Mike LaGrange's rifles

A local supplier is selling Garand barrels in 9.3x62. Don't know where they got them.

Hey , everybody. During a previous thread , l mentioned a problem animal control officer by the name of Mr. Mike LaGrange . I read his book " Ballistics in Perspective " 10 years ago . Does anybody remember what rifles he used during his Elephant Culling ?
I seem to vaguely remember he used a an M1 Garand loaded with .30-06 A Square Monolithic solids , to cull Elephant. He also voiced mixed opinions about the .458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM.
I am hoping someone here either knew him or read his book to know what his battery exactly was.
Kind regards,
Hoss Delgado :)
FN .458 A square rounds if I remember correctly

Wasn't he pretty high on the 460 A-Square Short?

Edit: Well, at least I am consistent! Turns out I replied almost 3 years ago and with the same (probably wrong) answer!! lol

The Hoss is long gone, no longer a member here.

FN .458 A square rounds if I remember correctly
You’re right. Col. Alphin loaded them using Remington cases and Hornady steel jacketed 500Gr FMJ solids (to Winchester’s original advertised velocity of 2130fps). This ammunition was only for the National Parks elephant cullers. I doubt it was ever commercially sold. A-Square always sold their 465Gr unbanded monolithic solids for the .458 Winchester Magnum to private consumers.

Wasn't he pretty high on the 460 A-Square Short?

Edit: Well, at least I am consistent! Turns out I replied almost 3 years ago and with the same (probably wrong) answer!! lol
He experimented with it but found A Square rifles to be too unreliable for serious dangerous game hunting.

Mike’s book is 40 years old and it’s still such an important read for dangerous game hunters. He was the first person to really break down the problems with the .458 Winchester Magnum (and how to remedy them) in a scientific fact based manner.

I remember reading that Mike stated that a batch of Asquare ammo (.458win) didn’t meet the factory stated velocity and showed poor penetration.

So they pulled the bullets and scavenged/sacrificed some of the rounds to increase the powder charge for the remainder of the ammunition and then the .458win rounds performed without issue.

I remember reading that Mike stated that a batch of Asquare ammo (.458win) didn’t meet the factory stated velocity and showed poor penetration.

So they pulled the bullets and scavenged/sacrificed some of the rounds to increase the powder charge for the remainder of the ammunition and then the .458win rounds performed without issue.
.470 NE and it was loaded by B.E.L.L (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited)

.470 NE and it was loaded by B.E.L.L (Brass Extrusion Laboratories Limited)
I stand corrected, page 33 of the 2nd edition…

It was the BELL loaded .470 that was deficient; and he clarified he preference for the .458win with ASquare ammo.

D7DB3073-A239-42F4-868F-707315CF12E8.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg