Layovers

buckshot85

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, GOA, CCRKBA,
Is a 1 hour layover in Atlanta heading to RSA enough time WITHOUT bringing a rifle?

No. Not enough time. Especially in today's travel.

I agree. It isn't long enough. Atlanta is a busy place! Give youself more time if at all possible.

ATL is a very efficient airport. Each terminal is connected by underground train. Assuming your plane is not late, that should be adequate time but does not leave you with much buffer. Hour and a half would be better.

They will be doing passport checks on that flight. I'd be very uncomfortable with less than the 1 1/2 hrs suggested above.
Bruce

Is a 1 hour layover in Atlanta heading to RSA enough time WITHOUT bringing a rifle?

No.

ATL is #3 international airport in the country in flight delays. Even if you depart on time from your original destination, flight delays in the air are common. If your flight into ATL is late even by a few minutes, 1 hour will not give you enough time to make your international connection even using the trains. If you are seated in the back of the plane, it might take you 30 minutes just to de-plane.

3 hours between your domestic and international connections is the minimum we suggest. There is only 1 flight per day departing ATL to JNB If you miss your outbound flight to JNB, you will lose a day. ATL has lots of bars and restaurants in the international concourse. Better to kill time there than sweat your connection.

Appreciate all input. Thanks, Guys.

Atlanta can be a real crap shoot especially in the summer. I travel through there a lot and summer storms can pop up and create unexpected delays.

i agree with the above, shoot for 3 hours to give yourself some cushion. There a re a few good BBQ joints to pass the time.

You may make it but your luggage will be hard pressed to make the connection. I wouldn’t do it.

If you can get a 3 hour or more. I've been an hour late on flights to Atlanta due to delays.
Plus you are catching a flight to Africa. If something happens and you miss it , it may take 3 or 4 days to get another flight. That comes out of your hunt time. Take the boredom of a lay over.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.58.58.png

An emphatic NO! Especially with the travel chaos going on.
When going to Namibia in ‘18, we were supposed to have a six hour layover in Atlanta before boarding for Johannesburg. Our flight out of Ohio was delayed by four + hours due to weather in Atlanta. When we got to Atlanta, we had to hump it to get to the gate. We no sooner arrived at the gate and they began boarding.
I hate the idea of lengthening an already arduous trip, but do what it takes to make sure you link up with your flight to Africa.

I’d sooner fly to Atlanta a day early and stay in a hotel than risk missing the 1 flight to JNB a day and losing a day of the trip. For my trip in 2023 I’ll be driving 5 hours to Atlanta to avoid a connection (I’ve been screwed over by airlines too many times to count)

I am sure hoping a fair amount of this BS is over by May/June of '23 when we go.

No more Covid testing or proof of vaccinations to enter South Africa or to return to the USA. So, in that regard, things are much better than they were even just a few months ago.

In regard to the airlines, it's a rough patch that will likely get better as time goes on. Allow yourself a generous berth terms of travel times, have a few cocktails at the airport, and you will be just fine. Africa is worth it!

1 1/2 hours is a crap shoot. Maybe enough time IF your connecting arrival is on time. Longer, even if really long, is much better than just barely enough time. Things happen. Driving to origination airport also has risks in arrival- break downs, speeding tickets, flat tires, heavy traffic, wreck slowing traffic, etc. Delays in arrival of connecting flights are common- especially lately. More is better!

On the driving to the airport, if it is a ways I would look into staying in a hotel the night before the flight leaves. This is what I did last month. I drove 2 hours to Denver and stayed in a hotel, got up the next morning and drove to the airport for my flight.

On both of my trips to South Africa I wondered about the connecting flights and crossed my fingers hoping that I would make all of them with no delays. I could care less on my trip home but I just want to get there with no problems.

So, as an add on question, if you will, do the flights to RSA from Atlanta utilize similar aircraft?
Like everyone else we are looking for room or 2 seat rows instead of 3-4.
The airline will probably be Delta, United, American. Chicago to Atlanta to Joberg.

So, as an add on question, if you will, do the flights to RSA from Atlanta utilize similar aircraft?
Like everyone else we are looking for room or 2 seat rows instead of 3-4.
The airline will probably be Delta, United, American. Chicago to Atlanta to Joberg.
I’m not 100% sure but you can check online to see which planes fly the routes for each airline and then find the seat layout. As for a row of 2, you might have to buy seats more expensive than economy regardless of airline (based on my somewhat limited intl flying experience…)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg