Looking For .375 H&H

Renier#82

Reaction score
Member of
Sa hunters
Hunted
South africa
Hi guys. I am looking for a .375 H&H in South Africa. Preferably a CZ 550 Safari, if not to specific.
But open to options.

Thnx

Good luck on your quest.

@Renier#82 Try Humansdorp Co Op, Skietwinkel in Bloemfontein or Classic Arms in Witbank, I'm sure any of those can help you. Lots of rifles for sale, both new and used.
Winchester M70 is also an option if you want to go for Controlled Feed Action.
CZ550 for about R23000 and M70 Safari for R29000, give or take a 1000 or so for a new.
A used one would be less with the supply of rifles at this stage.

Good luck with your search and your career choice.

//Gus

@Renier#82 Try Humansdorp Co Op, Skietwinkel in Bloemfontein or Classic Arms in Witbank, I'm sure any of those can help you. Lots of rifles for sale, both new and used.
Winchester M70 is also an option if you want to go for Controlled Feed Action.
CZ550 for about R23000 and M70 Safari for R29000, give or take a 1000 or so for a new.
A used one would be less with the supply of rifles at this stage.

Good luck with your search and your career choice.

//Gus

Thanks for advise. Found the 550 Safari at Safari outdoor for R20800 brand new. But was looking for a second hand one. Nothing at the co-op in Humansdorp. They are bringing in the Zastava rifles at a good price. But Im not to familiar with the make. As my 30-06 is a 550 and I love the rifle alot

The Zastava rifles are good if not as refined as others. Total 98 Mauser design though, controlled round feed. I have two, one bored out to .35 Whelen and a .375 Hollands that I bought in 1984 and took on my first three safaris and has always been reliable. The actions are made in Yugoslavia and probably the complete rifle now too, whereas years ago, as with my Whitworth, the rifle was assembled in Britain. You would probably be more comfortable with another CZ though since your '06 is.

Aren't CZ and Zastava rifles one and the same? Or are the like Sako and Tikka? I know you are looking for a 374 H&H but was just wondering if a 404 Jeffery from Gert Odendall's gunsmith friend would "float your boat." He mentioned something about $1,900 U.S. about a month ago. I have a feeling it is probably finished off better than a "stock" i.e. production model CZ.

No, they are not. CZ/BRNO rifles are Czech made and the Zastava guns are Yugo made. The confusion comes from both having an abbreviation of CZ, but they are not the same maker.

winchester Mod 70 if you want a great out of the box rifle , or CZ550 but they require work to get them up to standard , afterwards they are also great rifles.

Zastava are excellent rifles made in Serbia ....and good value too a mauser for a fraction of the cost

winchester Mod 70 if you want a great out of the box rifle , or CZ550 but they require work to get them up to standard , afterwards they are also great rifles.
What sort of work? I just picked up a new CZ550 Safari, in .375 H and H. Planning on a buff hunt next year... Thanks in advance.

What sort of work? I just picked up a new CZ550 Safari, in .375 H and H. Planning on a buff hunt next year... Thanks in advance.

Of course this reply is my opinion:

I find the 25" barrel to long , mine are cut to 23"
I polish my action and lighten the trigger pull
I also bed the action
These are the main changes that I have made , whilst my Mod 70 has just had the trigger lightened .

The CZ 550 is a great rifle , I personally just prefer to tweak them .

Of course this reply is my opinion:

I find the 25" barrel to long , mine are cut to 23"
I polish my action and lighten the trigger pull
I also bed the action
These are the main changes that I have made , whilst my Mod 70 has just had the trigger lightened .

The CZ 550 is a great rifle , I personally just prefer to tweak them .
Thanks. Good tweaks... I was also thinking of floating the barrel. Did not know the action was not bedded. I pick up the scope tomorrow I ordered for this rifle (Leopold VX5 2-10 with illuminated reticle etc.) and once I get it mounted I can see where I am at with accuracy. But bedding will go to the top of the list, and if I am getting that done, I'll get the action tweaked and the trigger pull lightened.

Last edited:
Zastava is good rifle for the money. Honestly if you can save a lot of money buy used, go ahead and buy one. I doubt you will be disappointed.

There is a good possibility I'll be putting my Zastava/Whitworth up for sale very soon. I just need to step up the pressure on the Guy who has the rifle I want

I just need to step up the pressure on the Guy who has the rifle I want
Get him on here...we'll work him over good!!

:)

The Perfect Caliber for Shooting Mosquitos here in Minnesota

Just don't let Charlie Austin talk you into using Hornady bullets on those 'sota skeeters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois