AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, NRA
Hunted
EasternCape, RSA. Freestate, RSA. Coutada10, Mozambique. Namibia. Hungary. Poland. New Zealand. BC., Canada. Alaska, USA. Western States, USA,
My brother and I are just back from a great two weeks in Namibia hunting first with Helmut and Cindy Boshoff at Onduri Safaris, and then moving up the road a piece to hunt with Scot and Katie Burchell at Burchell-Wolf Safaris.
A completely different hunting experience at either outfit, but great people at both.

We both decided to hunt with classic rifles, my brother bringing his Shaw Custom in .35 Whelan, and I my Winchester Model 70 chambered for the good ol' .30-06 Guv'ment.

We won the hunt at Onduri in an auction at a DSC dinner.
It included a Hartman Zebra, a Gemsbok, and several cull animals of the outfitter's choice, to be split by the two hunters. Accommodations were nicely done stone bungalows, with a nice outdoor fire area and both indoor and outdoor dining areas. A good deal of culling had been going on here at this time of year, so the animals were a bit shy of the truck(s). This made the hunting a bit difficult if you didn't want to shoot from the truck, but we were still able to take some great animals. I took a nice Hartman's Mountain Zebra after a really fun foot stalk through the thick stuff and a great Impala at last light after sitting a water hole. My brother took a cull eland with a long-ish shot out in the open, and an ancient female Gemsbok, also at last light by a water hole. We also spent a day touring the Etosha National Park, which is where we were able to get the close-up photos of the bull elephant below.

When we moved over to Burchell-Wolf the flavor of the camp and the style of hunting changed dramatically !
The camp was old school... tented... with nicely fitted out wall tents inside thatch structures and a main building set up boma style with a covered perimeter area housing the dining tables and a small bar, but a central fire area open to the African sky. It was traditional and cool and comfortable and relaxing.
The countryside was more mountainous, and though we moved via Land Cruisers, we hunted by climbing to high points to glass, and then we hiked and climbed and busted brush, sometimes eight and ten miles a day, through some harsh, rocky, thorny country !
Our focus was on Blue Wildebeest and Burchell's Zebra. After all, this was Scot Burchell's outfit !
More than 200 years ago, on a five year African expedition from 1810 to 1815, British explorer and naturalist William John Burchell catalogued and named thousands of species of flora and fauna, including the Blue Wildebeest and the Burchell Zebra.
Seven generations later the Burchell family remains in southern Africa, and my brother and I hunted these incredible animals with William's great, great, great, great, great grandnephew Scot.
A really great connection. Circular, and historically interesting, it added immensely to our enjoyment of the hunt. Scot is a young man, but he knows his family history, and seemed to enjoy the fact that we enjoyed that part of the experience as well. Hunting being hunting, my brother was not able to fill his tag on the Wildebeest, but he did take a great Burchell's stallion, and a stud of a Gemsbok bull. I took my Wildebeest, (after a poor first shot, a death-march of a track, and a gunfight-like finisher as the tracking dog held him at bay), a great Burchell's Zebra, and a smoker of a Springbok.

We finished our trip with a drive out across the Namib desert, to the famous Skeleton Coast, and then down the coast road to the old German colonial town of Swakopmund, where we overnighted before the drive back to Windhoek and our long flights home.

All in all a great trip.
I would recommend either outfitter, though the experience differs dramatically.
If you're looking for a hunt that is less demanding physically, with more truck than shoe leather, a family type atmosphere, some fixed blinds and elevated shooting stands over water, and the opportunity to do more shooting for cull animals, Onduri would be the better choice.
If you're looking for a more "boutique" experience, with a traditional tented camp, an old school flavor, a bit tougher, more foot stalk oriented hunting style, and a bit of historical flair... Burchell-Wolf will satisfy.
Enjoy the pics !

Onduri Camp.jpeg
Burchell-Wolf Camp 1.JPG
Hartman Mountain Zebra.JPG
My Impala at Last Light.jpeg
Rob Takes his Burchell Zebra.jpeg
Scot and I and Riley the Dog and My Blue Wildebeest (2).jpeg
The Team and My Burchell Zebra.jpeg
Angry Elephant.jpg
Rhino.JPG
Scot Burchell Glassing.jpg
Skeleton Coast.JPG
Boma.jpg
Eland.jpeg

Attachments

• Rob and I and His Great Gemsbok.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Elephant.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice. Sounds like you had a great adventure. Thank You for sharing!

That elephant picture is great with the gemsbok in the background. Nice trip. Namibia is a great country to visit.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great report, thank you. Both look like great hunt destinations. That's a pretty fine eland for "a cull". Beautiful.......great choice of cartridges for Namibia...............FWB

Can you tell us what other animals and in what numbers you encountered them on each of the areas?
Firebird, yes...

At Onduri we saw good numbers of Impala, Springbok, Eland, Hartman's Zebra, Blue and Black Wildebeest, Giraffe, some Waterbuck, and smaller numbers of Kudu and Hartebeest.
There was also some predator sign, including cat tracks. We never saw them, but we were not out at night.

At Burchell-Wolf we saw Blue Wildebeest, Hartman's and Burchell Zebras, Diker, Dik Dik, and Steenbok in good numbers on the mountainous "home" area. In the surrounding, more open, plains areas, there were big numbers of Springbok, Impala, Giraffe, several very nice Kudu, and also some Blesbok and Hartebeest. We again saw plenty of predator sign, including leopard tracks, and I saw two Aardwolf.

