Man Bun gun for target shooting

Would you own a Man bun gun for target shooting?

• Maybe

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Probably not

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • No!

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Not a snowflakes chance in hell

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • I can't go back on all the bad mouthing of it now

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
If you do get your man bun rifle youre going to have to watch out for this guy @CBH Australia :D

1677516342571.png

I own a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 creed, it was a great deal, and I couldn't say no. It is a hunting rifle and not a paper puncher. My target rifles are two Springfield Armory M1As Super Match, that I used when I shot high-power rifle competition. Oh, and I did not switch to the AR when everyone else did. :)

I also own a 6.5x300 Weatherby :LOL: Why? Why not???

I think I would be inclined to use a 6.5-284 or a 284win.
If I could only use factory ammunition, then absolutely the man bun.
If you're going to reload for and want a 6.5, consider Bob's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen wildcat 6.5 Samurai?. Based on a 6.5-7.7 Jap case. It has more velocity than a 6.5 CR and you won't have to sport a Man Bun when shooting it on the range. Just find one of the many WW2 surplus Arisaka 99s in Illinois and have it built on that. I believe I read somewhere that Winchester was considering standardizing this cartridge and Savage chambering it in their 110? Anyway, you'd be the first in your town to own one and would make Bob proud!

Make it a take down paratrooper arisaka and we have a deal. Some pretty nice custom rifles were made on those. Scorpio’s 30-06 sniper in the movie “Dirty Harry” was an arisaka takedown.
Wow, I didn't know about the Arisaka takedown? Maybe Savage could make their newer Impulse pull bolt in a takedown? It wouldn't be an Arisaka, but it also wouldn't cost what a custom Arisaka takedown would be. Between a takedown Impulse pull bolt and another new 6.5 cartridge in the 6.5 Samurai, the Man Bun shooters would lose their minds! Savage would have backorders for years! LOL

Cheaper ammo. More ammo availability. Works well on deer.
And… when you go through range and practice for a safari you can mix in 10-20 shots of 6.5 CM to get more total practice shooting. It is much cheaper than the bigger calibers we like to hunt with.
I have purchased two 6.5 CM’s. One was for my son when he was 12. That rifle has just been given to a close friend who is getting in to hunting. (Great starter caliber!)
The 2nd is a 6.5 CM barrel for the R8. It is also for kids, range time, and maybe now for coyote hunting.
I’ve watched the 6.5 CM take animals up to Zebra. I shot 1 elk with a 6.5CM (but found it unimpressive in results)
Get one. It is now like a bigger .22LR.

Ok, so OP already has specific rifle available in LGS. So, we helped him to make decision.
Its perfectly normal to buy 6.5 CM! ;)

For those with same dilemma, and less availability of rifles, my recommended budget-factory-blue collar target rifle for beginner or recreational f-class and similar shooting would be Sabatti TLD red, or TLD white.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 8.31.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 8.31.43 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 8.31.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 8.31.53 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 48
Sabatti TLD is not perfect. Its factory gun. But shoots extremely accurate.

Of imperfections I can say: barrel too short, could/should be 32 inch. And short lenght of pull. Can be fixed by spacers.

The rest, for out of box rifle is ok.

I run a 6.5x47L for mountain hunting and target. as much as I love that gun and it's stupid accurate out to 700yrds, If I could do it over again I'd have a creedmoor. Brass is much easier to find, and same with dies and smiths with a reamer. ballistics are virtually identical. I am starting to travel to hunt internationally more often and good luck finding 6.5x47 hunting loads in a shop.

@Amphibious
You are correct!

6.5x47 was invented specifically for target shooting, and with barrel longevity in mind.
So, of course its accurate, and of course it is problematic to find hunting loads around.

There’s nothing special about the 6.5CM, but you cannot overlook the availability of components for it either.
If I were looking at a new cartridge for long range work, I’d take a hard look at the 7mmPRC. Components are scarce at the moment but if the cartridge catches on, that should change.
There’s also nothing wrong with using a 300WM or 300WSM.

for long range hunting, 300 wm, and 300 wsm ok, but due to recoil, during longer shooting strings not convenient. After I fire 10 to 15 shots of 300 wm (at range), I had enough of it.

for long range hunting, 300 wm, and 300 wsm ok, but due to recoil, during longer shooting strings not convenient. After I fire 10 to 15 shots of 300 wm (at range), I had enough of it.
Ja... I've shot a few WM rifles that were horrible to shoot. 5 shots and you're reaching for a milder recoiling cartridge like a 458 Lott (lol)
A friend of mine has a 300 WM that shoots like a .243 but it's got a 27" heavy profile barrel, chassis, muzzle break etc. etc. I reckon it weighs about 10-12kg so it's definitely not practical.

Not while they're making parts for the 6.5x55....

That said, were I to get back into long range shooting (my wallet prevented further adventures) my first look would be at the Little Manbun (or 'Bitch-knot', as I like to call it) the 6CM.

Why 6 over 6.5 you ask? Fantastic target bullet selection, better twist rates, better ballistics, less powder, less recoil, higher first-hit-rate percentage, less wind drift & is generally an all around sexy little nugget of a thing.

