Loading dies for 375 flanged

norfolk shooter

AH legend
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
2,124
Reaction score
3,533
Location
Norfolk, UK
Media
22
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo, Eastern Cape
I just wondered if you could just use the regular 375 H&H mag dies on the flanged? Also for the pressure would it be wise to start 5% below the recommended start load??
 
You have summed up my understanding with two questions. Yes.
 
I own both of these guns, flanged in a double rifle and bolt gun for the H&H version. I have hunted both in Africa and elsewhere, I also reload both of these rounds. Along the way I have learned to never tell others what to do with their money, guns or wives. So do as you see fit with your guns.

Please note however that these are in fact two different cartridges released by Holland & Holland in 1912. The shoulders are different, 12 degree and 15 degree Flanged to Belted respectively, the shoulders are located in different positions on each case, the OAL is different, and the belted is generally a little more potent, 100 fps, over the flanged. I personnally would never try to load either case with anything other than the exact reloading equipment for that individual case. Notwithstanding the obvious concern I would have for safety, the possibility of a fouled cartridge in the rifle is simply to high. Additionally, double rifles are regulated to shoot a specific load, if you alter the load you will most likely change your impact point on your target, which while a lot of fun to shoot through, it can be a bit tricky to work up a handload that regulates well in your rifle.

Reloading dies are readily obtainable for either of these cartridges from RCBS amoung others. Subsequently, I would not personnally risk damage or injury trying to interchange one for the other.

Good hunting...
 
I have been offered a Verney Carron O/U double in 375 flanged. I think this is the modern variant that generates around 3400ftlbs, and here we need to get to 4000ft ibs. Is it possible to re- chamber this rifle to take the 375 H&H flanged?
 
Thanks 375FLM. From everything i have read recently, including Kevin Robertson’s recommendations, the 375 flanged at 2400 fps in 300 grain format is pretty ideal for everything up to and including buffalo. I am going to stick with that in my new Verney Carron and spend my energy mastering this beautiful O/U double. I have had to save for this thing, so now to savour it and have many memorable hunts.
 
Thanks 375FLM. From everything i have read recently, including Kevin Robertson’s recommendations, the 375 flanged at 2400 fps in 300 grain format is pretty ideal for everything up to and including buffalo. I am going to stick with that in my new Verney Carron and spend my energy mastering this beautiful O/U double. I have had to save for this thing, so now to savour it and have many memorable hunts.

Hope you will share a picture of your new rifle.
 
71DA2CA2-ADF5-4CE5-910F-EB721553ACF8.jpeg
28E00705-2F7E-4D2F-B4CD-60DCCB02F7A1.jpeg
Here it is!
 
I bought a set of RCBS 375 H&H Belted Mag dies off a bloke who had been using them for years to reload for a 375 H&H Flanged Mag double rifle he used to own. He said they worked perfectly for either round.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,337
Messages
1,573,264
Members
169,730
Latest member
loylisadre1982
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top