Mauser Model 2000 7x64 Brenneke

So I took this thing to the range today and results were mixed I guess. It absolutely hated the Rem 175 gr factory load, all over the place. I had a couple of handloads from a previous project left over and tried them. 150gr Nosler Ball tips with Reloder 19. That showed much promise one load putting 4 of 5 into an inch with one out, who knows why. So I noticed some pretty inconsistent barrel bedding and in fact the action was not properly bedded either. So I relieved the bbl channel to float it and then strategically bedded the action for better support. Its odd in that the front receiver ring is round like a Rem 700, but it has a flat on the bottom about three eights wide, and so the bedding point in the stock being half round, the whole of the ring was not touching wood, making the factory bedding somewhat indifferent at best I think. Its hoped that the bbl float and bedding will make it more consistent. I have no doubt that the bbl is up to the task.

Interesting on the poor bedding. Let us know how it shoots after your work on it. I may just go ahead and have my Ruger 77RS and the MS GK 7x64 bedded. It doesn't hurt and should prevent any splitting from the thin area between the recoil lug and the magazine box on the MS. They are very thin in that area.

Ses, I got to hunt a little bit with my own 7x64mm this year, taking a few impressively sized, for that area, wild boars which can be surprisingly difficult to bring down sometimes.
(I have attached some pics in the other 7x64 thread)

I was very impressed with the gun and the cartridge but found the factory ammo I was using (140gn Sellior & Bellot) was maybe a little soft for big boars with thick fighting sheilds .

I think this cartridge has huge potential as an excellent deer and medium size game gun.

I recently tested a bunch of handloads utilizing the 140gn T.S.X which incredibly shot into 3/4" at 100 at a velocity of 3000fps from a rifle carrying a 50+ year old barrel !!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to testing this load in the field.

Best of luck with YOUR 7x64, I think it's a really neat and useful cartridge !

Paul.

Great rifle!! I have a Mauser 2000 but its cambered for 8x68S. Hunted almost all the plains game with it and more than happy with it.
Happy shooting and keen to hear what the out come of the soot is. Enjoy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvieSchref

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,