Light Doubles

My favourite rifle is my 9.3x74 Chapuis RGEX, fits me perfect and is a joy to shoot. My eland and sable fell to my 9.3 double. If it is what I had in my hand on a plains game safari and africa provided a target of opportunity buffalo I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Would also use it on the cats. It is at the very bottom end of the DG spectrum (Mine load that gives the best 4 shot soft/solid combo is a 300gr A-frame and 286gr Swift break away solid at 2385fps)
The most important thing with the light end of the DG rifles is the shot placement. THAT FIRST SHOT HAS TO BE in the vitals. or your day and the PH/Trackers is about to be ugly.

If you are going to hunt DG with the light double (9.3 and 375) you must be a very competent rifleman/riflewoman that is very calm under pressure and also have your PH's concurrence on your rifle choice so they the PH is prepared in case you screw up the first shot.

If it was a Buffalo or bigger specfic DG hunt I would bring a bigger double 450/400 or bigger.
I agree with you AZDAVE.
 
glad i am not the photographer.
the guy must be an innocent.
bruce.
Care to elaborate? The photographer was my son. He took his bull from the same herd.
 
those muzzles are pointing horribly close.
bruce.
The PH is behind me. I cleared my double and he cleared his chamber before we entered the slough. I do not carry a rifle in that manner unless wading (note the sling). Any other observations?
 
Looks like a good place for a bunch of leaches or a crocodile.
 
The PH is behind me. I cleared my double and he cleared his chamber before we entered the slough. I do not carry a rifle in that manner unless wading (note the sling). Any other observations?
well done.
nice hat.
bruce.
 
It looks like the Zambezi delta in Mozambique to me, perhaps coutada 10? I recall it varying from almost sure footing, to a chest high mire, in about one and a half paces. Smart to keep your rifle and ammo belt high. It was a tough hunt and a great adventure, often not being able to see much past the end of your barrel due to papyrus, and spoting herds by looking for the oxpeckers and egrets.

I was there about twenty years ago, when I was thirty, give or take, with my Dad. It’s a challenging hunt at any age, and no easier the older one gets. My Dad has since passed, but some of my fondest memories are hunting with him in Mozambique. Going hunting with your son in Mozambique? Well done indeed! I hope your son recalls your adventure as fondly as I do mine.

The only thing I’d do differently if I had it to do over? I’d bring a light double! Although the 416 worked pretty well... I can’t even remember all the ways I carried it to keep it dry.
 
Coutada 14 in this case, but exactly the same terrain. An acre or two of golf fairway followed by 50 - 100 meters of swamp and then the next fairway. Spot the birds working the herd at first light from a tree overlooking the vast marsh, take a bearing, and head out. For me, it is the most challenging and demanding buffalo hunt in Africa.

Hunting Buffalo in the Zambezi Delta
Coutada 14 Buffalo

Zambezi Delta
Carrying out meat and trophies - Coutada 14
Zambezi Delta march to the birds

Tired but happy
Buffalo
 
a swamp hunt in Mozambique is on my bucket list:-)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,239
Members
169,280
Latest member
JackieMund
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top