Mounts for my pre64

ducmarc

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Bare with me this is my first post on the forum. I picked up another pre64 magnum. This time in 300hh.nice rifle but could use a nicer stock. Anyway my other two magnums have leupold two piece Redfield style mounts.for this one i was either go to the Redfield style or the QR ones or tally one piece or something else putting a nice vzf steiner that I had laid back. Thanks

So the spacing of the rear holes should be .44" which limits the selection a bit since current production are either .33" or .86". but there are enough available that you should find something to your liking. I prefer the Leupold QR (not the QRW). the Talley are nice but I had a problem with the threading on one of their screws and their customer service was sadly lacking, otherwise they are a good choice.

Are the QR ones accurate enough to recenter properly? And yes it has the proper bolt hole spacing. .440 warne makes a mount also.this steiner is ridiculously big have never used it on a rifle may have to us extra tall mounts. have a pair of leupold tall mts hopefully will work.me and mounts are like choke tubes I buy a handful use one and throw the rest in the gunshow bin. Lol

I believe that the QRW is much stronger than the QR and is excellent on returning to zero. IMO, Talley beats them both hands down. Very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them Ray. My experience with them has been excellent.

I hate to disagree with Ray as well. But, in my experience, Talley are superb and are on almost everything I have that isn't built by Blaser. And use the separate bases for the Talley rings. It is a much more elegant solution and absolutely trustworthy. Finally, the folks at Talley are, again in my experience, great to deal with on the phone and can offer great advice with respect to ring height.

I’m dealing with this issue right now too. My 375 H&H is a 1950 mod70. The original mounts, when the rifle came to me, were horrible millet bases. My rear screw spacing isn’t standard though. I’m going about it slightly different than you. I am going to cut and mill a full length rail into front and rear bases, then drill the rear screw holes to the correct spacing. Mainly because I couldn’t find bases with the proper spacing for the old H&H length receiver. Please post what you come up with.

I have avoided the QR mount since I had one of the studs fracture on my Dakota 280AI. The stud on the ring fractured through the thin section where it engages the mounts locking lever.

I would second the Talley.

I will Third or Fourth on Talley! I have there mounts on Pre 64 Winchesters and all my CZs.

Never an issue with customer service. I call them and tell them the action and scope combo and they send the right ones every time.

I should clarify the issue with Talley. The problem was a defective Quick Release screw. It wasn't unworkable, it was just "not right". I didn't examine it but my guess is that there's a slight barb or bend in the threads at the tip of the screw. For those unfamiliar with the mount, it is two piece for each base. The permanent mount and the detachable mount are exactly the same. The only difference is the cross bolt/screw that hold the ring to the base. The permanent mount requires a wrench to turn it while the detachable has a lever that can be finger turned. So when I got this set of mounts (two bases and rings) it came with four screws, two if it was to be permanent, and two with the lever attached for use as detachable. The two wrench screws threaded into the mount beautifully, as did one on the levered. However the final levered screw was very resistant to screwing into the mount. Just as if some imperfection at the tip of the screw was pushing against the thread. The screw would follow the threads but required pliers to get leverage to twist it.

I contacted the company and was told that the screw was probably defective and if I returned it they would see if in fact it was and if it was, they would send a new one, but that by screwing the screw into the mount I would have damaged the threads, so that was my fault and they wouldn't replace it.

So I still have the mount and screws. If I decide to have a scope on a permanent mount, I'll use it, but as for a detachable mount all that I have to do is look at it to know I won't be using a Talley.

Thanks for all the response I think I'll call talley today and see what they have.hopefully there's enough taper on the barrel to afford the objective bell its 50 ish mm. Although it has real good light gathering (atleast for my eyes)was playing with it at near dark last night.

Talley. IF for some reason they don't have the proper hole spacing, they'll furnish a blank to be drilled out by a gunsmith or machine shop (but they'll likely do a custom model for you, if necess.) NEVER had an issue with them. Have purchased so many sets from them directly, they send me extra screw sets for new projects regularly, for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.