Left Handed 9.3x62

Fatback

AH legend
Joined
Aug 28, 2022
Messages
2,339
Reaction score
7,222
Location
Lowndes Co, Georgia
Media
69
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
2
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbawe and RSA
Wanted to share a few pics of the rifle I picked up Monday. It’s a 9.3x62, built on a left handed Winchester M70.

Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, GA built it for me. He has built me several rifles over the last few years and each one has been very good but I think this is the nicest one yet. Haven’t been able to shoot it yet, hopefully this Saturday.

It’s got a 24 inch barrel, 14.25 LOP, weighs in at 9 lbs, topped with a VX5 HD 2-10, barrel band swivel attachment, good iron sights, Timney trigger set at 3 pounds and had him use a stock I found and had David Campbell( thank you @Rare Breed for the recommendation) finish and checker for me. Figured y’all might appreciate taking a gander.
IMG_1323.jpeg
IMG_1324.jpeg
IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
 
Beautiful build! I had to do the same with my 9.3x62 build. It sucks being a lefty sometimes.
 
I have word from good authority that there is a run of Left handed 9.3X62 in production, think Hawkeye Alaskan configuration.
 
I have word from good authority that there is a run of Left handed 9.3X62 in production, think Hawkeye Alaskan configuration.
That would be good for lots of us lefties. I actually had a 9.3x62 built on a stainless/laminate stock configuration and cerakoted it. Mine doesn’t have the iron sights but other than that it would function similarly I’m sure.

Any idea when they might be available?
 
Nice. I've got a good reload for it using CFE 223 if you are interested. I think my son posted range results of my load in his rifle.
I appreciate the offer but I don’t hand load. When I use it around home I’ll just use the PPU factory ammo. When I get ready to take it to Africa, I’ll het some custom loads by Safari Arms or Hendershots, etc….

This rifle is just begging to be taken on a tracking Eland hunt, I think.
 
That would be good for lots of us lefties. I actually had a 9.3x62 built on a stainless/laminate stock configuration and cerakoted it. Mine doesn’t have the iron sights but other than that it would function similarly I’m sure.

Any idea when they might be available?
Hinted at a couple of months, they are also releasing a left handed 35 Wheelen.
 
She is a shooter. Sighted her in today. First 2 shots are the low ones, third was the high one. The 3 at the bulleyes were after final adjustments. 100 yards. Was just using some factory PPU ammo. Very pleased for the first time sooting the rifle.
IMG_1337.jpeg
 
Looks to be a shooter.
 
I have word from good authority that there is a run of Left handed 9.3X62 in production, think Hawkeye Alaskan configuration.
Short time lurker, first time poster

That would be great, closer
To the lipseys bush rifle? Or about like the current Alaskan?

I’ve been kicking around finding a left CRF action to have a similar rifle built in 9.3x62 so this would be a winner
 
Short time lurker, first time poster

That would be great, closer
To the lipseys bush rifle? Or about like the current Alaskan?

I’ve been kicking around finding a left CRF action to have a similar rifle built in 9.3x62 so this would be a winner
The Lipseys Bush Rifle. Stainless with laminated stock.
 
Lipsey will reserve all 5 of them for preferred dealers to sell on Gun Joker for 20% over retail. lol.
I have word lipseys is booked up on special orders with Ruger until 2028, and that includes zero LH actions.

When they come out I’ll happily buy one, but I’m firmly in the camp of, “I’ll believe it when I see it. “
 
@Fatback

IIRC, you have/had a 35 whelen as well. Many here are saying they are very similar cartridges ballisticly. Can you elaborate on why you chose the 9.3?

Can you comment on how the two compare?

Nostalgia only absolutely counts!
 
@Est.1970, there is not any real difference that I have seen between the 2 cartridges in terms of terminal preformance on game. Both have worked great on the animals I’ve shot with them. I think there is a few more premium loaded ammo choices for the 35 Whelen than the 9.3x62. I enjoy having rifles in both calibers/chambering but there is certainly lots of overlap and they are redundant, but I’ve never let that stop me from getting rifles before. I do have an affinity for some of the older cartridges and they both check those boxes, with the 9.3x62 having the edge there.
 
Nice. I've got a good reload for it using CFE 223 if you are interested. I think my son posted range results of my load in his rifle.
@Shootist43
Art that CFE223 sure is a versatile powder. Can be used in cals 17 REM upto 375 and more.
Bob
 
Beautiful build! I had to do the same with my 9.3x62 build. It sucks being a lefty sometimes.
@coreydb
Stop complaining about being a left handed, we rule the world.
The left hand side of the brain controls the right hand side of the body.
The right hand side ofe the brain controls the left hand side of the body.
Therefore only LEFT HANDERS ARE IN THIER RIGHT MIND. All others must be crazy but we're fine.
Bob
 
Hinted at a couple of months, they are also releasing a left handed 35 Wheelen.
@Bandera
One they bring it out in a left hand Whelen they will sell out very quickly. There won't be enough to go around.
My problem isn't being left handed it's being right eye dominant so forced to learn to shoot right handed.
Bob
 
She is a shooter. Sighted her in today. First 2 shots are the low ones, third was the high one. The 3 at the bulleyes were after final adjustments. 100 yards. Was just using some factory PPU ammo. Very pleased for the first time sooting the rifle. View attachment 741363
@Fatback
If'n that's with cheap ammo what would it be like with tailor made ammo for it, that's right almost as accurate as a 35 Whelen. Sorry mate just couldn't resist.
Well done
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,350
Messages
1,573,773
Members
169,850
Latest member
GRZFredric
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top