Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
US, Germany, Africa
Has anyone flown on Lufthansa to Joburg recently? Trying to find out about gun fees or hassles.

Same question, however destination Windhoek

https://www.lufthansa.com/ar/en/sports-baggage

Special regulations apply to the transportation of sporting and hunting firearms and ammunition.
Several firearms can be booked per passenger.
Check in with this baggage at least 120 minutes before departure. Register the transportation of firearms or ammunition with our Service Center at an early stage.
To the Service Center
Passengers are solely responsible for complying with the customs regulations, for the import licence as well as other required documents. This applies both to entering a country and to travelling through it.
In the case of the Lufthansa Group airlines, ammunition must be booked separately as "AMMO" in accordance with the latest IATA standard. Other airlines may not yet be using this standard and may only accept bookings without the separate "AMMO" element.

Firearms​

Each firearm must be packed in a secured and unloaded state in a locked transport container intended for this purpose. Several firearms are permitted per transport container.

Ammunition​

A maximum of 5 kg of ammunition of the 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 categories is permitted per passenger. The ammunition must be packed, separate from the firearm, in a rigid container made of wood, metal or fibreboard. This container protects the ammunition from shock, movement and accidental self-detonation. The ammunition must be packed in a lockable ammunition crate on flights to and from South Africa.

Charges​

• Domestic: EUR 70
  • Europe: EUR 80
  • Middle East, North Africa and central Asia: EUR 100
  • Medium intercontinental routes: EUR 200
  • Long intercontinental routes: EUR 250
Based on local security measures, an additional airport fee for firearms will always be charged for departures in South Africa (USD 80), Italy (up to EUR 90, depending on the airport), Spain (EUR 60), Turkey (EUR 30), Zurich (CHF 55), Cyprus (EUR 25) and Geneva (CHF 200 or CHF 250 earlier than two hours before departure).
The transportation of firearms to and from London Heathrow (LHR), Aberdeen (ABZ), Edinburgh (EDI), Inverness (INV) and Glasgow (GLA) is forbidden. Please choose another airport in London or Great Britain if you want to take your licensed sporting or hunting firearms with you.

Information about carriage​

• Only sporting and hunting firearms, handguns and rifles plus securely boxed ammunition (cartridges for firearms) belonging to Hazard Division 1.4S.
  • Checked baggage: Yes (NB: separate reservations required for the weapon and the ammunition)
  • Carry-on baggage: No
  • On your person: No
  • Carrier’s approval required: Yes (This permission is not given in writing. It is given upon request and confirmed verbally at the Service Centre or, at the latest, when checking in at the airport.)
  • Weapons and ammunition must be packed in different bags in accordance with IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. If necessary, a special luggage box must be used to separate both items from each other.
  • Weapons must be unloaded.
  • Ammunition carried in passenger aircraft must be for personal use for sporting and/or hunting purposes only.
  • Only ammunition classified as 1.4S, UN0012 or UN0014 will be accepted.
  • Each passenger may carry a maximum of 5 kg gross of ammunition (must be weighed) for their own personal use.
  • Ammunition must be securely packaged, i.e. in standard commercial packaging.

Prohibited​

• Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles.
  • Black powder may not be transported under any circumstances.
Please note, however, that it is not possible to book the Lufthansa Express Bus.

Same question, however destination Windhoek
If you are going through Frankfurt, the Windhoek leg (like 11 hours) is actually EuroWings (or at least was a year ago). It’s like Lufhansa’s budget carrier. Seats are packed in there tighter than any other airline I’ve been on, and I was in the slot above economy. Just something to be aware of… it wouldn’t keep me from flying it again but good to be prepared.

What is your exact itinerary?

@Cam300 does Eurowings carry guns? I've not heard a report that I can recall of a Hunter taking them.

What is your exact itinerary?