Next choice would be a .22CM, .22-250 or .224 Valkerie

I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor 2 years ago for a decent price as a range gun only. I like the 6.5‘s and have two 6.5 Swedes, a carbine and a 96/38. I wanted a 6.5 in a modern rifle and considered the .260 Remington, 6.5x55 and the Creedmoor. Before I bought a rifle I checked around for bullets and brass and the only brass available was the 6.5 CM. I had plenty of brass for the 6.5x55 so I looked for a rifle in 6.5x55 but the best deals on rifles were 6.5 CM So I ended up buying a Savage 110 heavy barrel in the 6.5 CM (man bun ) mainly because components were available so I could shoot it. Things have changed a little in two years and reloading components are a little more available but the 6.5 CM is still king in reloading Component and rifle availability. I walked through our big box sporting goods store yesterday and about half of the rifles were 6.5 CM and they had 6 100 count boxes of brass in 6.5 CM and a good selection of 6.5 bullets. I’ll never hunt with this rifle but I’ll have fun shooting it at some local PRS matches. I agree that the man using one gun is very effective but having several calibers gives you more options when bullets and brass are hard to find.

Man,
I needed some time to:

1. Decode the title.
2. Decode the poll options.

You must consider that not all forum members are Australians, and not all forum members are native English speaker.
For example, me. ;)

Once we established that, and under condition that I translated and decoded the question correct, then the answer is yes.
Buy Man Bun Gun!

Other considerations - recerattional and learning or competiton?
Learning long range shooting, can be done with any caliber of lower recoil.
For this reason consider also 308 win - the reason is, arguably, the longest barrel life expected.

To fine tune long range skills, and equipment, buy something in 6.5 or 7 mm range.
6.5 CM fits.

However, to get maximum out of rifle, take a look in 284 Winchester caliber. (if available around)

We are speaking of up to 1000 meters range.

Competition level.
If you get serious in competition, there is f-class sport. Here choice of caliber is much more important.

In short, in f-class, there are two disciplines.

FTR (f class target rifle), calibers allowed only 223 and 308 win, max rifle weight 8.5 kg.
FO (f class open), any caliber in range from 223 up to 8mm, max rifle weight 10 kg.

So, to compete in both classes, 308 win covers both.

To seriously compete in F open, there are more serious calibers then 6.5 CM, one being 284 Winchester.

Your 7-08 is also very good caliber for this, (F open) if it is in acceptable type of rifle, optimized for prone position, and longer shooting strings.

For beginner, 6.5 CM, and recreationally long range shooting, 6.5 is OK, (just as 308 win) under considerations of arguably shorter barrel life.

Changing the barrel after season or two, will be part of this hobby.

If you get to (or consider getting to) competition level, my personal view in two classes fopenand ftr, is following.

FTR promotes the shooter and skills, arguably
Fopen promotes better technical skills (rifle, reloading, ammo), arguably.
Thats my personal view, only.

reading the wind and mirage is essential skill for both classes, you will learn this, regardless of caliber you choose, thats fact.

How does 6.5 prc stack up in your opinion?

How does 6.5 prc stack up in your opinion?
I have never tried it.

In theoretical approach, all things being equal, (which usually they are not), if you have faster bullet of same diameter is better, and if you have faster and heavier bullet of same diameter it is more better for accuracy and doping the wind.

So, for long range shooting 6.5 prc, has potential, because its faster and can use heavier bullets with higher BC then 6.5 CM. This being achieved with higher case capacity of 6.5 prc when compared to 6.5 cm.

Having said that, it is important to note that distance matters. My educated guess is following:
If somebody will be shooting up to 600 meters, the differences between 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC will be marginal, to none. (especially with good shooter)
The real differences in performance should be visible at 1000 meters (yards).

Already had two 6.5x47 Lapua rifles when the CM came out. It really didn't take off until Hornady got smart and went with small rifle primers like the Lapua. X47, accuracy is there with reloading. Four trips to Africa with that cartridge for PG. As far as long range evidence at winning, here's Williamsport's top list for light gun (17 lbs. & under) 2022.

As I'm spending more time on the range more people are trying to sell me on the merits of the Man Bun gun.

As an off the shelf option Lithgow make the Woomera or La105 chassis rifle in 6.5creedmoor.

Now, I'd like to say I would be seen dead with one but I've always said it's designed for long distance target work. It seems there is evidence to support this. A fella who offers range instruction supports this and suggests that even in the current climate ammo and components are well supported.

I am interested learning some long range skills and will probably put a better scope on my 7mm-08 before growing my hair.
@CBH Australia
Chris the 7mm 08 may be fine but it's not as accurate as the 6.5s for some strange reason.
If'n it was me I would seriously look a Savage target rifles. A few years ago a competition shooter went to the Savage factory. They were doing a run of their new F class rifles in 6.5x284. He picked one at random off the production line. NO added gimmicks or trickery just a RANDOM factory production F class rifle.
He scoped it with a long range scope ( a sheperds I think) and went to the range. He set a new world record with that rifle and cartridge with a group of just over 4 inches at 1,000 yards.
I've never heard of an inaccurate Savage.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.