AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
As from 14 March 2017 the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) will require a copy of the Passport of the hunting client together with the Permit Application. This will be applicable to all permit applications. Applications submitted without the passport copy attached will be rejected as from then on.

Source: Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA)

As from 14 March 2017 the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) will require a copy of the Passport of the hunting client together with the Permit Application. This will be applicable to all permit applications. Applications submitted without the passport copy attached will be rejected as from then on.

Source: Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA)

Am I to assume the permit application is completed and submitted by the PH or outfitter with a copy of the passport emailed to said PH or outfitter prior to the hunt.

Also enlighten me on what permits are required for a plains game hunt with Cities Hartmann's zebra.

Am I to assume the permit application is completed and submitted by the PH or outfitter with a copy of the passport emailed to said PH or outfitter prior to the hunt.
That is correct and copy of passport to be supplied by the hunter to the hunting outfitter.

Also enlighten me on what permits are required for a plains game hunt with Cities Hartmann's zebra.
No specific hunting permit is required for hunting a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra in Namibia, it just needs to be listed on your hunting permit which will be applied for by your hunting outfitter. The Ministry of Environment and Tourism will issue once the Zebra taken A CITES export permit, this is usually taken care of by the shipping agent/person in Namibia who will be handling the export of your trophies. A CITES import permit will be required from the foreign country where the Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra is to be imported.

From the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: https://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqTUVWXYZ.html

Zebra, Hartmann’s Mountain
Do I need a permit to import my personal sport-hunted trophy?

The Hartmann’s mountain zebra is listed in CITES Appendix II and threatened under the ESA. In general, a permit is required to import threatened species.

• The Hartmann’s mountain zebra, however, may be imported into the United States for personal non-commercial purposes, such as a personally taken sport-hunted trophy, without a threatened species permit, as long as the item was not part of a commercial activity. It must be accompanied by a foreign CITES permit which indicates that the item is for non-commercial purposes (Purpose Code “H”) on the face of the document. Contact the foreign country to meet its requirements.
  • The import of a zebra, its skin or other products purchased by tourists requires the prior issuance of a threatened species permit (click here for an application form), as well as a CITES permit from the foreign country.
  • You must import your zebra item through a designated port unless you have received a port exception permit. If you are importing a trophy and it is perishable, you must notify the FWS wildlife inspection office at the port of entry or exit at least 48 hours in advance. You must present our declaration form to the wildlife inspectors, and receive clearance from us at the time of import. Check with the State to meet its requirements.

Attachments

• 3-200-37.pdf
    151.5 KB · Views: 200
That is correct and copy of passport to be supplied by the hunter to the hunting outfitter.

No specific hunting permit is required for hunting a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra in Namibia, it just needs to be listed on your hunting permit which will be applied for by your hunting outfitter. The Ministry of Environment and Tourism will issue once the Zebra taken A CITES export permit, this is usually taken care of by the shipping agent/person in Namibia who will be handling the export of your trophies. A CITES import permit will be required from the foreign country where the Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra is to be imported.

From the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: https://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqTUVWXYZ.html

Zebra, Hartmann’s Mountain
Do I need a permit to import my personal sport-hunted trophy?

The Hartmann’s mountain zebra is listed in CITES Appendix II and threatened under the ESA. In general, a permit is required to import threatened species.

• The Hartmann’s mountain zebra, however, may be imported into the United States for personal non-commercial purposes, such as a personally taken sport-hunted trophy, without a threatened species permit, as long as the item was not part of a commercial activity. It must be accompanied by a foreign CITES permit which indicates that the item is for non-commercial purposes (Purpose Code “H”) on the face of the document. Contact the foreign country to meet its requirements.
  • The import of a zebra, its skin or other products purchased by tourists requires the prior issuance of a threatened species permit (click here for an application form), as well as a CITES permit from the foreign country.
  • You must import your zebra item through a designated port unless you have received a port exception permit. If you are importing a trophy and it is perishable, you must notify the FWS wildlife inspection office at the port of entry or exit at least 48 hours in advance. You must present our declaration form to the wildlife inspectors, and receive clearance from us at the time of import. Check with the State to meet its requirements.

Thanks Jerome.

No specific hunting permit is required for hunting a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra in Namibia, it just needs to be listed on your hunting permit which will be applied for by your hunting outfitter.

So, do we have to choose the specific animals prior to the hunt? How does it work if we want to add on or modify when there?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, do we have to choose the specific animals prior to the hunt? How does it work if we want to add on or modify when there?

Typically, your Outfitter will do the everything and the Kitchen sink variety permit.

Hunting permits for the selected trophy species need to be applied for and granted prior to be able to hunt any of the species listed on the hunting permit. If a trophy species is not on the hunting permit it cannot be hunted. A hunting permit for a specific species can be applied for at any time by the outfitter, even during a hunter's hunting safari, but that specific species will only be allowed to be hunted once the hunting permit has been granted.

Namibian hunting outfitters will usually apply for as many plains game species as possible on the hunting permit in order to give the hunter the opportunity to hunt a trophy that they perhaps did not anticipate taking while hunting in Namibia.

Birds also count as species, so if you intend to export some as trophies they will need to be listed on the hunting permits in order to be able to be exported.

Although Namibian law states that a hunter may take only two animals of each species per year on a regular trophy hunting permit, irrespective of if the trophies are exported or not, a hunter may harvest more than two animals of each species on a management animal hunt.

A plains game hunting permit usually takes seven business days to be obtained and a predator hunting permit about 14 business days. Hunting permits can sometimes be obtain a lot faster however one should not rely on that.

Typically, your Outfitter will do the everything and the Kitchen sink variety permit.
That is correct, your Namibian hunting outfitter will be the one responsible for obtaining the proper hunting permits for the hunter.

It seems that Namibia might be shooting themselves in the foot with out allowing for spur of the moment animals and minds to be changed when you actually see the critter first hand!

I finally pull the trigger to go to Namibia and now new rules. They must have heard I was heading over. LOL

I finally pull the trigger to go to Namibia and now new rules. They must have heard I was heading over. LOL

Just making sure they know where to find you later.

Just making sure they know where to find you later.

For sure do you think if I ask nice they will hand deliver my trophys right to my house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg