AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX, CA and NC
I am in possession of a gun that is almost certainly my great-great-grandfather's. It is a Williams Muzzleloading 10/11-bore percussion shotgun (still trying to get gauge right its in not great shape). I am interested in having a working (as close as possible with modern steel) replica made that I can hunt with. I'll post pictures in a little bit but the original is too far gone to use. Since I still hunt on the property he hunted I want to hunt some deer and turkey with a gun as close to his as I can. Any information that could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Last edited:
C141042E-D21D-4101-9448-679A17F8295B.jpeg
EF807886-C578-47A2-89BD-85004733DA2C.jpeg
3BCC7D7F-3997-4497-8E85-C4989487C6DC.jpeg
5739616A-3ABD-4900-9DC2-AD62BF6936EE.jpeg
12B9A4D4-628F-494D-9C37-790910C1E8AF.jpeg

That's a big project, unless you.take a pedrisoli or take some parts off other guns, to.build one from scratch, making the breach section, installing and regulating the tubes (with modern steel) plus stock work and locks, your really looking at 5-7 grand, as everything has to be made by hand. Also, what country are you.from?

I am in the US the 10ga Pedersoli kit is very close in dimensions and I can get it as a base to start the project. I am not under the impression this will be a super cheap or quick project but want to see what I can do on this. I Understand the similarities will be mostly cosmetic.

That's a big project, unless you.take a pedrisoli or take some parts off other guns, to.build one from scratch, making the breach section, installing and regulating the tubes (with modern steel) plus stock work and locks, your really looking at 5-7 grand, as everything has to be made by hand. Also, what country are you.from?
welcome to AH by the way

Who would you look to, to do the work? either full custom or from a Pedersoli base?

I do this kind of stuff, I built the 8 bore rifle that is in the picture. I can take the pedrosoli, use the barrels, locks and triggers etc. since that one that you have is of English manufacture, I would have to find or build a English trigger guard, and other parts and possibly have to make a stock, depends how the other parts line up in the existing stock the more expensive way is to build it from scratch. I have to say, I haven't built a double from scratch, but I have re-soldered and regulated a couple. I'm being open and honest here. I have built rifles from scratch and restored several old ones back to shooting condition.. I am a retired gunsmith, but still work on the old stuff, to keep me busy.

I just looked at the pedrosoli again, seems they followed the English style also, so it is close, your right. I would have to re checker it and some other dementional stuff. did you want the engraving to match or be close to the old one?

I’m sure you can find a very similar shotgun either here in the States or in England that is in fine condition.
That option would come in way below the cost of a custom build.

Dixie Gunworks used to sell 10 gauge double kits similar. They are a wealth of parts and kits for black powder guns

Look on the web for:

National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

There are several gunsmiths and muzzle loading companies listed in the Muzzle Blast magazine that might be able to help you source parts and information on your rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH