McMillan- Marble McWalnut Colouring

The_Wanderer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, Australian Hunting Net
Hi All,

Im contemplating re stocking a couple of rifles with Mcmillan Stocks. (Sako 75 243, Winchester m70 3006 and Winchester safari 375H&H) has any one used the Mcmillan marble Wanut finish? Or at least seen one in person?

Thanks for everyones help

TW

I would give McMillan a call. I called last week and checked with them about a stock for my model 70 375 H&H ss classic and they weren't inletting stocks for model 70s anymore! I don't believe they're making models for the Safari Express anymore!

I talked to McMillan a couple of weeks ago about a stock for my Model 70 featherweight 30-06 & 308. They were still doing them at that time? I hope they haven’t discontinued Model 70 inletting?

I would give McMillan a call. I called last week and checked with them about a stock for my model 70 375 H&H ss classic and they weren't inletting stocks for model 70s anymore! I don't believe they're making models for the Safari Express anymore!

Why on earth would they stop that?? Maybe they mean they are not doing drop-ins versus custom inlet by a gunsmith?

A gunsmith friend of mine told me that McMillan recently changed hands and that the individual who was running The Machinist side of the shop took over the entire company. It just sounded to me like the only stocks they made inletted for Winchester's anymore were the tactical stocks for the long range Hunter/Target shooter

Why on earth would they stop that?? Maybe they mean they are not doing drop-ins versus custom inlet by a gunsmith?
that was my understanding they would sell you a flat top version of the stock but no inletting on their end!

IMG_0882.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator:
If I knew how to post pics better it would be helpful. This is a McWoody I own. The company was recently bought out and the buyer is external. The stocks are very well made. If you shop some of the custom stock guys you may be able to find a non inletted one.

Last edited:
I inquired about a Mauser stock last month. My contact informed me that they are streamlining their production and as such will not be doing many of the old inlets. I’m not sure the website has been updated yet. While I understand ownership would like to get stocks out the door a little faster it seems like they are making a mistake. But there are several custom stockers who will do an inlet in a flat top. I suspect the idea is that shops with CNC mills will pick up the slack for everyone that doesn’t have a Tikka T3 or Remington clone.

The McWoody and McWalnut patterns look great to me, especially if you take a wheel buffer and some compound to them. They shine up like a fine finish on real wood. I have a stainless Winchester begging for one.

So does this mean, Winchester and Sako are out and only Tikka, Howa, remington/Rem clones will be made?

I certainly hope they will still make Winchester stocks. Or at least out source it to a good stock fitter.

Think Bob Beck from MOA rifle and Extreme Limits bought McMillan stocks

Yep, and one that ships international.

Just got off the phone with my man there. They have been bought out. They are streamlining. The McMillan family was so customer oriented that they were losing money on a lot of the inlets, yet were losing a lot of customers due to 6-8 month wait on more common inlets (I’ll interject this is why we’ve seen several composite stock makers pop up the past few years). The way it was explained to me is a separate jig for every stock design then loaded into the CNC. They were spending 30% of their labor cutting 6% of their inlets. He said they can no longer spend 6 hours setting up and inletting 1 stock. So they still offer most of the more common ones, except for Savage. They are done with those, too many variables. They will make recommendations for a gunsmith who will inlet their flat tops which they still produce. There is are no doubt going to have some unhappy campers but are doing their best to mitigate the damages. Hell, they even called me, an Alaska nobody, at 7:00 in the morning.

Their intent is to be able to innovate with new materials and designs while cutting production time down to 8 weeks or less.

Their website should be updated hopefully next week to reflect what will and will not be available. Much like anyone knows who owns a serious sales website, that process is also slow and painful.

There you have it.

I just received 2 lists in excel format that (1) contains the discontinued models and the other the flattop only. Of note to this conversation is Mauser pattern is discontinued and the Winchester patterns are not discontinued but are available in flat tops only. Now, say as an example you want a Winchester inlet in a Game Scout pattern, that is totally doable.

Or just do what I did and order a stock from another maker! I'm not going to buy a synthetic stock I have to pay a gunsmith to inlet for me! HS precision makes stocks for Winchester's, so that's what I ordered! To bad I really wanted the Winchester's Safari Express model for my 375!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois