My new Model 70 pre 64- 375 H&H "working" rifle- Have sight question

I DO NOT support drilling that rifle!

However you could mix old world craftsmanship with cutting edge sights….

Have a competent smith drift the rear sight out of the dovetail and order an RM62 mount.

The smith can machine that custom blank base to the rear sight dovetail.

Then you can mount either an RMR or SRO sight to make it easier on your eyes and preserve the value of your rifle by storing the rear sight in a safe place.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.27.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.27.26 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.27.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 6.27.27 AM.png
    765.6 KB · Views: 36
@318AE and @Denvir Tire. I have not used a peep sight since my NRA days as a kid. Express are fine now, eye sight is good enough. These sights are just a little wore out, I need them replace them sure, as the front is bent and the rear is loose.
But on the other hand, peep does make sense, for more precise shooting. Don't you have to notch the stock and tap the receiveer for a peep sight? Or can you use the existing holes on the left side of the receiver.
If you were fitting a target peep sight (intended for shooting out to 1,000 or maybe 1200 yards, you would have to notch the stock BUT you just need a standard Redfield or Lyman diopter sight.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the responses, opinions ans suggestions. I still have not got a chance to fire her yet but I have compared her to several other rifles including modern Mod. 70's and shotguns as to the balance and pulling her straight into my line of sight. She is the best, only my Citori and Savage Mod. 99 compare. I don't even have to tilt my head, exactly where I am looking the bead appears.

Because of this I am hesitant to add scope or modern red dot/Trijicon RM style sights. I have never used a red dot or RM style sight before. @deewayne2003 do you use a RM style sight? If you do, does it make adjust your check on the comb?

Yes, I am still on the fence about tapping her, even more so since pulls up so nice. I know she is not a collector value because the condition, but she all original. @Vintageguy I agree about redos either leave it or go all the way and then its just another custom pre 64.

@Velo Dog, I looked at NECG, but did not see a front sight that looks to work with a M70 dovetail front ramp. I like this sights as well. Its neatly impossible to find a Lymm 6w front v sight to replace the worn one (not out) on her. My first order of business is to get a highly visible front sight and shoot several boxes of shells and get a feel for this express site. Then checked under her hood and get her serviced by gunsmith. A complete disassembly, ultrasonic bath and inspection is what she needs.

Thanks Again,

Kelley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.