Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Are MRC Actions any good? I see one for sale in 416 Rigby, the action group only, for $800. Is that a good price? If the action is good, I thought about buying it and slowly making or have a custom rifle made as I can afford the parts and labor.

Are MRC Actions any good? I see one for sale in 416 Rigby, the action group only, for $800. Is that a good price? If the action is good, I thought about buying it and slowly making or have a custom rifle made as I can afford the parts and labor.
There is also a MRC in 416 Rigby for sale for $2400, but I think the stock is ugly...

I don’t speak from experience but it “sounds” like a good price on the action

I don’t speak from experience but it “sounds” like a good price on the action
I never knew much about Montana Rife Co until today. It will be along time before I can afford my Heym, especially in this inflation world, so I thought if I buy pieces and have them put together...well then I might have something. I sent a message to the seller about the action.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.41.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.41.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.41.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.41.14 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
Overall looks like a nice rifle. I’ve never owned a Montana but know there are folks that have been happy and those that had issues. Biggest being poor QC and terrible customer service. I know there are posts on here about those who had run ins with the poor customer service and were not able to get MRC to fix the issues to their satisfaction. MRC is no longer in business because of those issues. I would want to make sure I had the opportunity to thoroughly test before buying. Could pick up a model 70 for considerably less.

Overall looks like a nice rifle. I’ve never owned a Montana but know there are folks that have been happy and those that had issues. Biggest being poor QC and terrible customer service. I know there are posts on here about those who had run ins with the poor customer service and were not able to get MRC to fix the issues to their satisfaction. MRC is no longer in business because of those issues. I would want to make sure I had the opportunity to thoroughly test before buying. Could pick up a model 70 for considerably less.
So it could be a real crapshoot gamble as to if I would be getting a good one or not. If I didn't then factory support is not there. I'd actually forgotten MRC was even a thing until I saw this rifle for sale.
I have a Model 70 in 375, but I have always wanted a 416 Rigby with the 4+1 capacity. I was thinking this might be a more economical inroad. My dream is a Heym Martini Express or a Mauser 98, but that is a distant dream. Especially in this economy.

It would be relatively easy to get an M70 in 416 Rem up to that configuration. You can get a Sunny Hill drop bottom for about $500 and a McMillan safari express stock for around $700 (that stock is made for the Sunny Hill bottom metal). If you can find a good donor at the right price can probably be all in with labor at less than $3500. A decent amount more than the MRC but would be a very solid rifle for sure.

If there wa
So it could be a real crapshoot gamble as to if I would be getting a good one or not. If I didn't then factory support is not there. I'd actually forgotten MRC was even a thing until I saw this rifle for sale.
I have a Model 70 in 375, but I have always wanted a 416 Rigby with the 4+1 capacity. I was thinking this might be a more economical inroad. My dream is a Heym Martini Express or a Mauser 98, but that is a distant dream. Especially in this economy.
if there was a way of making a deposit on that Heym now guaranteeing the price for 3 years I bet you would have a rifle that is worth more than what you paid for it.

It would be relatively easy to get an M70 in 416 Rem up to that configuration. You can get a Sunny Hill drop bottom for about $500 and a McMillan safari express stock for around $700 (that stock is made for the Sunny Hill bottom metal). If you can find a good donor at the right price can probably be all in with labor at less than $3500. A decent amount more than the MRC but would be a very solid rifle for sure.
If I went that route, I could spend as I go too. Buy the parts piece by piece and then have them put together.

'Have 3 of 'em (.416, .375 and 7mm.) Only the 375 is a factory gun. The others are fully custom rebarreled, accurized, etc. They are all shooters and operate flawlessly. They're not exact copies of M70 actions (M70 custom triggers can be used but some bolt innards cannot as I found out while trying to install a Tubbs pin/spring kit in the 7.) Good stuff. My take is a semi-custom, mass-produced, improved version of factory Win or 98s. You will not be disappointed. Shaw in PA has worked on a pile of 'em for custom upgrades, bbl/caliber changes, etc. These are pet handload targets for the 7 and 416. The factory 375 is with my son, but it shoots <1" using most factory ammo (oddly, factory, cheapest Rem 270 SPs are the most accurate.) Many factory 1999s sell for $2Kish, so you'll get your money out of it down the pike, if desired, but a fine custom can be made with that action within this ballpark. Good luck.

7 AI 140 NP 54 4350.jpg
IMG_20180228_233116321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If there wa

if there was a way of making a deposit on that Heym now guaranteeing the price for 3 years I bet you would have a rifle that is worth more than what you paid for it.
I know you would be right! I'd rather finance a rifle than a car at this point haha. Something about the Heym Martini Express just calls to me, as well as the 89B...

I believe Dakota would be a step up from the MRC and Granite Mtn. yet another step up, for comparison in the performance/pricing dept's.

I know you would be right! I'd rather finance a rifle than a car at this point haha. Something about the Heym Martini Express just calls to me, as well as the 89B...
imagine that! we've gotten to the point where we get more mileage and resale value out of our guns! :)

'Have 3 of 'em (.416, .375 and 7mm.) Only the 375 is a factory gun. The others are fully custom rebarreled, accurized, etc. They are all shooters and operate flawlessly. They're not exact copies of M70 actions (M70 custom triggers can be used but some bolt innards cannot as I found out while trying to install a Tubbs pin/spring kit in the 7.) Good stuff. My take is a semi-custom, mass-produced, improved version of factory Win or 98s. You will not be disappointed. Shaw in PA has worked on a pile of 'em for custom upgrades, bbl/caliber changes, etc. These are pet handload targets for the 7 and 416. The factory 375 is with my son, but it shoots <1" using most factory ammo (oddly, factory, cheapest Rem 270 SPs are the most accurate.) Many factory 1999s sell for $2Kish, so you'll get your money out of it down the pike, if desired, but a fine custom can be made with that action within this ballpark. Good luck.
That is good to hear! The same seller has a MRC 1999 PH action for sale in 416 Rigby, which was my original reason for this post. Is that Shaw of Shaw Precision Guns? Funny, I am originally from Pennsylvania! Would he do work on the MRC Rifle if it had the QC issues mentions about MRC?

I believe Dakota would be a step up from the MRC and Granite Mtn. yet another step up, for comparison in the performance/pricing dept's.
I like the Dakotas (now Parkwest Arms), but even on the used side of things they are still out of my range for a while. Buying a home soon and gas prices etc. I would very much like the order a custom gun from Parkwest, because the were really good at selling them to me at DSC. The Granite mountains are even farther away haha. What do they charge for their action alone?
I can always just do the sensible thing and wait and save, but I get excited about guns!

That is good to hear! The same seller has a MRC 1999 PH action for sale in 416 Rigby, which was my original reason for this post. Is that Shaw of Shaw Precision Guns? Funny, I am originally from Pennsylvania! Would he do work on the MRC Rifle if it had the QC issues mentions about MRC?
Yes. Yes they would. Just S. of Pittsburgh. I'm at the opp. corner of the state but my son attended UPITT and after 9 yrs, finally graduated for the big payoff (payback?), so i'd drop off/pick up stuff when in town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross