New 404J Build

rcarpenter

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
North American Falconers Association
So, for the past few years I've been on the hunt for a 1951 Winchester Model 70 in a H&H caliber to build into a 404J. I finally found one today. I wanted a dangerous game caliber twin to my Great-Grandfather's rifle that I had inherited when I turned 18. I'm working on moving up to Alaska and mostly want it for bear/moose. I hope to use it hunting in Africa someday as well. This is my first custom rifle build and I do have some questions.

First, are there any gunsmiths that do really good work on Model 70s? I'm in Idaho but will ship the gun if necessary.

The gun started life as a 300 H&H Magnum, but was converted by Weatherby's shop to 300 Weatherby at some point by the first owner.

I know that I was wanting to have a H&H style front sight with the flip over night sight, a barrel band sling swivel, and a barrel mounted express sight installed.

I'm sure the barrel channel of the stock will need to be widened. Is having the action bedded and/or having crossbolts installed a good idea?

Being that it will be primarily for Alaska should I look into cerakote for all the metal, or would having it hot blued protect it well enough? Unless I can keep the original barrel and just have it rebored (but I doubt that it can be bored that far), but if I could I'd do that rather than all the modifications.

Is there anything else I should be looking into having done while it's being converted?

pix665998522.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would caution the flip up night sight. I have one and it cost me a shot at an animal. It flipped up when I pulled it out of the case didn't realize till it was to late. I'm going to change mine out, for what it's worth.

I would caution the flip up night sight. I have one and it cost me a shot at an animal. It flipped up when I pulled it out of the case didn't realize till it was to late. I'm going to change mine out, for what it's worth.
Interesting! Was the dot on the night sight just too large for an accurate shot? I may have a mount with a dovetail added so I can try it out and see if I like it or not. I am thinking I'll likely do a 1-6 scope or a red dot as a primary sighting system.

So, for the past few years I've been on the hunt for a 1951 Winchester Model 70 in a H&H caliber to build into a 404J. I finally found one today. I wanted a dangerous game caliber twin to my Great-Grandfather's rifle that I had inherited when I turned 18. I'm working on moving up to Alaska and mostly want it for bear/moose. I hope to use it hunting in Africa someday as well. This is my first custom rifle build and I do have some questions.

First, are there any gunsmiths that do really good work on Model 70s? I'm in Idaho but will ship the gun if necessary.

The gun started life as a 300 H&H Magnum, but was converted by Weatherby's shop to 300 Weatherby at some point by the first owner.

I know that I was wanting to have a H&H style front sight with the flip over night sight, a barrel band sling swivel, and a barrel mounted express sight installed.

I'm sure the barrel channel of the stock will need to be widened. Is having the action bedded and/or having crossbolts installed a good idea?

Being that it will be primarily for Alaska should I look into cerakote for all the metal, or would having it hot blued protect it well enough? Unless I can keep the original barrel and just have it rebored (but I doubt that it can be bored that far), but if I could I'd do that rather than all the modifications.

Is there anything else I should be looking into having done while it's being converted?
Talk to Justin at pre64win.com. If anyone can do it he can. The issue may be feeding that cartridge.

Talk to Justin at pre64win.com. If anyone can do it he can. The issue may be feeding that cartridge.
I hadn't thought of seeing if they do caliber conversions. I'll shoot them a message. Thanks!

Interesting! Was the dot on the night sight just too large for an accurate shot? I may have a mount with a dovetail added so I can try it out and see if I like it or not. I am thinking I'll likely do a 1-6 scope or a red dot as a primary sighting system.
It was to big. The shot was close enough when I got on the sticks. But the sight covered the entire animal, a baboon. Looked like the moon at the end of the barrel.

It was to big. The shot was close enough when I got on the sticks. But the sight covered the entire animal, a baboon. Looked like the moon at the end of the barrel.
That's too bad! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Funny.
No funny the way you put it.
Krish

Cross bolts and bedding-yes. It will help the stock stand up to recoil.

I would put a scope on it, I am quite liking the Vortex 1-4 or 1-6 red dot scope. I tried it on 1x and it is like a red dot reflex sight-shoot with both eyes open and then you can dial it up when needed.

With regards to the H&H sights and barrel bands etc- you gotta go with the look that you like ! To me a rifle is more than just a tool, it is about the way it looks and the way it makes you feel when you carry it.

You may check with the guys at Elite Rifle Works over in Nampa. They may be able to help you or provide advice as to where to go.

Cross bolts and bedding-yes. It will help the stock stand up to recoil.

I would put a scope on it, I am quite liking the Vortex 1-4 or 1-6 red dot scope. I tried it on 1x and it is like a red dot reflex sight-shoot with both eyes open and then you can dial it up when needed.

With regards to the H&H sights and barrel bands etc- you gotta go with the look that you like ! To me a rifle is more than just a tool, it is about the way it looks and the way it makes you feel when you carry it.
I'll make sure it gets the extra support it needs. I'd hate to crack the original stock.

I had one of those on my AR for a while and it would have made a great hunting scope. I'll probably look at getting one for this rifle. It currently has a B&L Balfor mounted.

If I can't get the original barrel bored out, and have to replace it I'll probably add that stuff. I'd love to keep it original looking if it's at all possible. I emailed the guys at Pre64 Win and will see what they say.

You may check with the guys at Elite Rifle Works over in Nampa. They may be able to help you or provide advice as to where to go.
I hadn't heard of them before. I'll check them out. Do they do good work?

Randy Selby built one of my 404(s). It is reliable and shoots sub MOA.
Call him and talk over your project. He'll soon let you know if it can be done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.23 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.24 PM.png
    664.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.26 PM.png
    497.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.28 PM.png
    518.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.31.29 PM.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.42 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Randy Selby built one of my 404(s). It is reliable and shoots sub MOA.
Call him and talk over your project. He'll soon let you know if it can be done.
Thanks! I just heard back from Justin at Pre-64 Win and the current barrel can't be bored but the action can be converted. They have about a 2 year backlog so I'll definitely give Randy a call. Thanks!

I'll make sure it gets the extra support it needs. I'd hate to crack the original stock.

I had one of those on my AR for a while and it would have made a great hunting scope. I'll probably look at getting one for this rifle. It currently has a B&L Balfor mounted.

If I can't get the original barrel bored out, and have to replace it I'll probably add that stuff. I'd love to keep it original looking if it's at all possible. I emailed the guys at Pre64 Win and will see what they say.

I hadn't heard of them before. I'll check them out. Do they do good work?
I haven't used them but, from what I've been told and seen of their work, the do a good job. It's been a while so I don't know to what extent they can help. Good Luck with your 404!

I haven't used them but, from what I've been told and seen of their work, the do a good job. It's been a while so I don't know to what extent they can help. Good Luck with your 404!
That's good to hear. Thanks!

Dennis Olson in Plains, MT did my M70 conversion from 300 RUM to 404 Jeff. He's done work for a few others here on AH. The long lead time was getting the Krieger barrel, which took about 8 months. Dennis was done two months after receiving the barrel.

Dennis Olson in Plains, MT did my M70 conversion from 300 RUM to 404 Jeff. He's done work for a few others here on AH. The long lead time was getting the Krieger barrel, which took about 8 months. Dennis was done two months after receiving the barrel.

Thanks! I'll have to give him a call and talk about the conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.