@Cam300 does Eurowings carry guns? I've not heard a report that I can recall of a Hunter taking them.
This was during the JNB fuel shortage so I had to change all travel plans the day before the trip. Originally was booked on United thru Johannesburg and had all firearm paperwork ready to roll. With having to change through Frankfurt at the last minute I decided not to take a rifle and just used outfitters (it was plains game only in Namibia). So, to answer your question, I’m not sure!

https://www.lufthansa.com/ar/en/sports-baggage

Special regulations apply to the transportation of sporting and hunting firearms and ammunition.
Several firearms can be booked per passenger.
Check in with this baggage at least 120 minutes before departure. Register the transportation of firearms or ammunition with our Service Center at an early stage.
To the Service Center
Passengers are solely responsible for complying with the customs regulations, for the import licence as well as other required documents. This applies both to entering a country and to travelling through it.
In the case of the Lufthansa Group airlines, ammunition must be booked separately as "AMMO" in accordance with the latest IATA standard. Other airlines may not yet be using this standard and may only accept bookings without the separate "AMMO" element.

Firearms​

Each firearm must be packed in a secured and unloaded state in a locked transport container intended for this purpose. Several firearms are permitted per transport container.

Ammunition​

A maximum of 5 kg of ammunition of the 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 categories is permitted per passenger. The ammunition must be packed, separate from the firearm, in a rigid container made of wood, metal or fibreboard. This container protects the ammunition from shock, movement and accidental self-detonation. The ammunition must be packed in a lockable ammunition crate on flights to and from South Africa.

Charges​

• Domestic: EUR 70
  • Europe: EUR 80
  • Middle East, North Africa and central Asia: EUR 100
  • Medium intercontinental routes: EUR 200
  • Long intercontinental routes: EUR 250
Based on local security measures, an additional airport fee for firearms will always be charged for departures in South Africa (USD 80), Italy (up to EUR 90, depending on the airport), Spain (EUR 60), Turkey (EUR 30), Zurich (CHF 55), Cyprus (EUR 25) and Geneva (CHF 200 or CHF 250 earlier than two hours before departure).
The transportation of firearms to and from London Heathrow (LHR), Aberdeen (ABZ), Edinburgh (EDI), Inverness (INV) and Glasgow (GLA) is forbidden. Please choose another airport in London or Great Britain if you want to take your licensed sporting or hunting firearms with you.

Information about carriage​

• Only sporting and hunting firearms, handguns and rifles plus securely boxed ammunition (cartridges for firearms) belonging to Hazard Division 1.4S.
  • Checked baggage: Yes (NB: separate reservations required for the weapon and the ammunition)
  • Carry-on baggage: No
  • On your person: No
  • Carrier’s approval required: Yes (This permission is not given in writing. It is given upon request and confirmed verbally at the Service Centre or, at the latest, when checking in at the airport.)
  • Weapons and ammunition must be packed in different bags in accordance with IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations. If necessary, a special luggage box must be used to separate both items from each other.
  • Weapons must be unloaded.
  • Ammunition carried in passenger aircraft must be for personal use for sporting and/or hunting purposes only.
  • Only ammunition classified as 1.4S, UN0012 or UN0014 will be accepted.
  • Each passenger may carry a maximum of 5 kg gross of ammunition (must be weighed) for their own personal use.
  • Ammunition must be securely packaged, i.e. in standard commercial packaging.

Prohibited​

• Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles.
  • Black powder may not be transported under any circumstances.
Please note, however, that it is not possible to book the Lufthansa Express Bus.
Quoting from above: "Carrier’s approval required: Yes (This permission is not given in writing. It is given upon request and confirmed verbally at the Service Centre or, at the latest, when checking in at the airport.)"

This would really concern me. Sounds like a "green" agent has his or her own power to bar carriage on their own whim. If that can hppen . . . it sooner or later will . .

Ammunition​

So how does a Pelican 1200 Case fit those requirements?

