Montana 1999 Professional Hunter 505 Gibbs

I lucked upon some nosler safari as well as some old Jamison rounds (both 525 grains) and put in an order for some Norma PH 600 grain solids. I had been planning on taking the Lott to Africa with me next year but after the past couple of trips to the range, I am surprised at the accuracy and the actually manageable recoil so I may seriously consider taking the Gibbs instead. The action felt relatively smooth to me, cycling flawlessly with fast and slow cycles however the trigger did need some work so I dropped it off at my local gunsmith who is sorting that out for me now. How would I know if the rifle needed work on the magazine/bolt to cycle better?
It sounds like it feeds and functions fine. I’d just check it out with flat point solids

Also, does anyone know where I could find any 505 snap caps?
Make them. Reload some empty brass. Actually I would put something benign in them for weight. Press in bullets. Try carving a piece of hard rubber or softer plastic or something to wedge in and fill the primer hole.

Last edited:
How would I know if the rifle needed work on the magazine/bolt to cycle better?
I think it would have told you by now;)

Try the flat point solids.

However a common issue is the cartridge is so fat that the wide curvature is difficult to hold under the feed rails. Sometimes a cure is a stronger follower spring. I'm not familiar with the MRC action. But fill the magazine. If you can and would when hunting, feed another round into the chamber. Or chamber the last one. Then cycle fast and slow. As you eject a round with the magazine as full as you will get it, if the top or next round in the mag spits right out along with the cartridge you are expecting from the chamber.... you have a problem! Some CZ actions will do this, especially with those pretty shiny nickle plated rounds. Use ugly brass and they "stick" better. If you have the nickle cases and your gun feeds them, that is fantastic! I saw a hunting show where a client had this issue in Africa. The PH had him roll them in sand to scuff up the nickle plating. I've seen medium to course sandpaper used.

So test it with a full mag and empty. Fast and slow cycling, as you might in the field.

Then try all different bullets and loads you might use. Be sure they all slide and chamber properly.

If that all works satisfactory.... go find your wife or best buddy or a stranger on the street to pat you on back because you just legally stole a really fantastic rifle at a rock bottom bargain price! :)

Well done on buying the best big bore bolt gun cartridge for big game! I like to alternate between my Lott and my Gibbs depending on the situation. To be perfectly honest though there is no need to as both will do the job equally well. I do it just for the fun of it. The Gibbs is also a pleasure to reload as its big case allows for anything from RL15 to N560. I load Dzombo 600 gn to 2250 for when the work gets heavy and the same for 525 softs which gives a nice push rather than a kick!
Enjoy!

Thank you guys for the breadth of information. I cycled the rifle with the 525s but I did not think of the difference between those and the 600 grain solids. I'll definitely cycle them through tonight to see how it goes!

Also, does anyone know where I could find any 505 snap caps?
I just bought a few from Kynoch (Kynamco) in the UK. Their website spread sheet said initially they'd be around 90 GBP for the pair, but I guess that's only if you're in Europe and paying VAT because they charged me 11 GBP per dummy round. Shipping to Canada was the bigger charge, but I ordered some other things to justify it.

Nice score, You got a fantastic deal and the 505 is just a great DG round. Take it next year and have a great hunt.

Thank you guys for the breadth of information. I cycled the rifle with the 525s but I did not think of the difference between those and the 600 grain solids. I'll definitely cycle them through tonight to see how it goes!
I see you on AH now.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrmaTobias

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.