in the box. I think I would be better served (for now) with a synthetic stocked '06 CRF gun or a Blaser R8 '06 barrel.

If someone wants it, I paid retail plus 9.25% tax. I will pay for the shipping. Please PM me if interested and I will get some pics of it.

I was not able to shoot my rifle this weekend but I should be able to this coming weekend. I have been handling the rifle a lot and really looking it over. It is a beautifully made rifle, but with one exception. The checkering is quite disappointing in my opinion. I’m not sure if it’s pressed or laser checkered but either way it’s very shallow and the edges are pretty sloppy. I’m most likely going to see if I can find a good smith to rechecker it for me. Does anyone else feel this way about their rifle? Or maybe I got a bad example?

Glad to see so many whelen fans, my African m77 should be here in a week or so.
Headed to Montana to bear hunt and see how the Remington 700 will do. 225 TSX at 2600 FPS using varget at the moment.
CFE load in my stainless m77 and 225 North Forks at 2650. 22” barrels.
My stainless Ruger has a 1-12 twist so I’d like to try the heavies if I can find any later on.
225 TSX on wild hogs in Florida did the trick we dropped 8 good sized pigs most were all 1 shot drops, head on shots from head to tail the barnes didn’t let me down.

Exited to try a brand new rifle and with a 24” barrel to compare loads and notes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.