Marketing Ideas for Hunting Outfitters?

I recommend beefing up the web-site with pricing structure and photos of lodging and "camp life." . I can't speak for everyone here, but I travel for more than just hunting and pulling the trigger. Include a link to it in your profile. When you do get a hunter via AH, do all you can to encourage them to write a detailed and well illustrated/photographed hunt report. Previous reports just like that, along with the opportunity to meet Louis Van Bergen in the US, led to my hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris.

Last edited by a moderator:
To further on what Pheonix Phil suggested, I run the TTHA circuit (Texas Trophy Hunters Association). It is very inexpensive to get a small booth. You could start off trying to make 1 of the shows. I would suggest the one in Ft.Worth. It seems to get better interest than the other two, at least for me anyway.

Brickburn and Pheonix Phil are spot on with their advice. There are several outfitters on AH that are quite new to running their own outfits and are doing well by running very good specials to get clientele and their foot in the door, then seeing that their clients were well taken care of, word of mouth is great and so are hunt reports. There is no substitute for hard work in marketing or hunting.

Jeff that was what I told loodt to do.Good specials get results and if you do what you promise only good will come from the deals.Pieter was already doing great deals at the time and I think it has paid off.

Some outfitters dont get you dont need to do a ton of shows to get business to start.The money some spend to do shows is not always the best thing.A good deal to the right guys can get a business just as much as any show can.

Many ways to market to hunters just need to think and react when the right stuff comes your way as a business.I think a good website is one of the best things going for anyone starting out.

On your website I recommend a more detailed page on the actual hunt such as pricing, etc. More pictures that are dated are a must in the gallery of animals taken, herds, etc. Also photos of the accommodations at the house. I found a spelling error on the about us page, near the bottom it says bought in but I believe its meant to say brought in. Posting on here are great and when someone gets to know an outfitter they are more likely to book with them. Posting stories about previous hunts on forums such as AH and other places will drive interest. It sounds like you want to take your parents guiding business on the side to a full time hunting outfit. Nothing spreads better than word of mouth so getting out and talking will help. If you can afford it once you have your guiding license etc taking a trip to the US and visit some conventions. Best of luck with your guiding business!

Sir as others have suggested "you need to beef up your website".
I visited the site just a few minutes and frankly it is not user friendly. Could not find prices or packages offered. More pictures of the housing and animals taken on your farm is a must. I do not wish to seem harsh but work on the web site will help you a lot......so put some time and effort into that. Then the social media will help as well.

Lots of good advice here.

My $0.02 (general, not specific to marketing)....develop objectives, goals and strategies. Then focus like a laser on them...being willing of course to adjust along the way as the market and realities dictate.

Only once you are certain about where you want to take the business (not just in a general sense, but fairly specifically) will you be able to determine which activities will really help you to achieve the goals you have set. If your strategies are not helping you meet your objectives and goals, something needs to be adjusted.

To do otherwise may find you spinning your wheels, going in circles, and wasting effort, time and money.

Easy to say, difficult to do. Discipline and focus are key! Wrap that discipline and focus in integrity and you will be successful!

One last thing; there are some very successful gents on this site. You would do well to observe them and try to emulate them. There is no shame in recognizing a good operator and trying to learn from them (without trying to BE them).

Best of luck to you!

Tim

Ruppell.............

You have 4 assets that you may be undervaluing

1. You're willing to take advice.............that places you ahead of some US Presidents
2. You found this website, which is a great ally.........don't be afraid to advertise........we love it
3. Your family has an apparently great hunting farm. Use it. Talk with dad about running one special hunt, organizing it with for AH members and using the proceeds for your own advert projects. Make a good deal for AH members and a good deal for you. Granted, you will need the coop of the old man, but it will be fun.
4. You are willing to work... as evidenced by your taking a job in Windhoek. That puts you ahead of most 22 year olds that I know.

PM me if you want some new hunters this year. I will be bringing newbies to Namibia / RSA this year.......and best of luck....................................FWB

I am so glad I found this post and I hope that I can be of help. You say that you do not have any money to work with for marketing, which certainly limits your options, but does not cripple you competitevly as much as you would think.

The first thing I would do is hire a consultant (me maybe ;)) to help strategize your business plan for the future. The absolute first thing you need to do is have a professional budget created to really help solidify your current earnings. The worst thing that you could do right now is be hemorrhaging money and not even know it.

The second thing you need to do is interact like crazy on AH.com. I really cannot think of a better marketing tool for African hunters than this website. You throw up a promotion or two and you are sure to get attention.

The third thing you need to do is update your website. Out of all of the african safari websites that I have looked at, I think that the African Sky Hunting website is by far the most accessible and appealing. Try to look at not only the content on their webpage, but also the visuals and layout. All of these are very important ot successful web marketing. It was also mentioned that Craig Boddington hunted with you. This is all you should talk about (clearly hyperbole but you know what I mean). Get his pictures and try to get a testimony from him all over your page.

The fifth thing you need to do is four walls marketing. If you do not know what this is, there are many good online resources to help. You say that a lot of your hunts are from agents of PHs who are overbooked etc. This is the perfect opportunity for you to convince them that the next time they hunt africa, it will be with you. This means brand recognition. You would be shocked to see what just a hat with a logo can do (just ask Jerome).

I hope this little bit was helpful. It was just a taste of all of the different strategies that you have available. If you want to talk more, please pm me. I am glad to be of help to any fellow hunter. This is the most advice I have ever given away for free. FYI, I will trade formal help for a free hunt:rolleyes: (just kidding...maybe).

My opinions that follow come from 20+ years in the Sales & Marketing (pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices) industry and more so from the last 5 years; I left the corporate world to work on my own assisting small businesses with their unique Sales & Marketing needs which has covered a wide range of product categories. So, take it for what its worth...

I agree with Saul in that re-evaluating the business and formulating a plan based on your strengths would be hugely beneficial. Other considerations I might suggest that may help your business are assets such as social media, applicable co-marketing agreements, updating/improving other branding modalities and as Saul suggested, endorsements. Many websites are dated, offer limited &/or inadequate information and are way too "busy" and subsequently take too long to load. People are expecting better and have less patience for sub-par websites. Many times it is the only opportunity to make that all-important "first impression".

Making the decision to set up your operation that would give you the ability to address the issues your hunters face when making the trip to/from your operation could be quite beneficial. Most Outfitters/PH brochures and websites I have reviewed (hundreds as I am planning a 2016 Elk hunt and a 2017 safari) tend to promote the same operational structure. Breaking away from the traditional way of operating a hunting operation very well may help you to get you noticed more.

Its these "Value Added Services" that can, and often do, make a person choose one business over another. An example here in the US is Enterprise Car Rental. They say "We'll pick you up!" Well, they found this makes perfect sense because if people are looking to rent a car, they probably don't have one, so how are they going to get to the rental center to get one and then get the car back???

I'm sure you have many opportunities to enhance your business' success that you may have simply overlooked. If Col. Boddington hunted there, you must have a lot to offer. Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!