Mannlicher Full Length Stock. Any Real Purpose?

Just weighed both full stock and half stock for Brno 21/22. Full stock 1lb 11oz, half stock 1lb 14 oz. ;)
I'm sure it depends on wood, thickness, etc. from one rifle to another and from make to make. In my case, weight is not the reason to not use full stock.

Just weighed both full stock and half stock for Brno 21/22. Full stock 1lb 11oz, half stock 1lb 14 oz. ;)
I'm sure it depends on wood, thickness, etc. from one rifle to another and from make to make. In my case, weight is not the reason to not use full stock.

I was thinking the same thing. A nice slim full stock on a moderate recoiling rifle could easily weigh the same or less than a regular chunky thing.

The well used full stock I just put on my 30-06 is built like a stock should be on a moderate recoiling rifle and it not only didn't gain weight but handles so much better due to its sleek construction. It points more naturally than it ever did before.

I for one dont like them, no real purpose in a modern rifle, just more wood to press against the barrel with indifference, making for potential accuracy issues.
Besides I dont like the look, never have, and of course they require shorter barrels or else anything over about 20 inches looks really ungainly in a full stock.

Very nice rifle.
Thank you.

Not a fan but to each his own. I don't care for the extra weight of more wood
My 1961 M/S MCA Stutzen weighs 8 lbs. 7.9 ozs. with scope and sling.
My 1965 M/S MCA Half stock weighs 8 lbs. 13.5 ozs. with scope and sling.

NOUbPbXl.jpg
wZ2CMw2l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the answer is...

To answer the OP original question, and the following speculations, YES, there was a specific purpose, and NO, the full length so-called "Mannlicher" stock was not designed to reduce barrel harmonics, protect the barrel from shock, protect the hand from heat, emulate military carbines, etc.

The answer is in the name itself: "Stutzen" the German word for a full length stock translates in English as "Support". The 1903 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer rifle was designed with a full length stock at the request of Archduke Franz Ferdinand Carl Ludwig Joseph Maria of Austria (the one whose assassination on 28 June 1914 in Sarajevo triggered World War One), nephew of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and heir presumptive to the Austro-Hungarian throne after the death of Crown Prince Rudolf in 1889, so that he could actually use the short barreled and full length stocked rifle as a handy climbing help when hunting Chamois (French) / Gams (German) in the Austrian Alps. His Imperial Highness apparently liked to put the short rifle stock butt on the big rocks he had to step on or step over, and use the conveniently short rifle and appropriately thick muzzle in that manner, as a walking stick to help secure his balance and/or help a big step up. All those who have hunted rough rocky steep slopes will instantly understand the concept...

If memory serves, I learned this entirely by chance eons ago, reading a non-hunting related book, the 1964 The Arms of Krupp by William Manchester. If memory further serves (?), and without pulling my 1903 out of the safe, I believe its barrel bears the inscription Krupp Stahl (Krupp steel)...

Last edited:
Ferdinand d'Este is my favorite hunter/conservationist. His castle is my favorite and houses tons of his trophies and guns. He sure had good sate in guns.

I've never over thought it.
I guess I assumed it was a traditional design or had evolved from military styles.
The Australian army used full wood .303 rifles, just the way they were designed.

Never owned one but it would be something nice to have. .

And Mauser themselves had full-stock carbines that were Type S and Type M. M stood for Mannlicher due to the spoon handle on it...LOL

That just may be why this was in the same post of mine from which you quoted... 'LOL':

It's interesting to note, however, that even as the sporting Mannlicher Schoenauer became available in the United States, there were other European stutzen offered here as well.

39801050qv.jpg

Mauser stutzen offered in 1939 Stoeger (U.S.) catalog

Last edited by a moderator:
If memory serves,... and without pulling my 1903 out of the safe, I believe its barrel bears the inscription Krupp Stahl (Krupp steel)...

Generally, the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles and stutzen of the pre WW2 period will have a 'circle T' stamp for Tiegelgusstahl, indicating a high quality steel produced in the Steyr region of Austria, as were the arms themselves.

An 'upgrade steel for barrels was Antinit which would be so marked.

MS Circle T 01.jpg

MS Ribbed Antinit 1908.jpg

1D031189-92FA-49BC-A42A-B736180BED0A.jpeg
01D4099A-1BC8-4F37-95E2-2E807E5F2231.jpeg
127D21B5-48FB-47A4-9158-4AE43E40E874.jpeg

i just added this to the stable, 7x57 built on a Pre-64 Model 70 action. I’m not crazy over a FS rifle but this one was pretty enough to take home. If it shoots well she will get a new scope and damn sure a new recoil pad. Hopefully will be my youngest sons first safari rifle.

I may actually sell it...but 1) only if
my son does not want it and 2) if I can cut my sentimental ties to it...it was in Africa with me. :)
Oooops. Sorry. Was talking about #1. #2 stays. :)

Oooops. Sorry. Was talking about #1. #2 stays. :)

Ouch.

Sentiment can, indeed, outweigh other factors.

'My' M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer, having been Grand Dad's (as everyone here is likely aware by now), is always the first thing packed when wildfire threatens and would only be sold to a proper MS collector and if I were terminally ill and felt that no relative would properly honor it.

i just added this to the stable, 7x57 built on a Pre-64 Model 70 action. I’m not crazy over a FS rifle but this one was pretty enough to take home. If it shoots well she will get a new scope and damn sure a new recoil pad. Hopefully will be my youngest sons first safari rifle.

Nice.

A symphony of 'Pre 64' U.S. and Continental style, quality. Wood seems to be very well figured.
Should we presume the white line spacer goes away, as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.