I don't remember the prices exactly, but there were no problems.
If you fly with Lufthansa and weapon transporting, I strongly recommend that you do not book the flight yourself, but through a Lufthansa office.
I even have a gentleman there who knows about weapons.
I had to fly to Zimbabwe via Joburg in November with three lines and was treated like a VIP.
That's how I felt.
This service (€ 150.-) does not play a role in the total costs.
If you wish, I will gladly give you the contact person.
He speaks English perfectly

Nearby for Eurowings flights.
Get an Eurowings creditcard,(one year for free) und your gun is also for free when you pay the ticket with(sporting luggage).And after your jouney you cancel the card.
So it was in 2022.
Foxi

Last edited:
We are flying with them in May. I just filled out the permit application last night. It was pretty easy. I have not been charged any fees other than the 23 euros for the transit permit

I’ve flown with Lufthansa several times around Europe. In addition to the cost of a flight ticket the extra €80 on each flight starts increasing costs.
However ! Careful perusal of the Lufthansa website led me to discover that if your firearm fits inside your suitcase, or your Peli 3100 , it travels free.
you do have to contact the Lufthansa call centre to book your firearm in. There is no rocking up at the airport and hoping.
Will this work for Africa ? I don’t know, however if someone is flying with Lufthansa it’s definitely worth checking out as it €200 each way at least !

Ammunition​

So how does a Pelican 1200 Case fit those requirements?
When we go driven boar hunting in Europe, be it Poland,Hungary, Romania, wherever, some of the guys bring their Peli 1200’s, other have a metal cash box or suchlike. There’s never been a problem.
BTW, although I argued it a couple of times at checkin regard the 5kgs of ammunition as a gross weight to include the container.

When we go driven boar hunting in Europe, be it Poland,Hungary, Romania, wherever, some of the guys bring their Peli 1200’s, other have a metal cash box or suchlike. There’s never been a problem.
BTW, although I argued it a couple of times at checkin regard the 5kgs of ammunition as a gross weight to include the container.
Yea, I have used the Pelican 1200 twice now and never had them say anything. I just found it strange that the official regulation does not say "Plastic". It says Metal, Wood and FIberboard. These days hardened plastic cases like the Pelican case are the norm.

And yes, from what I can tell that 11KG is supposed to be the weight of the ammo only but because I don't want to get in a dispute I just make sure the whole case and ammo stays under 11KG. But that limits me to 80 rounds (4 boxes of ammo). On a PG only hunt that is more than enough. Two rifles for a DG/PG hunt...I would like to bring 100 rounds but that puts me over the 11kg if the wgt of the box is included.

To those of you have done this, if my rifle case dimensions come in under the standard checked baggage limits and I call Lufthansa directly, there’s a chance I will not be charged extra? My plan is to separate the action/ stock and drop in a 38” travel case. Thoughts? I leave for Namibia May 1 and travel through Frankfurt. I have already done the permit application

To those of you have done this, if my rifle case dimensions come in under the standard checked baggage limits and I call Lufthansa directly, there’s a chance I will not be charged extra? My plan is to separate the action/ stock and drop in a 38” travel case. Thoughts? I leave for Namibia May 1 and travel through Frankfurt. I have already done the permit application
It works ! The overall dimension, LxWxH must not exceed 158cm, not sure about inches.
Anyway myself and 3 guys travelling from Toronto via Frankfurt to Windhoek May 5th seem good to go under those conditions.

Well that sounds promising. I believe it’s 62” overall measurement for standard baggage, and of course under whatever the weight limit is. My 38” case comes in at 59” total measurement

@NTX Permit application ? Is this for transiting Frankfurt ? As a European Firearms Pass holder I’m good to go. However I’m just wondering if my Canadian buddies will need to apply for one of these.
Do you have a link ?

@NTX Permit application ? Is this for transiting Frankfurt ? As a European Firearms Pass holder I’m good to go. However I’m just wondering if my Canadian buddies will need to apply for one of these.
Do you have a link ?
Yes, Frankfurt now requires a temporary import permit even for layovers where your bag is checked through to the final destination.

Eurowing just defers to Lufthansa regulations for firearms
I would double check that. Most low cost carriers do not want to incur the expense of the license to carry firearms. There is a reason the vast majority of traveling hunters wind up on the same few airlines.
If they do carry guns with no issues it is good news for all involved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you