My Quandary

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Shootist43, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Red Leg you are correct in your assumption. The barrel is clearly stamped 30-06, etched into the barrel is
    300 Wby. Mag. The gun has virtually no collector value and in my opinion very little commercial value. If the gun shoots and functions well, it is probably best to leave it as it is. BTW when I picked this rifle out of the collection I did not have another 300 Magnum of any sort. This was my first.

2. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    That's true Red Leg :) You should really see how much those 1950s and 1960s era Magazines praise the .458 Winchester Magnum :p . They treat it like the bloody hammer of Thor !
    That said , l certainly want Shootist43 to actually use this gun rather than make it a safe Queen :). At the VERY LEAST , this article shows that the .300 Weatherby Magnum has good potential ( although it is dangerous and illegal to use on DG today ) . In the article itself , the last page speaks of a few instances when the gun fails the author.

3. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Then I would shoot it. You might come to like it. With bullets today, it is a superb .30 cal magnum with a lot of reach. Fortunately, the gunsmith marked the barrel, so selling it isn’t an issue should you decide to move it along. I had a .300 H&H magnum pre-64 for a few years before a friend with a MacNaughton SxS offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse. It shot well, and shot comfortably, but it had the magnum length barrel. Yours will have a bit more muzzle blast and recoil due to the cartridge itself and the non-magnum configuration.

4. shootist~

shootist~ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico
    First and foremost, IMO, is get a trusted gunsmith to check it over. It might or might not be safe to shoot. Would an 06 magazine even be long enough to fit a 300 Weatherby mag cartridge?

5. TNDave

TNDave AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    If you are 30 caliber heavy and would like something different, how about a rebarrel to 358 Norma or 358 STA...