Looking For Some Discontinued Items

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Good afternoon ,
I am looking to purchase two of the following items :
1 ) Speer African Grand Slam 500 grain tungsten cored .458 calibre Full Metal Jacket solid bullets
2 ) Eley Alphamax 12 bore 2 3/4 inch LG shells ( plastic hull )

I understand that they are both discontinued , but occasionally people have these things stockpiled and are willing to sell them . If anyone possesses either of these items and is willing to sell them , then please let me know . If anyone knows where they can be found , please let me know . I am willing to pay the shipping costs to have them brought over to Hill Country , Texas ( where I have a second home ) .

With very best wishes ,

Professor Anayeth Mawla

Close but no cigar- I checked some older shells and they are Eley Alphamax, but they are 16 ga. Oh well, I tried.

Professor: FMJ bullets aren't Solid. ;) Thus, the jacket(ed lead or other heavy metal alloy). You've been schooled! :p Only my Mom is a Professor. All good humor in hunting! You'll find what you're looking for...If not, 'had an old .458 Win, and the best, shortest FMJ bullets (Woodleigh) which allowed for maximum powder charge and resultant velocity (tough to achieve in the short, .458 WM) are still available online....Good luck.

Professor: FMJ bullets aren't Solid. ;) Thus, the jacket(ed lead or other heavy metal alloy). You've been schooled! :p Only my Mom is a Professor. All good humor in hunting! You'll find what you're looking for...If not, 'had an old .458 Win, and the best, shortest FMJ bullets (Woodleigh) which allowed for maximum powder charge and resultant velocity (tough to achieve in the short, .458 WM) are still available online....Good luck.

Sorry to bust your BUBLE. Speer indeed made some Tunston core SOLIDS In early days. They were the solids by Gold standard.

Some pictures of it for you.
1600028531050426846834050167589.jpg

Sorry to bust your BUBLE. Speer indeed made some Tunston core SOLIDS In early days. They were the solids by Gold standard.
IF a bullet has a jacket filled with a metal, it's FMJ. If a bullet is constructed entirely of one metal, it's a Solid. PHs refer to both as solids (as it reduces confusion in the field..."Do you have a solid or soft in the chamber?") but there's a difference. How can a solid be 2 pieces of entirely different metal? Think about it. LOL :p Prof said FMJ Solid.

Last edited:

@C.W. Richter
I apologize for any miscommunication on my part . As a young man growing up hunting in the 1970s , I always knew that “ Solids “ referred to Full Metal Jacket bullets . It was in 1984 when A Square introduced the first homogeneous bullets made from naval bronze , that “ Solids “ came to strictly define homogeneous bullets .

I will be more careful to use the appropriate terminology from now on , by just saying “ Full Metal Jacket “ .

@C.W. Richter
I apologize for any miscommunication on my part . As a young man growing up hunting in the 1970s , I always knew that “ Solids “ referred to Full Metal Jacket bullets . It was in 1984 when A Square introduced the first homogeneous bullets made from naval bronze , that “ Solids “ came to strictly define homogeneous bullets .

I will be more careful to use the appropriate terminology from now on , by just saying “ Full Metal Jacket “ .
I was merely just kidding around, but most professional hunters refer to all such bullets (FMJ, solids) as "Solids" and I'm certain that's what you meant. Even Speer called them Solids on the box (but I'd like to see a diagram!) I was going to mention trying to hunt down some A-Sq bullets as they are fantastic...Still have some lion loads (fragment easily softs,) dead tough (thick jacketed soft), and solids as you mention-but in .338. Those who have those bullets for you will surely know what you mean! Good luck. Many friends in the H.C.

As soon as you mentioned .458 I was guessing you were trying to find the shortest solids possible (thinking powder capacity limitations of the Win Mag)...can get decent velocity with the shortest, most dense bullets such as that you mention. I had trouble exceeding 2,190 fps using 500 gr bullets, though my son dropped a nice buffalo at 20 paces with it. I have since switched up to the .416 Chatfield-Taylor (2,450 fps/400 gr) which works wonders using swift a-frames and barnes brass solids. Good luck!!

I was merely just kidding around, but most professional hunters refer to all such bullets (FMJ, solids) as "Solids" and I'm certain that's what you meant. Even Speer called them Solids on the box (but I'd like to see a diagram!) I was going to mention trying to hunt down some A-Sq bullets as they are fantastic...Still have some lion loads (fragment easily softs,) dead tough (thick jacketed soft), and solids as you mention-but in .338. Those who have those bullets for you will surely know what you mean! Good luck. Many friends in the H.C.
@C.W. Richter
Thank you very much . I know that monolithic solid bullets are the more modern and superior concept . However , I generally feel more comfortable with the traditional steel jacketed lead cored bullet . I use 500 grain Hornady DGS meplat nosed copper clad steel jacketed solids in my .458 Winchester Magnum .
EC06636D-EFA6-438B-82D4-70C09F6F61E7.jpeg
EAE076AD-DBDF-48E7-8C48-33FDBFDBC98B.jpeg

Very efficient on Gaur and our rogue Asiatic jungle elephant . Also extremely effective on our local barking deer ( when I do not want to cause any excessive meat damage ) .

As soon as you mentioned .458 I was guessing you were trying to find the shortest solids possible (thinking powder capacity limitations of the Win Mag)...can get decent velocity with the shortest, most dense bullets such as that you mention. I had trouble exceeding 2,190 fps using 500 gr bullets, though my son dropped a nice buffalo at 20 paces with it. I have since switched up to the .416 Chatfield-Taylor (2,450 fps/400 gr) which works wonders using swift a-frames and barnes brass solids. Good luck!!

@C.W. Richter
Initially , I used to have similar problems when hand loading rounds for my .458 Winchester Magnum . However by 1978 , I was later able to achieve a velocity of 2100 feet per second by using 500 grain old stock Hornady round nosed steel jacketed bullets and IMR3031 gunpowder .

I also use a duplex load , by using 60 grains of Somchem S335 gunpowder topped with 10 grains of Somchem S265 gunpowder . Very potent .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg