Looking for my first "affordable" double in 2023, which to consider

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm new to the site and have recently developed the itch for buying a big bore double rifle and eventually getting some safaris under my belt.

As a working man I aspire to own a big bore double rifle that won't cost more than my mortgage. That means none of the bespoke British makes unfortunately.

From what I have gathered the Germans produce the best examples that strike the right balance between durability, craftsmanship and affordability.

I've narrowed down my search to Merkel vs Heym vs Kriegoff vs Blaser. What are the pros and cons of each make?

As far as cartridges go I'm looking at one of the larger 40s, It sounds like 470 NE may just be the sweet spot?

I'm in Canada for those that may be referencing prices.

Cheers,

Im in the same boat as you. Handled the Merkel and Chapuis at SCI. I was surprised at my preference after handling both. I suggest you handle each one before you purchase.
Yeah I feel like with a purchase of this magnitude, handling each example in person is the way to go. Unfortunately the shops that seem to carry the most double rifles in Canada are about 3000km away.

What did you think of the Merkel? It's the most affordable of the German makes (I believe).

I liked the Merkel the best. It is thinner through the stock wrist and seemed to fit me better. Both the Chapuis and Merkel would work for me and I’d probably never have any issue with either.

I will say that there are several members who have the Merkel as well as Chapuis. I’ve personally spoken to owners of both and both seem to be happy. If you lived in the US and purchased through Champlin, the warranty would be the deciding factor for me.

I would highly recommend using the seach function as there has been several threads comparing the various makers. As well as firsthand reports from buyers of Chapius ect ect.

Hope you get your double sooner than you expected.

Chapuis is definitely my vote, though as we all know, Heym, Kreighoff, Merkel, Verney are all great choices.

Heym is a cut above, as the advertising says 'a proper British double made in Germany'. I have the 89b in 450/400, perfect in every way and definitely enough horse power without beating you to death. As others have said, handle one and you will be sold.

My number one preference is the Heym, but remember there is basically two different, but similar Heyms 88b & 89b. The down side a new one may be a long wait, unless you can find a like new 88b. There are quit a few on the pre-owned market in .450-.400 and like Kevin said it is really a very enjoyable caliber to shoot. I have had no experience with the Chapuis, but I hear a lot of good things about it.

Lon

I guess I'm the resident Chapuis cheerleader on AH (and Kevin Peacocke is the Heym cheerleader). Bought mine second hand and love it. It's been to Africa with me 4 times and I've shot everything from warthog to buffalo with it. No issues. It's a great rifle. If you check out Champlinarms.com you will see what George and JJ say about Chapuis. They say it's the best value for the money in a double.
The Chapuis Iphisi model is their "entry" level double and I handled one at the Beretta Gallery in Dallas at the preview showing a couple of months ago. I think it's offered only in 375H&H (mine is also 375H&H). and it is very similar to my Brousse model. I think it retails at about $10,000 and should be available through a Beretta dealer in Canada.

I guess I'm the resident Chapuis cheerleader on AH (and Kevin Peacocke is the Heym cheerleader). Bought mine second hand and love it. It's been to Africa with me 4 times and I've shot everything from warthog to buffalo with it. No issues. It's a great rifle. If you check out Champlinarms.com you will see what George and JJ say about Chapuis. They say it's the best value for the money in a double.
The Chapuis Iphisi model is their "entry" level double and I handled one at the Beretta Gallery in Dallas at the preview showing a couple of months ago. I think it's offered only in 375H&H (mine is also 375H&H). and it is very similar to my Brousse model. I think it retails at about $10,000 and should be available through a Beretta dealer in Canada.
I think the Iphisi at that price point is poised to set the double world on fire. It is an ideal offering for young PH's who can use it for their proficiency as well as DG ticket. No reason why it shouldn't go on in their careers too. I am very keen to get to grips with one, but the South African 'agent', Kalahari arms doesn't have the manners to reply.

So to the Chapuis cheerleaders, I see that the LOP is on the long side, at least for me. I shoot a lot of sxs shotguns and prefer about 14 5/8 LOP. Have any of you shortened the LOP and if so, how did it affect the regulation?

So to the Chapuis cheerleaders, I see that the LOP is on the long side, at least for me. I shoot a lot of sxs shotguns and prefer about 14 5/8 LOP. Have any of you shortened the LOP and if so, how did it affect the regulation?
I had no issues with LOP on my Chapuis.

LOP on my Chapuis Brousse is sitting right at 38cm from memory which is just under 15". 14.5" LOP is about perfect for me, having said that I don't think I am going to have mine changed, at 15" I feel like I reach for the front trigger a little bit but it is not uncomfortable by any means and now I have spent some time on the range with it, I don't notice it anymore.

It seems quite difficult to find 2023 prices for new stock. What are the following retailing for new?

1. Heym 89b
2. Heym 88b (any new left in stock, if not lightly used).
3. Merkel 140a
4. Kriegoff 5 Five

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg