Looking for Pheasant Guides

Greffdog

AH senior member
Joined
Apr 14, 2023
Messages
89
Reaction score
174
Location
Texas/Wyoming
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Wyoming, Montana, Texas, Zimbabwe
Looking for recommendations on guided pheasant hunts in Nebraska or South Dakota. North Dakota would also be considered but a few guys may be driving from CO so prefer something easier for them.

Aiming for budget friendly options as some of the group has never hunted. Based on budget and new hunters, my thought would be December options to avoid crowds and peak season prices.

Appreciate anyone’s input!
 
I hunt pheasants in Montana every fall for ~6 weeks, usually starting around 20 October. Season usually opens the first weekend of Oct. By the twentieth most of the early season crazies are gone. Also, it's usually (not always!) cold enough to keep the rattlers asleep. I often stay through the first week or two of December. Once the snow flies wild roosters get very jumpy, no doubt because they're easier for raptors to see. Also, the weather can be brutal. Look at my avatar photo. That was first week of December and just below zero F. I had just shot my one and only lifetime triple. Had given up because too cold and birds too spooky. While walking back to the truck my Lab went on point ten yards away. She held them long enough for me to get my hands out of my pants pockets and A5 unslung. Fortunately, all five were roosters and cackling. Didn't have to worry about shooting a hen. And I also had an empty bag so I could shoot three. Bagging a triple of wild pheasants is a rare thing indeed. Farm raised birds often need to be kicked in the air so a triple on them is not as rare.

The next year a storm blew in the weekend before Thanksgiving that left drifts more than twenty feet deep. And I've seen that happen more than once. Even though you plan to hunt south of my stomping grounds (I'm typically less than 100 miles from Canadian border), I would still advise going the week before Thanksgiving if you can swing it. Ideally you want to be there after the opening week lunacy, late enough so you don't get caught in a rainstorm (the mud on the prairies can be brutal), and before the deep freeze sets in. Snakes can be a concern if you have dogs that aren't conditioned for them. A good outfitter should have dogs that are educated. After October even if you see one, it likely will be sluggish and not aggressive. Personally I'm not concerned but I did have a dog get bit once in November. Very freaky. Luckily prairie rattlers are not the most venomous and Pearl recovered ... in time to tear herself up on a fence getting our last bird for the season. Twenty stitches on Thanksgiving weekend.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,133
Members
169,496
Latest member
SimonPoe43
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top