Murray Customer Leather Ammo Belt vs. Murray Ammo Slide

Beck

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
On my last trip to Africa, I noticed my PH's ammo belt was getting old, so I gifted him my Murray custom leather belt. I am now looking to buy another belt, from Murray, but I am also looking at their Ammo slides (rifle shell holder). The rifle shell holder essentially slides onto your regular belt. Does anyone have experience with both? Any opinions on which system is better?

I have both. The belt and the slide are equally useful. For weight, the slide is the better choice. The belt looks awesomely cool. So there’s that!

I have both. The belt and the slide are equally useful. For weight, the slide is the better choice. The belt looks awesomely cool. So there’s that!
The belt's do look really cool, but I kind of remember it being a pain in the ass to pack

Depends on how much ammo you want to carry. Lots of personal preferences with ammo. I like the ammo belt but hate having the butt ammo cuffs on the rifle. Slides are ok if they hold enough for you. For me, the double rifle and ammo belt go together well along with a knife or multi-tool.

Just add anothe slide if you need more ammo easy to move around and out of the way

I was using a slide and currently have a Murray Custom Ammo Belt.
1683233930496.png

I prefer the belt because I always keep it with my rifle. If we are taking a break out in the bush and we need to move quickly, the belt (with a knife in a scabbard) is within arms reach and easy to put on or just throw over my shoulder. Plus when we get back to the truck, the belt comes off so there is no ammo/knife handle sticking me in the ribs...without having to undo and redo my belt because I'm wearing a slide.

The slide still gets used, but more as an accessory to the ammo belt. Mostly to carry additional ammo for my wife. I'm a nice guy like that.

If considering the ammo belt, take a look at the ones with synthetic ammo loops. I much prefer them to keep ammo dry. Leather ammo loops soak up sweat, etc pretty fast. Plus the stretchiness gives you a little better range of ammo you can carry. I'm comfortable with 375 up to 500NE or 500J with my belt. I think it would carry larger too.

If considering the ammo belt, take a look at the ones with synthetic ammo loops. I much prefer them to keep ammo dry. Leather ammo loops soak up sweat, etc pretty fast. Plus the stretchiness gives you a little better range of ammo you can carry. I'm comfortable with 375 up to 500NE or 500J with my belt. I think it would carry larger too.
Definitely going with synthetic. The leather looks great, but I find the elastic cartridge loops to be more practical.

I was using a slide and currently have a Murray Custom Ammo Belt.
View attachment 532008

I prefer the belt because I always keep it with my rifle. If we are taking a break out in the bush and we need to move quickly, the belt (with a knife in a scabbard) is within arms reach and easy to put on or just throw over my shoulder. Plus when we get back to the truck, the belt comes off so there is no ammo/knife handle sticking me in the ribs...without having to undo and redo my belt because I'm wearing a slide.

The slide still gets used, but more as an accessory to the ammo belt. Mostly to carry additional ammo for my wife. I'm a nice guy like that.
Ok, so this is the best argument I have heard for the belt. The slide does seem more practical for most things, other than when you get back in the truck. The damn slide is more of a pain in that regard.

Another way of saying that is your belt or pouch is going to get wet with sweat, water, etc so keep that in mind. I can leave my ammo there and not worry about my brass turning green or getting corroded like has happened to me with full leather construction.

I have both.....
for me Murray's 1.5" Trophy belt and Slides work.... If I I'm carrying 2 rifles on the truck I can have extra slides in my back with rounds for the second rifle If I'm changing rifles all I have to do is pull a slide off and put on another

I agree, but why do you feel that way
This may take a bit….

They both have their pros. I have found more cons to a cartridge belt.

A cartridge belt holds cartridges, a knife, sometimes a handgun. It does nothing to hold your britches up as you typically can’t run one through your belt loops. As a matter of fact, if you get enough stuff hanging off of a cartridge belt they will help your pants fall down. Then you throw a real belt on underneath to do a job it could have done all by itself.

Then you have two layers of leather, and two buckles hanging round your middle. One thing two buckles are really good at doing are pinching your belly rolls every time you move.

I hunt exclusively horseback, so I have another layer pinching my rolls by the time I throw a set of chaps on too.

I will admit, the one occasion I find a loose belt more practical is when I’m throwing loads on mules. I can swing my revolver around behind me, and I don’t knock it around while I’m throwing bear boxes on animals.

I typically carry ten round slides. I carry one on my belt, two in my saddle bags, and a couple in a pack; though I’ve never been far away from my horse to try and carry that thing.

I’ve not been in a situation, a loaded rifle and one slide wouldn’t get me out of; but if I do. I have several more within easy reach.

Granted I may have to go through the anguish of unbuckling my belt to get myself reloaded with a fresh slide.

I can also easily carry different cartridges if I like. Sometimes I like to hunt grouse with the old .45 for camp in the afternoon.

I could probably kick this into the dirt a little more, but I feel like I should call this one.

I use the ammo slide with a ranger belt made by Tucker Gun Leather. Works great. I prefer the ammo slides because I can switch them out based on caliber.

20200811_153033.jpg

Ok, so this is the best argument I have heard for the belt. The slide does seem more practical for most things, other than when you get back in the truck. The damn slide is more of a pain in that regard.

The slide doesn’t go on the belt holding your pants up, it goes on a separate belt with your knife and possibles pouch, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MerriPrieu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.