Mauser .458 WM 3 Position Safety?

Papa72

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m pondering a Winchester style safety for my custom Mauser .458 and see Gentry and Pacific Tool seem to be the big players in that market. Gentry has been out of stock for the M98 but PT&G says ready to ship. Anybody have pros or cons for either brand? This rifle will never wear an optic and the flag safety works as designed, but I’d like my .458 and .375 safeties to be configured the same. TIA!

Both are great. Dave Gentry built a couple of guns for me (a .416 Taylor and a .338 Win. Mag.) way back when the synthetic stocks and custom rifles built on them were just coming into vogue. He did really great work and the principle of precision has carried on since his passing. I have used the Gentry 3-position safety on other guns and find them to be faultless. Good luck with your project!

Don't rule out a two position safety converted from your existing bolt shroud.I have two of these and prefer them to the three position safeties.They are either off or on no in between.

I have a Gentry and I think it was worth the money

Thanks for all the input, guys. Gentry has shown out of stock for the M98 version for a couple months so I will give them a call based on the + reviews. I’m not in a huge hurry long as their resupply time is reasonable. I’m not familiar with a two position version but assume it’s about the same configuration without the need to drill the bolt for the stop pin?

GIve Jim Wisner a call and see if he has any in stock. Jim is a good guy and makes quality parts.

For my Mauser build I bought a Parkwest 3-position safety (Formerly Dakota Arms). They are a lot cheaper. Mine works but it required some work before it was right. PM me if you're interested.

It looks like New England Custom Guns has the Recknagel version of the 3 position safety in stock. Now I've only used Gentry for the safeties but I do have a recknagle trigger that's been excellent. Good luck

My question now involves potential issues with bolt disassembly between the 3 position Gentry and the 2 position Wisner? Do both cause the cocking piece to decock when the shroud is rotated?

Recknagel also make several shroud mounted safety catches. Have a look at the catalog 10 rifle sights and accessories which is online

It looks like New England Custom Guns has the Recknagel version of the 3 position safety in stock. Now I've only used Gentry for the safeties but I do have a recknagle trigger that's been excellent. Good luck

I have a Recknagel on my 9.3. It is very nice as one might expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KristineFu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.