AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Outfitter : Ozondjahe Safaris
Caliber : 300 Win Mag
Target animals : Blue gnu, Black gnu, Giraffe, Red Hartebeest, Kudu, Impala
Dates : June 5-11

Day 1) We arrived on the morning of the 5th at Windhoek Airport and were driven 2 hrs to Ozondjahe Safaris. After checking in to our rooms we went straight to the range for rifle checks and a enjoyable game drive where we saw a magnatude of game species which put a smile on all our faces despite 2 full days of travel that was the airline equivelent to waterboarding. After the game drive we ate and turned in early so to be ready for the morning hunt.

Day 2) The morning started off right with a hearty breakfast at 6AM. We then loaded the truck and headed off to look for a Giraffe for my son. While scouting around we we came across a herd of Impala. We stopped the truck and the PH scouted for a nice ram. A ram was soon spotted and my wife stepped up to the plate. She made a nice shoulder shot, and the ram jumped in the air and completed a half gainer in the air and ran off into the heavy brush. A bloodtrail was soon found and the track was on. We searched for about 1.5 hrs and were unable to find the animal. Our PH called out some staff from camp to continue the search .Our PH said it was a solid hit and could not have gone far but the animal was never found. Our PH said we should move on and his staff would continue the search. He said we should move on to the Giraffe which had been spotted by staff members on the way to help search for the Impala. We went to the area where the Giraffe were spotted and began our search. We saw several Gifaffe but not the old dark bull we were looking for. We finally spotted the bull we were looking for and worked our way around to get a clear shot. He kept behind the acacia and would not give us the boiler room shot we wanted. The PH said a neck shot would work. My son dialed in on the neck where the PH said to hit him and fired. The Giraffe crumbled like house of cards. We quickly ran through the acacia to get to where the animal was. If it were to get up we would be chasing this thing all day. My son had done his job well and the Giraffe was down for good. After pictures the skinning crew arrived and they proceeded to make short work of the animal and we headed to camp for a nice lunch.
After lunch we set off for a new area where there had been some activity from some Red Hartebeest. We spent several hours searching and finally located a shooter. I had a nice broadside shot at about 80 yards and pulled the trigger. It was a solid shot. He sprung a leak as he headed for the brush. W e gave him some time and started to track. There was a heavy bloodtrail to follow. This animals check engine light had to come on immediately after the shot due to the amount of blood loss, but to his credit ran about 200 yards before going down. After pictures it was off to the blind for my wife to add a Gemsbok to the hit list. There are plenty of Gemsbok to chose from at Ozondjahe and our PH found a nice specimen to add to our trouphy list. She made a clean broadside shot at about 40 yards and an epic first day was in the books. Post more tomorrow.

IMG_1872.jpg

dsc_0384-jpg.153869

dsc_0364-jpg.153868

Attachments

• DSC_0364.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 554
  • DSC_0384.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 568
Last edited by a moderator:

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
That is one heck of a first day. That oryx is a dandy and I hope they found that impala.

They seem to have plenty of game there to hunt.

Clayton

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NRA: Patriot Life Endowment Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation: Life Member LA Shooting Association: Life Member, Gun Owners of America: Annual Member SW LA Rifle & Pistol Club: Annual Member
WOW! Congrats. Thanks for the report and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Great start!!!

Looking forward to more.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats, thanks for sharing!

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Great first installment! Keep it coming!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
You make me home sick for Ozondjahe!
Congrats all round on the family success.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
Sounds like a great first day!

Who was your PH - Francois or Theo?

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Outstanding first day. Look forward to the rest of the hunt report.

dory

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Zealand . Namibia .
Awesome !!!!
WHO LOVES NAMIBIA ?

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Great start. Looking forward to hearing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSJThurman

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh