My trophy shipment flagged by USDA

I can give you the name of a Montana USDA approved taxidermist to ship to if you want. Where are you in Montana. It's a big state.

Jim what importer did you pick to facilitate the USDA process?
Safari Speciality Importers

Their fee is more but in my opinion it is well worth it

They don't have to go to a USDA approved taxidermist or even a USDA tannery.

My importer SSI, has a certified warehouse where USDA shipments can go through which qualifies as far as the USDA is concerned. Then the shipment can go wherever the client wants. Either to the tannery, their taxidermist, or their home.

I just did this last year.
My trophies are sitting in a USDA approved warehouse now. Coppersmith list two on their website. I think you just got the right inspector on the right day. I’ve had problems and I’ve had no problems depending on the shipment. This is a first though for just a pair of tusks.

My trophies are sitting in a USDA approved warehouse now. Coppersmith list two on their website. I think you just got the right inspector on the right day. I’ve had problems and I’ve had no problems depending on the shipment. This is a first though for just a pair of tusks.
The tusks are ivory? & the USA has a memorandum on ivory?

There is more to it than just the warehouse. They also need a person who is certified to do the USDA inspection.

I'm not up on all that is involved, but my importer was on top of it, along with all the requirements from the shipper in South Africa until the crate was in my driveway.

Yes, the tusk are ivory, but don't fall under the restrictions that elephant ivory does.

I believe there are a few countries you can import elephant ivory from, Namibia, South Africa and Botswana come to mind, not sure about Zimbabwe and Zambia and Mozambique was a no go the year I spent there. Of course all of this may have changed. No matter if legal or not it’s probably a royal PAIN in the ASS to do so.

Last edited:
There is more to it than just the warehouse. They also need a person who is certified to do the USDA inspection.

I'm not up on all that is involved, but my importer was on top of it, along with all the requirements from the shipper in South Africa until the crate was in my driveway.
There is more to it. I think you are making some assumptions because you had a good experience. Although the more I read about SSI they sound very good, but I’m not sure their fee is reasonable for most shipments. I’ve used two other brokers in past, fauna and flora and trophy shippers. This isn’t first time I’ve had to send trophies to tannery first.

I should add also just two months ago I carried boar tusks from Europe on plaque through customs at airport. I declared on entry and was given no problems after a relatively quick inspection by two agents. I don’t think there is any consistency you can plan for when it comes to this.

Last edited:
I wondered about hippo and hog ivory

wonder how the USA government shutdown will effect inspection and lag time
I don’t know about possible shut down, but I know since Covid the taxidermy I use cannot get a USDA inspection to renew their facility. It made my shipments easy while he had it.

My next year safari to John X in the cape may be my last. I have been going every couple years but all in expense is getting to be too much (flights, outfitter, taxidermy).

Last edited:
I can give you the name of a Montana USDA approved taxidermist to ship to if you want. Where are you in Montana. It's a big state.

Thank you sir but I am going to let the wildlife gallery do it because it goes there anyway to get tanned. Downside is they will ship skulls etc to my mt taxidermist because they don’t want them sitting around for the 10 months tanning takes!

You bet. Let me know if I can help!

Coppersmith just informed me that my trophy shipment of Buffalo and cape, Buffalo skull only,2 Nyala and capes, bushbuck and cape, and 2 carved skulls (warthog and impala) , must go to a USDA APPROVED taxidermist . There are 11 approved taxidermists in Montana and I don’t know any of them.
Does anyone know what is up with this BS?
They can ship it directly to you and you can take it to taxidermist. Call Micheal coppersmith and talk to him.

My taxidermist uses wildlife gallery in Michigan for tanning so we are sending shipment to them and they are going to send skulls etc to the taxidermist and get the tanning done in 9 months to a year.
Give Tom Hardesty a call in Butte, he is a great guy, he’ll of a taxidermist and handles a lot of import. PM me is you need a number.

last night I emailed Laura at Coppersmiths in Chicago asking for clarification on this issue and if something has changed so I hope she gets back to me today and I will post what she said

just got a reply from Laura and she said all ports are different and have their own rules. in Chicago hogs that are mounted do NOT have to go to USDA but dip and pack have to also if there is meat on the tusks or skull then it has to go. mounted primates do not have to go BUT in Chicago they will not open the crate so Coppersmith's has an inspector come to their warehouse and clear it if it is clean, cost 100.00. buffalo do not have to go. also all birds that are NOT mounted have to go to a USDA inspector.

You would hope they could get some uniformed regulations for all of the ports. Never mind its just a prime example of the inept US govt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KZNWilliem

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.