Both locations had incredible numbers of Gemsbok of course.

Beautiful pictures indeed, but from your writing it's look like there was not a lot of animals in those areas?
O.M....
Not crazy numbers I guess... the country is very thick, and the mild weather meant the leaves had not yet fallen, so they were hard to spot... but if one hunted hard, they were there.
See my response to Firebird above.

Thanks for your report. I am hunting with Scot's brother Fred at the moment. The Burchell family history is nothing short of amazing.

I just returned from my hunt in Namib with Burchell-Wolf and we also had an amazing experience.
Excellent !
I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
The camp was so great, wasn't it...? So old school.... almost like something out of a movie.
And we really liked the people...
Scot and Dudley and Wilhelm and Johannis were amazing on the hunt !

Excellent !
I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
The camp was so great, wasn't it...? So old school.... almost like something out of a movie.
And we really liked the people...
Scot and Dudley and Wilhelm and Johannis were amazing on the hunt !
The camp and comradery was perfect. I prefer my camps as old school as possible! I will get my hunting report up from my time with them in the next couple days. It was great reading yours.

My brother and I are just back from a great two weeks in Namibia hunting first with Helmut and Cindy Boshoff at Onduri Safaris, and then moving up the road a piece to hunt with Scot and Katie Burchell at Burchell-Wolf Safaris.
A completely different hunting experience at either outfit, but great people at both.

We both decided to hunt with classic rifles, my brother bringing his Shaw Custom in .35 Whelan, and I my Winchester Model 70 chambered for the good ol' .30-06 Guv'ment.

We won the hunt at Onduri in an auction at a DSC dinner.
It included a Hartman Zebra, a Gemsbok, and several cull animals of the outfitter's choice, to be split by the two hunters. Accommodations were nicely done stone bungalows, with a nice outdoor fire area and both indoor and outdoor dining areas. A good deal of culling had been going on here at this time of year, so the animals were a bit shy of the truck(s). This made the hunting a bit difficult if you didn't want to shoot from the truck, but we were still able to take some great animals. I took a nice Hartman's Mountain Zebra after a really fun foot stalk through the thick stuff and a great Impala at last light after sitting a water hole. My brother took a cull eland with a long-ish shot out in the open, and an ancient female Gemsbok, also at last light by a water hole. We also spent a day touring the Etosha National Park, which is where we were able to get the close-up photos of the bull elephant below.

When we moved over to Burchell-Wolf the flavor of the camp and the style of hunting changed dramatically !
The camp was old school... tented... with nicely fitted out wall tents inside thatch structures and a main building set up boma style with a covered perimeter area housing the dining tables and a small bar, but a central fire area open to the African sky. It was traditional and cool and comfortable and relaxing.
The countryside was more mountainous, and though we moved via Land Cruisers, we hunted by climbing to high points to glass, and then we hiked and climbed and busted brush, sometimes eight and ten miles a day, through some harsh, rocky, thorny country !
Our focus was on Blue Wildebeest and Burchell's Zebra. After all, this was Scot Burchell's outfit !
More than 200 years ago, on a five year African expedition from 1810 to 1815, British explorer and naturalist William John Burchell catalogued and named thousands of species of flora and fauna, including the Blue Wildebeest and the Burchell Zebra.
Seven generations later the Burchell family remains in southern Africa, and my brother and I hunted these incredible animals with William's great, great, great, great, great grandnephew Scot.
A really great connection. Circular, and historically interesting, it added immensely to our enjoyment of the hunt. Scot is a young man, but he knows his family history, and seemed to enjoy the fact that we enjoyed that part of the experience as well. Hunting being hunting, my brother was not able to fill his tag on the Wildebeest, but he did take a great Burchell's stallion, and a stud of a Gemsbok bull. I took my Wildebeest, (after a poor first shot, a death-march of a track, and a gunfight-like finisher as the tracking dog held him at bay), a great Burchell's Zebra, and a smoker of a Springbok.

We finished our trip with a drive out across the Namib desert, to the famous Skeleton Coast, and then down the coast road to the old German colonial town of Swakopmund, where we overnighted before the drive back to Windhoek and our long flights home.

All in all a great trip.
I would recommend either outfitter, though the experience differs dramatically.
If you're looking for a hunt that is less demanding physically, with more truck than shoe leather, a family type atmosphere, some fixed blinds and elevated shooting stands over water, and the opportunity to do more shooting for cull animals, Onduri would be the better choice.
If you're looking for a more "boutique" experience, with a traditional tented camp, an old school flavor, a bit tougher, more foot stalk oriented hunting style, and a bit of historical flair... Burchell-Wolf will satisfy.
Enjoy the pics !

View attachment 540363View attachment 540364View attachment 540365View attachment 540366View attachment 540368View attachment 540369View attachment 540370View attachment 540373View attachment 540374View attachment 540375View attachment 540376View attachment 540377View attachment 540378
@Winkabeast
The 35Whelen is a great plains game rifle. I used mine to great affect in Namibia as well.
There's plenty of information on this forum for loading the Whelen to bring out its FULL potential.
Great hunt snd great pictures. Well done.
Bob

Well, it took me awhile to get it done, but here's my video edit of this great trip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeraldAshc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?