DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
I have been looking into finally getting a pair of range finding binoculars, as I have been thinking that they would make an excellent gear addition to an African adventure. When I first started hunting, and had next to no money, I went without binoculars. Then, I bought myself a cheap pair, which fogged, and had a terrible sight picture. Then, I upgraded to a better quality set of Bushnell 10x42's, which worked fine, and I went on my first Namibian trip with them, as well as the hunting that I participate in here at home throughout the year. What my experience in Namibia, and here in Ontario as well, has taught me is that I am a terrible judge of distance. I cannot reliably determine how far away an animal is with my naked eye, and am not fond of missing, or worse, injuring any animal on account of my shortcomings.
So, I began the process of finding something to suit my needs. I have a blue-collar job, so honestly, the big 3 (Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss) just weren't in the cards for me. I know, "Buy once, cry once", but with a mortgage still hanging around my neck, I just couldn't run with those big boys. I am still saving for my next African trip, so every single fun-dollar has to be accounted for.
I tried some Nikon's, which were OK. I tried the SIG laser range finders, but something just wasn't right (they almost felt "cheap" to me). I looked at the Vortex Fury's, but the picture was just terrible to my eyes, everything looked like it had a blue filter on it.
Then, I took a chance on the Meopta's - Meopta Meopro Optika LR 10x42 HD - to be exact. These I had shipped to me from the States, as the retailer was having a Founder's Day sale which dropped the price even more. I could have ordered them from a retailer in western Canada, but at over $800 more, I just couldn't.

20210928_161845.jpg

I wanted optical quality first and foremost, and believe I got it in these Meopta's. The image is crisp and clear to my eye.
I wanted durable - these have a magnesium body, wrapped in a sort of rubber-like armour coating. Feels good in the hands, not too heavy, 32 ounces I believe, and not too big at just over 6" tall and 5 1/2" wide.
As for the range finding feature, I think it does a good job. Two buttons, one to turn it on, the other to range. It does meters or yards, with a max of 2600 yards (2380m) according to the website. I honestly can't see myself ranging that far in the field, I don't like shooting past 300m, but now that I know how far the target is..........
It will cycle through three modes, Auto, Hunting and Golf, and will compensate for angle of elevation as well. There is no on board computer that links up to your scope, or an App like some of the high end units can. Again, I had to draw a financial line in the sand, and honestly, I don't think I would use that feature right now anyway.
I have not hunted with these binos yet, but have ranged cattle and horses out to over 1200m with no problems. I have ranged fast moving dogs at the dog park, and the unit keeps up to them quite well. The focus wheel feels really good as well, with just enough resistance to feel like it has some quality.

20210928_161902.jpg

Comes with a one piece eye cover, and really solid flip down lens covers. A neck strap was supplied, but I don't see myself using it. Instead, I'll look for a bino carrier of some kind, or maybe order another Rick Young bino harness, as I liked how it worked on my old set.
Time and use will be the real judge of these binoculars, and I really hope they stand up. I have several Meopta scopes, and really like them all so far - super glass on them. I hope to use these in Africa in the not too distant future. I am on a 4-year savings plan, so hopefully not too much longer until I return. Until then Deer, Coyote and the odd unfortunate Ground Hog will have to suffice for now. I will update later with likes/dislikes after some real field use.
Hopefully some food for thought for those looking to make a similar purchase.

Hello DmacD,

Thank you! A useful report to me! I am a Meopta optics user and think they are one of the best values for the prices there are around! I am also thinking about a rangefinder binocular but I don´t want to go to the L, S or Z either....even more, I am thinking to go to a rangefinder alone unit. In that case I would go, probably for a Leica one.

Yes, the Meopta products have impressed me so far. I wanted the binocular/range finder combo to streamline what I take in the field.

An update on some real world use of these Meopta's. I have returned from a South African hunt with Bayly Sippel Safaris - had a fantastic trip, really a great bunch of guys in their operation.
The Meopta range finders worked out really well for me, and I am pleased with the purchase. Hot sun, humidity, even a little bit of rain thrown in there, and they performed perfectly. I attached a Rick Young Bino harness to them, which I had used before, and they made for some great carry options.
While we were out hunting one day, one of the PH's asked if he could take a look through my glass. He was impressed - even went so far as to say that they were up there with his Swaro's! My other PH had left his binos in the cab of the bakkie, and needed to quickly take a look at something for me. I handed him my Meopta's, and the first thing he said was "what are these!?!" The range finder was a real help for me in determining distance. Even if I glassed from afar, then crept up on an animal, I still had a good idea of where it was positioned.

PRO's - Great glass!
- Good size, not too big or heavy
- Fast range time
- Decent price!

CON's - Ranging at anything over 1000m, I tended to get shaky without a rest and it was hard to get an accurate reading. A set of shooting sticks or a rest fixed this.
- They are not Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. They are close, but a real expert, or hard core optics
guy might find a flaw. I could see nothing wrong or lacking with my eye.

I took a chance on this unit, very glad I did. Would buy them again.

What was your farthest shot in Africa? Is it necessary to range beyond 1,000 m for hunting? 'Have never used a rangefinder there in many safaris. I could see needing them if popping all colors of springbok at 400 yds+ out in the Karoo (or Zebra in the Caprivi), but outside of that they're really not necessary. I believe Meopta makes the Cabela's HD Outfitter Series optics, which are pretty good.

It is not necessary to range past 1000m for me, but it may be for some. I never shoot past 300m, as a self imposed rule/guideline. The main reason I bought these was because I really had no real idea how little or large the African game species really were, which made it hard for me to determine a distance to them. Also, if I ranged an animal, say at 1200m, it gave me a better idea as to how far or for how long we would be sneaking up on it. I found these binos a useful tool.

RF binos 'very handy in NA for varmints, deer, sheep, goats, antelope!!! Necessary to hit those 4" wide targets way out there! Swaro's keep popping up in margin ads for $3,600USD lol

Been reading some reviews on Meopta binoculars.
Googled this thread.
Good to hear feedback from an owner who is just giving feedback on their own gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg