AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I recently acquired a Full stock 7x57 built on a Winchester Pre-64 action by gunsmith H.G. Bauchner. I purchased it at an Online auction and there was little information in the details but the gun got me excited so I bought it. The scope is a Kollmorgan built in San Antonio, TX. Sitting in a set of Stith mounts and rings. Surprisingly I had never heard of either so upon some research, the Kollmorgan Company has a very interesting over 100 year history, of note, they built periscope optics for US Naval Subs. The scope is a straight 4x and is quite clear with a fine crosshair reticle. Has anyone come across these scopes before?
I found this interesting, hope y’all enjoy it also.

C308A5D8-13C3-4431-96BA-9CD5D1BA3A9E.jpeg
C7DBFBDD-99AE-4214-9227-42A062F98299.jpeg

Attachments

• HistoryofKollmorgenAnniversaryBook-mobile.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 85
Well now, if that isn't just one of the coolest things I've never heard of. :unsure: Good read.

Beautiful rifle by the way, congrats!

Thanks for the history lesson and congrats on the new add!

Love your rifle. I have a kollmorgen 4x bear cub that came on my mannlicher 1956 MC. I still have the scope, but put a 3x9 on the rifle.

Love your rifle. I have a kollmorgen 4x bear cub that came on my mannlicher 1956 MC. I still have the scope, but put a 3x9 on the rifle.
That is what this scope is also. Appears that Redfield bought the Kollmorgan scope line in the 50’s at some point

Pretty interesting Cody, I have never heard of it either.

Pretty interesting Cody, I have never heard of it either.
I went through a 1953 copy of American Rifleman tonight and found the 4x listed under the Stith brand for 53 bucks. Pretty pricey for 53!

Nice rifle.
One of the attractions of the Kollmorgan (and Stith) Bear Cub scopes, to me at least, is that you can mount them in a G&H sidemount with the adjustment turrets ahead of the front ring. Jack O'Connor's first .375, a Griffin & Howe on a Model 70, was so equipped with a 2-3/4x. He had a beautiful .270 built by Biesen on a Mauser 98 with a 4x mounted this way also. It's a different look, but I like it.

Hello Bullthrower,

I have had two Kollmorgen 4x scopes. One marked Kollmorgen Bear Cub, but the next version of yours, with the turrets more centrally located. Te other marked Redfield Bear Cub, esentially the same scope but made just after Redfield bought the sporting riflescopes divition of Kollmorgen. Both had 26 mm one piece tube diameter and centered reticles.
To me, both, THE BEST AND MOST CORRECTED OPTICS OF ALL RIFLESCOPES I HAVE HAD OR HAVE. Period. I am not talking about max light transmition because the last multicoated optics excels on this, no mater that they were extremelly good. I am talking about resolution in the center AND IN THE EDGES of the field of view. AWSOME even by today standards....!
I did not any torture test on them but put one in my .375, after change the original fine cross hair reticle for a Nº 4 european style, work made by a VERY GOOD technician down here who is a specialyzed scope and binocular repair and modifications. I sold both to buy a Schmidt & Bender 4x36 as new scope, a great 4x scope by the way....But a big mistake not to keep one of those Kollmorgens....
The story of those after WWII Kollmorgens, first sold under Stith Mounts brand, was that Kollmorgen company had an unutilized facilities, materials and labor force after WWII so they made those scopes as good as they knew about making periscospes and so, only to keep the works going. The quality was, is, really incredible!!!
I still have a Redfield Bear Cub 1" tube scope. The first trully Redfield Denver made. It has a two parts body: tube one-objective bell other, screwed to the main tube. Also a very well designed scope!! Wide field, extremelly good optics and centered original duplex type reticle. Used, also, in my .375 for around 100 rounds without any issue. Anyway, I prefer the previous Kollmorgen and/or Redfield Kollmorgen 26 mm one piece tube centered reticle.

CF

Last edited:
Hello Bullthrower,

I have had two Kollmorgen 4x scopes. One marked Kollmorgen Bear Cub, but the next version of yours, with the turrets more centrally located. Te other marked Redfield Bear Cub, esentially the same scope but made just after Redfield bought the sporting riflescopes divition of Kollmorgen. Both had 26 mm one piece tube diameter and centered reticles.
To me, both, THE BEST AND MOST CORRECTED OPTICS OF ALL RIFLESCOPES I HAVE HAD OR HAVE. Period. I am not talking about max light transmition because the last multicoated optics excels on this, no mater that they were extremelly good. I am talking about resolution in the center AND IN THE EDGES of the field of view. AWSOME even by today standards....!
I did not any torture test on them but put one in my .375, after change the original fine cross hair reticle for a Nº 4 european style, work made by a VERY GOOD technician down here who is a specialyzed scope and binocular repair and modifications. I sold both to buy a Schmidt & Bender 4x36 as new scope, a great 4x scope by the way....But a big mistake not to keep one of those Kollmorgens....
The story of those after WWII Kollmorgens, first sold under Stith Mounts brand, was that Kollmorgen company had an unutilized facilities, materials and labor force after WWII so they made those scopes as good as they knew about making periscospes and so, only to keep the works going. The quality was, is, really incredible!!!
I still have a Redfield Bear Cub 1" tube scope. The first trully Redfield Denver made. It has a two parts body: tube one-objective bell other, screwed to the main tube. Also a very well designed scope!! Wide field, extremelly good optics and centered original duplex type reticle. Used, also, in my .375 for around 100 rounds without any issue. Anyway, I prefer the previous Kollmorgen and/or Redfield Kollmorgen 26 mm one piece tube centered reticle.

CF
Great information, thank you for taking the time to respond @Clodo Ferreira i am excited to shoot this rifle with this scope on it. A 4X is just about perfect on a 7x57 in my opinion so I may just change out the ugly recoil pad and keep her as is.

Hi Bullthrower,

You welcome! By the way, yours is the first model with two turrets but it has a non centered reticle. No problem if it has been mounted in line. Anyway, small amount of corrections, up-down or either side, are not really noted.
Very nice rifle, in my all time favorite cartridge and with my all time favorite fixed magnification scope!

Merry Christmas!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.