NAMIBIA: Namibia, The First Time. A Family Affair

Hey thank you! Best I can tell there is no such thing as "check through". When we boarded in Portland the bag tags all said "WDH" but that still obligates you to give your friends in Jo'berg their cut. The RSA permit is a "transit permit". If there's another way I'm all ears.
I always check though if it is on one ticket. There is no transfer permit in JNB. Your bags and gun should have gone through to the next flight.
But we have to be flexible when traveling these days!

I always check though if it is on one ticket. There is no transfer permit in JNB. Your bags and gun should have gone through to the next flight.
Usually you have to fly the next morning. It’s never been an option for me not to collect my gun and bags with the long layover even though the bag tags are printed with final destination.

It’s never been an option for me not to collect my gun and bags with the long layover even though the bag tags are printed with final destination.

Right, this was my take as well, even though we did not overnight. From talking with the captain at the police station it sure sounded to me like they get their pound of flesh regardless.

1695074952870.png

1695074919798.png

Source here.

Right, this was my take as well, even though we did not overnight. From talking with the captain at the police station it sure sounded to me like they get their pound of flesh regardless.

View attachment 558318

View attachment 558317

Source here.
That really surprises me then. I would expect no overnight layover would allow your bags to stay in transit and not require checking again if the airlines had a baggage agreement. What airline did you fly to Johannesburg on? What airline did you fly to Windhoek on? I’ve always overnighted on way in so always got rifle and permit, but on way out (before Covid) I always checked in on SAA in Windhoek then got on to Delta in Johannesburg, never had to claim bags again until Atlanta after checking in at Windhoek.

British Air from PDX to Jo'berg.
South African Air Jo'berg to Windhoek.

The way home was a little simpler, one less step. But we still had to go to the police station and check in.

British Air from PDX to Jo'berg.
South African Air Jo'berg to Windhoek.

The way home was a little simpler, one less step. But we still had to go to the police station and check in.
I think British air was likely your problem and not Johannesburg or South African police. They likely would not accept firearms or transfer firearms to another airline. Doesn’t really matter now, important thing is you got your guns there for your hunt.

Great report. Thank you for sharing your family's adventure. Namibia is a special place and the Strauss family are special people to hunt it with. I plan to introduce my family to Africa with them in the near future. Looks like your crew had a great time and definitely took wonderful animals.
The tree in one of your first pictures looked awfully familiar- I think I took a different picture of it almost every morning and every night going and coming from my room.
IMG_5656.JPG

Awesome report so far, can't wait to read more!! I'm thinking about taking my kid next time, sounds like you guys are having a great time! Congratulations!
@R.M.C
Take your kid mate. I took my 14 tear old and wife. We all had a ball. My son used a Howa 308 loaded with 150gr accubonds and had no problems at all.
Just make sure you rake their bith certificate and a letter from the mother or you may have trouble getting into and out of the country.
Bob

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great report. Thank you for sharing your family's adventure. Namibia is a special place and the Strauss family are special people to hunt it with. I plan to introduce my family to Africa with them in the near future. Looks like your crew had a great time and definitely took wonderful animals.
The tree in one of your first pictures looked awfully familiar- I think I took a different picture of it almost every morning and every night going and coming from my room.View attachment 558458
Yes, looks familiar! :)
20220731_065019.jpg

The last hunts

Given as long as this is getting I am going to cover the oryx since that was a lot of fun. There is a wildebeest hunt too but I had no intention of writing a novel here, so we will move onto Oryx.

We take a brief break, but the kids are very tired and we will split up. Papa chased oryx this morning while we were finishing the kudu hunt and got on some animals but didn’t get a shot off. So he and Mathus will head out and I will go off once more with Jacques. We drive to a non-descript fence. If you had just picked me up and set me here and it could just as well be that we are in Wyoming on an antelope hunt like we did before the kids were born, years ago.

View attachment 557133

The koppies in the background are where we are headed. So it’s a quick drive and we settle in to glass again. It had previously occurred to me that we spent nearly 4 days to get a kudu and now we are down to the last day and a half to close on TWO oryx. But Jacques says this will not be a problem. I try and relax. We get to the koppie and all take out our binoculars. I left my big 50mm objective binos at home and that was probably a mistake. I cannot keep up with Jacques on glassing. Part of this is lack of experience here, clearly. And it may well be a bit of small mercy that I do not have my 50mm Swaros since then I would have no viable excuse at all. We reach the top of the hill and get out of the truck.

“Do you see him? That’s a good bull”

Humphrey nods

--I do not

A sly smile. “The edge of the black thorns in the shade.”

After some coaxing we all do see him, including me. On the edge of the cover in the distance a bull oryx is sitting in a narrow clearing in the shade. As best we can tell he is alone, but there is a ton of cover around him and could be more animals that we cannot see. We head out, closing distance to the thicker trees in the distance. The bull is bedded there.

