Mistakenly given 375 Ruger die set as gift

Creigh

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Forgive my ignorance, I'm a first time .375 owner.

I have a .375 H&H but was given the Hornady Ruger die set as a gift. Is this actually incorrect or do i need to go out and get the H&H version?

Thanks very much.

Welcome Creigh,

You'll need the H&H die set. The Ruger and H&H are distinct cases.

Apologies - that was a pretty lame welcome on my part.

Naturally it goes without saying that owenships of dies = a commitment to a rilfe. :LOL:

You should keep the 375 Ruger dies and get yourself a 375 Ruger rifle.

I knew joining this forum was going to cost me money. Which means I'll fit in just fine, I see.
Welcome to AH! There's no shortage of enablers around here; just mention you're thinking about a rifle/cartridge and they come out of the woodwork. Btw, now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?

Welcome to AH! There's no shortage of enablers around here; just mention you're thinking about a rifle/cartridge and they come out of the woodwork. Btw, now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?
It's worrying that I get no results from the search function for the term 'CZ 550'. Is there something I should know?

(A buddy's been offered a deal on one.)

It's worrying that I get no results from the search function for the term 'CZ 550'. Is there something I should know?

Might try CZ550 (no space). Not sure why you'd get no return, both get used regularly.

What kinda deal, in what caliber? I have several CZ550s in several different calibers.

If it's a deal then he should buy it.

They stopped producing them. That was due to the viability for the company not the end user so they are worth considering if you wants a CRF actioned rifle

now that you have a set of 375 Ruger dies, you do need a rifle to put them to use; that's just common sense. Besides, how else are you going to figure out which of the 375s you prefer?
I only have one 375. A 376 Steyr. It's a couple hundred fps behind the H&H and Ruger. No slouch for a 30-06 length case. It is a tack driver. It shoots 230gr Peregrines sub-MOA @2775fps. I've used it for Deer, Bears, Elk, and Moose and will take it with to South Africa for Plains Game.

Might try CZ550 (no space). Not sure why you'd get no return, both get used regularly.

What kinda deal, in what caliber? I have several CZ550s in several different calibers.
.375. He's kind of bummed I got the Xbolt now he wants more toys. You know how it is.

If it's a deal then he should buy it.

They stopped producing them. That was due to the viability for the company not the end user so they are worth considering if you wants a CRF actioned rifle
I think they stopped making them in 2001 if I recall. It's got a few nicks. He might just make an offer.

The dies are always saleable as well. You could post them here on AH and save yourself the listing fee on ebay or gunbroker. The H&H is a superior case design IMO (Even though I now own a .375 Ruger) its easy to load and all the power you will likely ever need. Notice I didn't say "want"! Welcome to AH!

I only have one 375. A 376 Steyr. It's a couple hundred fps behind the H&H and Ruger. No slouch for a 30-06 length case. It is a tack driver. It shoots 230gr Peregrines sub-MOA @2775fps. I've used it for Deer, Bears, Elk, and Moose and will take it with to South Africa for Plains Game.
Sounds about right.

I use Barnes 270gr. I was recommended to go 250gr for the slight advantage around 300 meters. The chance I'll need to take that shot is low.

Any opinions on crimping. 375 hand loads? Yes or no?

I'm told often it isn't necessary, I figured I have your attention I may as well ask. Surprising to me that some people don't.

Any opinions on crimping. 375 hand loads? Yes or no?

I'm told often it isn't necessary, I figured I have your attention I may as well ask. Surprising to me that some people don't.
I always put a roll crimp on mine to keep bullets from being hammered into the case by hitting the front of the magwell on recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaustoLuxt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.