AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting Reports
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Red Leg you are correct in your assumption. The barrel is clearly stamped 30-06, etched into the barrel is
300 Wby. Mag. The gun has virtually no collector value and in my opinion very little commercial value. If the gun shoots and functions well, it is probably best to leave it as it is. BTW when I picked this rifle out of the collection I did not have another 300 Magnum of any sort. This was my first.

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It was this very sort of nonsense back in the day that earned the Weatherby and the people using it their less than stellar reputation in Africa. Too many clients tried to emulate their magazine heroes with chronically bad bullets on game that was too big, too dangerous, or too far. Within its limitations, a great rifle. But this sort of silliness got people stomped.
That's true Red Leg :) You should really see how much those 1950s and 1960s era Magazines praise the .458 Winchester Magnum :p . They treat it like the bloody hammer of Thor !
That said , l certainly want Shootist43 to actually use this gun rather than make it a safe Queen :). At the VERY LEAST , this article shows that the .300 Weatherby Magnum has good potential ( although it is dangerous and illegal to use on DG today ) . In the article itself , the last page speaks of a few instances when the gun fails the author.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting Reports
Articles
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Red Leg you are correct in your assumption. The barrel is clearly stamped 30-06, etched into the barrel is
300 Wby. Mag. The gun has virtually no collector value and in my opinion very little commercial value. If the gun shoots and functions well, it is probably best to leave it as it is. BTW when I picked this rifle out of the collection I did not have another 300 Magnum of any sort. This was my first.
Then I would shoot it. You might come to like it. With bullets today, it is a superb .30 cal magnum with a lot of reach. Fortunately, the gunsmith marked the barrel, so selling it isn’t an issue should you decide to move it along. I had a .300 H&H magnum pre-64 for a few years before a friend with a MacNaughton SxS offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse. It shot well, and shot comfortably, but it had the magnum length barrel. Yours will have a bit more muzzle blast and recoil due to the cartridge itself and the non-magnum configuration.

shootist~

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
First and foremost, IMO, is get a trusted gunsmith to check it over. It might or might not be safe to shoot. Would an 06 magazine even be long enough to fit a 300 Weatherby mag cartridge?

TNDave

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
If you are 30 caliber heavy and would like something different, how about a rebarrel to 358 Norma or 358 STA...

Latest profile posts

ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.
On the ocean or in the bush .
On the ocean or in the bush.