View attachment 557134

Our stalk-to-shot ratio has been pretty good all week, so I am wondering if this is actually going to happen. As we get to the little dry creek bed in between us and the trees we all feel it a once. Jacques kicks up the sand and it blows straight out away from us and the wind is hard at our backs. A look and a furrowed brow. There is not much to do now but try and make it work. We close the gap until we are at the edge of the blackthorn trees. I end up shooting from below this larger tree to the left.
View attachment 557135

Once we are in the cover of the big tree we can see the bull and he is still bedded. The wind is definitely behind us and the bull is not 250 yards away. Not sure if he is just fast asleep or indifferent but we decide to move quickly before he starts paying better attention. Jacques is trying to maneuver the sticks as I am crouched down. The bull is still bedded. Now, as we have done previously, it is time to stand in one fluid motion, get on the sticks and find the bull and then shoot. When I stand both Jacques and I will be in plain view of the bull, but we’ve done this several times now. But this time it all goes sideways. I look up to make sure there is no branch I am going to stand up into but I do not look far enough behind me. So I stand up and immediately get snagged by these vicious little barbed thorns of this tree. My hat, the backpack, my neck, my shirt, everything is snagged. I try to pull loose and that makes an awful racket with the bone-dry branches banging together. But now I can’t step forward onto the sticks either since the tree has snagged me where I stand. Very frustrated I just pull free, and the dry branches of the tree make a sound like if you put a bunch of wood into a shoe box and threw it down the stairs. I anticipate coming into the scope to see a cloud of dust where the oryx retreated back into cover but instead see very clearly in the scope a bull oryx, still at peace and bedded maybe 250 yards from us.

--No way

“Lucky” says Jacques

--I can shoot.

“Let me get him to stand”

Jacques gives a hoot and then a louder hoot and a bark. Nothing. For a moment I wonder if this oryx is in some kind of vegetative state since nothing we can do—wind or noise of cat calls—can apparently disturb him. Finally, after a series of more aggravated barks the oryx does indeed rouse and stands to look for the source of his annoyance. I fire. He spins once and comes down heavy into the red sand

View attachment 557136

View attachment 557137
We are all pleased with this and relieved that we have now finished “the list”. As it turns out it will take Papa one more day, and also a 3 km tracking job as his first shot was very rushed and hit quite low. BUT even though that was a bit unfortunate it does give an opportunity to showcase the tracking ability of Mathus and Joseph. Papa remarked that there was significant tracking through huge collections of scattered tracks and across bone dry rock and the like. At one point when we were out looking for wildebeest the next day the phone rang and I could tell something was up.

--They got an oryx?

“He says they hit one but are tracking. He says they will find it.”

--A bad hit? They have been looking for a while?

“All I know is that if Mathus says they will find it, they will find it.”

And they do. Apparently during the stalk they came over a rise and a whole family of cheetahs was also on the stalk and they walked right past the bunch of them (you think where you hunt has predator issues?). Apparently they considered briefly stopping for photos but Papa was dead-set on closing on the oryx. After a bit of walking and another shot or two they did get Papa’s oryx as well.

View attachment 557138

On our last meal we feasted on kudu tenderloin and sat by the fire to reflect. Our hosts were very amused that I so enjoyed this local double IPA that is made in Windhoek but could be a sticky Portland beer served in any of the pubs back home. Apparently it had been in the bar fridge for 6 months since none of the Texans that visit will drink it (Thanks y'all!). Not too many Oregon beer guys come visit? But we did a number on them over the week. On our last morning we took the kudu skulls out of the salt for one last photo

View attachment 557139

And finally, one last trophy – at last when we arrive back at the airport in Windhoek what do we track down but Papa’s ammo case, which somehow was lost on the plane and logged an untold number of miles going back and forth from Jo’berg to Windhoek over the course of the week. Then we finally got a hold of the right person that could go retrieve it off the plane and hold it for us. Not that it did us much good on this trip, but at least it will be there for mule deer season back home.

View attachment 557140

Then finally leaving and a long wait at the airport to reflect. We discuss it all—with nothing but gratitude. We say farewell—or at least, until next time -- to our hosts and get ready for the LONG trip back. It has taken year and I can’t help but think of it like the ending of your favorite song – sad to see it end but so gratefully that you heard it and experienced it, especially with others. This place, at once so foreign but similar to being in places that we have hunted before, like something new that reminds you of the hunts from long ago. Or lyrics from your favorite song that you can’t help but remember at times “I toured the light-- so many foreign roads. For Namibia, forever ago.”

View attachment 557141
@SoylentGreen
I left my comments until I finished reading about your hunt.
Very well written and enjoyable.
It bought back fond memories of Namibia and the time I spent with my wife, son and new friends.
The hunting was unbelievable. My son shot his first African game on father's day. A better present a man could never get. Hunting with my son is always a great time and I'm continually thankful he took up this great pasting.
Thank you again.
Bob

@phillip Glass
My guns were checked thru from Peth Australia to Windhoek. They came of one plane in Jo'burg onto the Windhoek plane and picked up at Windhoek.
On the way over ammo was allowed to be packed IN my luggage but on the way home it had to be separated. Go figure. All arrived safely in Windhoek and back home.
Bob

@phillip Glass
My guns were checked thru from Peth Australia to Windhoek. They came of one plane in Jo'burg onto the Windhoek plane and picked up at Windhoek.
On the way over ammo was allowed to be packed IN my luggage but on the way home it had to be separated. Go figure. All arrived safely in Windhoek and back home.
Bob
Yes this is what I've done. It is worth a try to sweet talk Airlink etc to allow you to keep ammo in the suitcase on the way home. If you are flying from another country to JNB it is possible but if you are domestic they never allow it (so far).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.