MOUNTAIN BUFFALO - RAINER JOSCH

'Have both. 'Can still buy both online. Great stuff. Once approached Ranier re: the mtn hunt for my Son and I ($40K.) Passed in favor of somewhat flatter trekking in Zim for < than half that. PH put a stuffed mtn gorilla in our tent to make it seem more TZ'ish.

Mountain Buffalo – Wilderness Hunting in Tanzania

Mountain Buffalo – Wilderness Hunting in Tanzania

review of an exciting DVD

1277d1259291832-mountain-buffalo-rainer-josch-mountain-buffalo.jpg

This production by Rainer Josch and his tracker Lorinyu is a film in a class of its own and could be classified a documentary. The film is not a typical hunting production and does not include large amounts of footage on animals being shot. The film is more about huge buffalo trophies being stalked on foot through difficult terrain. You’ll see the magnificent mountain landscape and the rich and diverse wildlife including elephant, lion, and leopard. Rainer’s own words aptly describe the contents, “the pursuing of an animal shall only become interesting when the hunt provides a challenge to the hunter. The taking of an animal should not be too easy, the risk of an unsuccessful outcome adds mystery and personalizes the hunting experience and is therefore a prerequisite...”

The film takes you on three awesome buffalo hunts around Mount Loosimingor in Northern Tanzania with Rainer being the narrator and guide on all three hunts. The hunts shown in the footage are two clients of Rainer, an American and a German, and the last one is of Rainer himself hunting a bull that he has seen often, but he knows his chances of bagging it are not good “…the Cape Buffalo provides one of the biggest challenges in Africa to the modern hunter. Those who have experienced buffalo hunting know about the powerful aura that radiates from this species…” All three are extremely difficult hunts with a great deal of opportunities to take huge trophies, some being successful and some not. This production provides the viewer with all the excitement and nerve-racking intensity of the stalk, the disappointment of failure and the joy, satisfaction and respect created by real hunting.

This movie is of the highest quality and the professional narrative makes it a truly remarkable production. It’s about real hunting—the way it should be. Rainer is completely set on hunting only the older mbogos, the bulls that have left the breeding herds and who have already passed on their genes. He also provides a great deal of insight on his thoughts of hunting and how this type of hunting is second to none “…there can hardly be a more pristine way in emerging yourself in nature than to hunt. Hunting is not the quarry, the gain or the trophy. Hunting is the trail, the path and a stalk. It gives me the most intense way of experiencing nature and myself, particularly on a mountain hunt for cape buffalo…It is only through such a process of elevated consciousness with great respect for the animal and an appreciation for the magnificence of creation that anyone can truly say ‘I hunt’.”

The narration gives a choice between English, Danish, French, Spanish, German to be selected when starting the movie (the section with the German client has subtitles in English).
How can I download it please to watch? Nothing happens when I double click

Found it on YouTube-that works for most people

'Have both. 'Can still buy both online. Great stuff. Once approached Ranier re: the mtn hunt for my Son and I ($40K.) Passed in favor of somewhat flatter trekking in Zim for < than half that. PH put a stuffed mtn gorilla in our tent to make it seem more TZ'ish.
After I saw this video, I emailed Ranier a couple times in the lat two years with no response. I really wanted to do this type of hunt. It remained me of several hunts I went on in the early 80's and I am not interested in plains game. However, at that price I will go ahead look a another Zim hunt. Was that for two buffs?

After I saw this video, I emailed Ranier a couple times in the lat two years with no response. I really wanted to do this type of hunt. It remained me of several hunts I went on in the early 80's and I am not interested in plains game. However, at that price I will go ahead look a another Zim hunt. Was that for two buffs?
It was for one each plus other trophy fees as you will see most of the antelope endemic to Tanzania at the base. I don't know if it's true or not but I was informed by one of his competitors in Tanzania that he retired from the business just a few years ago. If the dark recess is recall correctly I believe he put out a third DVD which I do not own yet. (my inquiry must've been in 2018 or early 2019. Now that I recall, not faulting him as I do same in my own business-it seemed at the time he had become so successful that he was "cherry-picking" jobs to take depending upon profitability level.)

Last edited:
Every single Hunter should familiarize themselves with his preamble at the beginning of the mountain buffalo video. What it really means to hunt... Far from The taking of an animal. One evening long ago I took the time to transcribe it just have to find it and repost

I would have been fine paying the 20K if I were going solo but wanted my son along so found a more economical alternative as his second round of schooling cost 500K LOL (and the young man is considering $200K more (2 yrs) to double his already heroic income.)

Last edited:
I believe both his films are now freely available on his Youtube channel.
Probably the two best buffalo hunting films out there.

this is (the similar intro to) his newest video which i do not yet own...i believe he has 3 available on buff

this is (the similar intro to) his newest video which i do not yet own...i believe he has 3 available on buff
That is the trailer for "Buffalo Hunters- The Mountain Challenge, Part 1" Should come in case... top pic below. IMO, the best of his productions on Cape buffalo.

His other Cape Buffalo video is "Mountain Challenge- Wilderness Hunting Tanzania". Pic of case bottom below. His third video is "Buffalo Hunters- Challenging Water Buffalos, Part 2". I have not seen it and do not have it.

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

Last edited:
There's an even older one. I have to look for it as I can't find a photo of it online it's either here or at the farm? I think I got them all through Safari press

It was for one each plus other trophy fees as you will see most of the antelope endemic to Tanzania at the base. I don't know if it's true or not but I was informed by one of his competitors in Tanzania that he retired from the business just a few years ago. If the dark recess is recall correctly I believe he put out a third DVD which I do not own yet. (my inquiry must've been in 2018 or early 2019. Now that I recall, not faulting him as I do same in my own business-it seemed at the time he had become so successful that he was "cherry-picking" jobs to take depending upon profitability level.)
Yeah, 20K per hunter was not unreasonable. I would much rather walk then drive. I think that's why I like hunting the jungle and even the swamps to some degree, some much because we walk miles every day. As for cherry picking, I do the same in my job depending on profitably and how quick the client pays. I have not seen the second or third DVD, I am on the hunt now to get them...

Yah, I believe the earliest one, copyright 2008, is titled "Mountain Buffalo, Wilderness Hunting in Tanzania". Not a bad video, and in doing it, I think he learned about how to put together a first quality, highly finished product. IIRC he and his senior and head tracker Lorinyo received award(s) for "The Mountain Challenge- Part 1".

Here's a link to all currently listed by Rainer Josch- maybe current enough to list all of them.

Last edited:
Yah, I believe the earliest one, copyright 2008, is titled "Mountain Buffalo, Wilderness Hunting in Tanzania". Not a bad video, and in doing it, I think he learned about how to put together a first quality, highly finished product. IIRC he and his senior and head tracker Lorinyo received award(s) for "The Mountain Challenge- Part 1".

Here's a link to all currently listed by Rainer Josch- maybe current enough to list all of them.
His head tracker was 2nd to None! You can pick him out of a crowd by the swinging earlobes (Massai?) They worked together for a long time. His tracking in the Montaigne jungle was amazing!!!

As Firebird and VertigoBE suggested, one can find two of his videos on youtube. Watched both of them yesterday. Great videos!
Best way to spend a day when forced to stay in bed due to man's flu.:E Cold:;)
they just recently magically appeared on the smart TV (on the Youtube Channel) without searching-under new/featured or "things you may like."

Rainer's productions are definitely among my personal favourites on African hunting. That said, I do think that they are for an acquired taste. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as his films are all very clearly catered to a demographic of ethical hunters who are deeply passionate about the tradition.

However, there are a few moments in his films which I look back on now and think, "Oh gosh, don't get ahead of yourself, Rainer." His first film in particular had quite a few moments where he came across as pompous as he went on and on about, "What it means to hunt." One line just made me laugh a week or so ago when I was rewatching it (Mountain Buffalo) where he says, "His desire is purely to hunt. That means to be in contact with the Earth."

His second film (Buffalo Hunters: The Mountain Challenge) had a moment where he's introducing one of his clients and his background to the viewers, saying how he (the client) is excited about the trophy potential for buffalo on the mountain. Rainer then says afterwards, "This clearly concerned me, as hunting buffalo on the mountain is not about the trophy, but a great and intense experience." Mate, he didn't spend 28k USD just for the experience. A nice buffalo would be a desired add-on to said experience.

Rainer's productions are definitely among my personal favourites on African hunting. That said, I do think that they are for an acquired taste. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as his films are all very clearly catered to a demographic of ethical hunters who are deeply passionate about the tradition.

However, there are a few moments in his films which I look back on now and think, "Oh gosh, don't get ahead of yourself, Rainer." His first film in particular had quite a few moments where he came across as pompous as he went on and on about, "What it means to hunt." One line just made me laugh a week or so ago when I was rewatching it (Mountain Buffalo) where he says, "His desire is purely to hunt. That means to be in contact with the Earth."

His second film (Buffalo Hunters: The Mountain Challenge) had a moment where he's introducing one of his clients and his background to the viewers, saying how he (the client) is excited about the trophy potential for buffalo on the mountain. Rainer then says afterwards, "This clearly concerned me, as hunting buffalo on the mountain is not about the trophy, but a great and intense experience." Mate, he didn't spend 28k USD just for the experience. A nice buffalo would be a desired add-on to said experience.
Agreed. Very well produced but a touch overdramatized to suit me. Does come off as pretentious at times. One scene that probably bugs me more than it should is his morning meeting with his trackers. Looks like he’s sending them on a life and death mission or contemplating Gettysburg or something..

All I know is his videos are far superior to most (99.9%) whitetail hunting videos that are over cooked, whisper, whisper, whisper, loud rock music in the background that sounds like the guitar player in the movie Fury Road followed up by kneeling over the dead buck telling the story about everything from the belt buckle the hunter needs to wear... to the long, arduous, tedious stalk (usually from a blind) and finally the perfect but most difficult, marksman's shot that DRT'd the monster while continually turning the head in every direction. :)

His long intro in the one film about "what it means to hunt" is FANTASTIC. The reason it's in there is to promote and defend HUNTING to misunderstanding ANTI-HUNTERS. It couldn't have been said better AND i subscribe FULLY to what S. Ranier Josch said-and you should too! Listen again to every word he said...not everyone is 100% concerned with trophy size. To most, it's more about the entire experience. I've heard of certain people paying the PH to shoot trophies for them. I've got no time for that! The 20K is due to the rather exotic location and economy there. You'll not find a better deal than to hunt in the S. African countries (i.e. some big buff for 1/2 that price,) but that is a true mountain hunt in TZ. Apples and oranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross